  1) Re: Solar tonneau cover
  2) KillaCycle in American Motorcyclist magazine
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Solar tonneau cover
  4) Re: Solar tonneau cover
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: EV achilles' heel
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: What batteries to try next?
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Grassroots charging infrastructure
        by jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) .57 modifier for LeadAcid,  Is it the same for AGM's, Li-On, etc.
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: gas taxes...
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) New electric series production race car
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Fined for not paying gas tax.
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Aircraft Starter generator
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Anyone heard of these Li-Ion batteries - or using them?
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Towing an EV
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Teenager with EV's on the brain
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Aircraft Starter generator
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Anyone heard of these Li-Ion batteries - or using them?
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: New Zillch Controller
I had a similar experience.  A few years back I worked at JITC and I asked
if I could charge at work.  They felt it was un fair to the other
employees to have DISA pay for my "fuel".  I pointed out that DISA paid
for public transportation at some locations in order to reduce traffic and
parking lot congestion, but no dice (paying for the power was not an
option since DISA does have income and therefor has no way to account for
the cash)

However, they had a 10kw solar collector (stirling generator) that they
let me hook up to occasionally.  Since this was a NREL test bed, they
weren't paying for the electricity.  The kicker was that they had the
generator hooked up to the main power and were using it anyway, so
electrically it didn't make a difference if I plugged in at the parking
lot or the base of the collector, put politically I had to plug in at the
collector.

> That would work.  I remember when I worked at a government research
> job, that I asked if I could charge my EV at work (I didn't have one
> at the time, but was going to buy one).  They said no plugging into
> the building, but we had a bunch of PV experiments sitting around not
> powering anything that I could plug into.  That would be fine, since
> the government didn't own the electricity from those....  ended up
> getting laid off instead of buying the EV then, but I still thought it
> was funny that I was allowed to use solar power to charge it, but not
> coal power.

> On 6/13/07, Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have seen some people who park a solar array at work on a trailer that
>> they plug into when they get there.  That way the 8 hours the car sits
>> in the parking lot it is charged from the array.

There's a wonderful picture and nice write-up of Killacycle in the latest AMA
magazine (July '07).  Last paragraph: "The eerie thing?  When Killacycle
launches, it's silent except for chain and tire noise."

And the whoops of the crowd!  :)

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

It depends on wether or not you'd find the reduced accessory voltage
acceptable or not.
WIth a DC/DC your accessory voltage stays at the normal voltage that it
was using the ICE and alternator (14-15V), with just a solar panel it will
sag to about 11V under load.  This means that you lights will be dimmer
and your wipers will run slower, etc.

Marty Hewes wrote:

> But to get to my parents place and back, if I
> started the generator
> when I left and reduced battery use the whole way, I could
> probably use a generator well less than 5kW and still make
> the trip (since it's charging while I'm parked there and
> stopped at lights).

Something that hasn't come up yet in this iteration of the range
extender discussion is that if the genset is charging while you are
stopped at lights, etc., then you need to consider the acceptability of
the noise and vibration, etc. of the genset running possibly flat out
essentially the entire trip.  Unless you spend much of the time stopped
the genset is unlikely to put much charge into the batteries (a 2min
stop will only allow about 0.6Ah into the battery at 20A, and anytime
the vehicle is in motion the genset output will largely or entirely go
toward offsetting the load rather than charging the battery).

This is particularly a consideration if you are not willing to put the
genset on a trailer instead of in the vehicle somewhere (I seem to
recall the trailer option being noted as unacceptable).

You also need to consider how you are going to connect the generator to
the battery.  Most gensets provide an AC output, and probably the
slickest way to adapt this to the battery pack is to put one of Rich's
PFC chargers between the two.  Set the current knob for the desired
amount of assistance and leave the voltage as for a normal charge.
Assuming a typical pack voltage in the ballpark of 120V, a PFC20 would
let you run the genset at a little over 50% output; a PFC50 (throttled
back) would let you run it flat out. (Many gensets aren't expected to be
run flat out for extended periods and will not last long used this way.)

The genset takes up space and payload in the EV, reducing the amount of
battery you can carry.  Depending on the distance you need to go, the
inherent range of the vehicle, and how much energy it consumes, a 5kW
genset might well get you there.  Only you can decide if the noise and
vibration that your otherwise silent EV gains from the onboard genset is
an acceptable compromise.

Who says you can't buy A123 batteries

http://www.buya123systems.com/prdeki.html

Contents:
- 6 High Power ANR26650M1 lithium ion cells, double tabbed
- Operation and String Assembly instructions
- Charge methods and specifications
$120 per developer kit.
The web site will prevent you from ordering 100 or more developer's kits at
a time but hey what kind of pack could I build with 594 of these things.

Developer Kit, ANR26650M1 High Power Lithium Ion Cells  $110.00 * 99 =
$10,890.00

Too bad there are no kits for their new battery.

http://www.a123systems.com/newsite/index.php#/products/cells32series/

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
The simple answer is: even GM thinks otherwise with their volt prototype.
first you don't want to have to do calculations before driving somewhere which even requires you to know the distance a priori. second, since LA EV range is quite limited a road trip would very quickly exhaust your idea since the generator would have to be able to provide almost all of it. third, when you are going to have the extra complexity to compensate for the current EV weakness, don't make another weakness. it has to be able to go unlimited or it will be a constant worry for people. fourth, this is where all the naysaying complacent stagnant designer/supporters for b2b apps come screaming out from under the bridge but I don't believe a 30kW combustion generator has to weigh terribly much. fuel and catalyst included

I reiterate that a 250cc motorcycle motor can have the needed power and at high rpm/phase velocity the electric generator can be quite small I believe. vis a vis the tesla roadster motor (which can be taken to further extremes). and there are other potentially lighter possibilities such as turbines. I wouldn't be surprised if a 30kW turbine/generator pair could be done under 1kg if high tech engineered

Dan

Oi... nice jab ;) Yeah, I probably should do sexier work, but darn those pesky bills every month.

Back OT, I never naysayed, I simply pointed out some numbers. You can read them as "wow, I like those numbers", or "those numbers are terrible". Depends on your point of view, I suppose. From a range-extending one (like others posted) the idea might have merit as long as one does not mind the price tag and pollution. $5000 is a commodity price for 15KW, mass-produced and all, with good reliability. I can only wonder what a one-off hotrod deal would cost.

Also, I'm terribly sorry, but I thought you guys were talking about stuff people (i.e. most list members) might actually be able to do - today - with what they could go buy. Not an engineering discussion for future development. If that's the case, I'll butt out and leave the speculation to those better equipped. An electrical and or mechanical engineer I am definitely not.

(BTW, I still want to test how well a Honda EU2000 might extend my boats electric range this summer. I'm not terribly hopeful, but who knows. I got to buy one for the camping activities anyways)
Geez..!

I've stopped at gas stations quite a few times for charge. To see how
far I can go after the conversion has been finished.

from all dozens of times they never even accepted money for it. :)

"we sell gas and toothbrushes, not electricity.."

I suppose it would be perfectly legal to charge me but no. But rarely I
need to charge for more than few kWh. I plan the routes before taking
the trip. (takes 30 sec in the back of brains). yes yes.. I admit. The
ICE warming outlets are all over here. I know 20 outles around my
commuting routes for a charge for free. Nearly every building has at
least one outlet outside for the heater.

Some times the clerks ask that how much the electricity will cost that I
will be charging. 2 hours with 3kW is the usual story. 60 euro
cents. Who cares..

So.. actually .. how many EVs you think you'll end up having in your
driving alleys ? Be realistic. 2-3 cases in a year. What a perfect time
for meeting a fellow EVer ! And if the same average Dan starts keeping
the car 5 days in a week theres a good chance for a deeper relationship
with other enthustiast. Don't you think ?

I've seen some coin operated electricity posts in market places. I have
a picture of it somewhere...  I tried to find the manufacturer for it.
Bankrupt (a reference ?? :) Design could be available for free.

BUT.. how about if we just let the electrons run free for the cause ? It
would draw more media attention too if the word gets out. If it get's to
levels of good biz... that's all good news too.

I was thinking this same thing for a long time until I canhged to
Lions. So far the daily trips can't meet the 50+ kWhr batt packs.
Charging over night at home/office. That's it.

I came up with the idea of magnet strip membership card for all EV
assosiation members. The memebership DB from assosiation server would
verify the outlet. It would also work for other use like earning plus
points from local ev gear store and give some discounts for other shops.
All negotiable.

Simple embedded Linux systems that fit in the heating outlet case. They
usually are 20 x 30 x 25 cm (8" x 12" x 10" ?). Run the twisted pair
from the CPU to router on the internet side of the firewall. Pair it to
one or few independent servers in the net. And you gat a nearly free
service. I believe I could get even freaking sponsors to upkeep the DB
and HW required.

So what to gain with this all mambo-jambo-multimedia-BS ?

You can see online if it is in use or not. So I added this feature in
the BMS too. (1 nerd, 1 night, 1 gallon Cola). You could (if such posts
would be available) see the free charging posts from the vehicles touch
screen overlaid on the local maps with GPS locations. Just tab it and it
tells you the shortes route.

Hmm.. actually.. why would not the vehicle CPU do the verification over
net it self. That would make this even easier.. hmm.. hmmm...

Am I in la-la-land again ??.. damn!

-Jukka

Chip Gribben kirjoitti:
Years ago I went to a Shell station near my office to see how much they would charge if I wanted to plug in. I had enough to make the round trip of 25 miles but was looking for place to charge just in case.

I tried to explain that drawing 7 amps for about 4 hours would not cost much if anything but the owner insisted on charging me by the battery like they would if someone brought in a dead battery to be charged. That was $35.00 per battery. So this guy wanted to charge me $560.00!!

Like I said, I tried all different ways till Sunday to say how much the utility was charging per kWhr and it would end up being less then $1.00 if I set my charger at 7 amps for 4 hours.

Chip

From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 12, 2007 4:20:35 PM EDT
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Grassroots charging infrastructure

How about if you have your 12 volt battery charge at a gas station, they
charge you and the battery.

Searched the archives and found this formula:

(Pack 20hr rate)x(Pack Voltage)x.57=Watthours

The above formula being related to Flooded Lead Acids.

Is this .57 modifier the same for all battery
technologies that can be used in EV packs? FLA, AGM,
NiMh, NiCd, Li-Ion, etc.?

IE: 210hr(20) x 120vdc x .57 = 14364 Whr, FLA
batteries

If not what is the modifier for determining the
battery pack's capacity for:

Spiral AGM's
Non Spiral AGM's
LA Gels
LiIon
NiMh
NiCd
etc....

Thanks in advance,   :)

LOL. I bet I would. ;)

(note: I don't like big government; I could go on, but I doubt you'd appreciate it).

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/06/12/lightning-car-co-to-use-altairnano-batteries-in-new-sports-car/
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This is outrageous. The government should be subsidizing alternative fuel efforts and instead they're "keeping the playing field level". Greedy sick bastards.

Driver ticketed for using biofuel
Vegetable oil sticks him with $1,000 fine

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/599471.html

Yes the article is biofuel but could be about any fuel including
electricity.

So this is my project now   a aircraft starter generator  on a Geo metro
convertible
The motor is 400 amp at 300 volts  permanent magnet..

So guys in lighting me .. What do I have to look forward to on my first EV