To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: How the Prius Works

MG1 is directly coupled to the ICE. They always run together, and MG1 is used to start the ICE as well as generate electricity (with MG2) when the vehicle is not in motion.

For example, If you leave your AC on sitting there, eventually the ICE will run briefly to recharge the pack.

There are NO clutches whatsoever. The MG1/ICE combo is on one mechanical "side" of the diff (planetary gearset) and the other "side" is MG2. In order for the ICE to run without the vehicle moving, MG2 has to run backwards at the same speed. To make the vehicle move the shuffle power from the MGs. Imagine slowly "braking" MG2 while the ICE/MG1 is running. The Braking is not wasted, it is electricity put into the pack. As the current is ramped up the vehicle begins to roll.

This can also be reversed for "pure electric" mode too. The ICE/MG1 can stay off, and just MG2 can run, albeit twice as fast, to move the vehicle. This is why electric only mode is speed limited.

The 4wd version used in the highlander and Lexus SUV simply adds a separate 3-phase motor at the rear wheels.

It's mechanically elegant and I am very impressed. If any of you on the list think it's crap, that just shows you aren't much of an engineer.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Mike Willmon
Date: 6/14/2007 12:18:48 AM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Aircraft Starter generator

Hey Phelps, that was the one guy you would really want to answer your
question, although you probably wouldn't know it. And he
Wasn't speaking English, that was jivanese, (that's what DC motorheads speak
after a hard day of wrapping windings). What he meant
Was that its really exciting working on a new conversion, and was making a
funny about it being too overwhelming to operate a
Camera being so excited (he was only speaking from experience of drinking 36
cups of coffee for breakfast and tearing into peoples
Brand new motors ;-) Just send him some pics of the thing, I'll be surprised
if he hasn't seen one.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Visit
> the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
> http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Wow,
this forum is pretty cool... it's my first forum...
Obviously an newbie... I want to say thanks already for the support of info..

In lieu of the weight of the vehicles.. I may in fact go with the Del Sol as
weight is an issue.  I want to make this an efficient vehicles.  Also, the wife
hated the Fiero I owned, even though, I've never enjoyed a vehicle as much
since.  My thoughts are the Fiero was great at it's weight, but I am imagining
handling issues with 500+ lbs of added weight.  Plus it may be easier to obtain
parts for the Del Sol.  I am still holding out for Lithium.. but it will have to
be the last component.. at that price I may build the car with a hitch and work
on the components and the engine compartment with lead acid towing in the rear.
   Then when I get the $$ saved up make a single full purchase of lithium
batteries.  It's going to take me a while just to get the electronics installed
properly.  I won't even begin purchasing components till at least Aug next year.

By then cost for Lith should drop 15 to 30% (I hope)
At the cost of Lith.. I could buy a lot of lead acid.

On 13/06/2007, at 3:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You must be referring to Thunder Sky batteries? Has anyone
> actually cycle
> tested these batteries and reported the results? I  would not go by
> their
> information posted. I would want to see a test with  the C rate
> needed for an EV?

The 160Ah cells I referred to were ThunderSky, yeah, though there are
a few other manufacturers around the same $0.50/Wh price point (e.g
Liteway, Huanyu). All the cheap ones are Chinese of course, which
might be a bit of a concern!

I haven't come across any independent cycle life tests for them yet,
no. Maybe I should set up a test rig doing 1C cycles and see how they
go. Hmm at ~12 cycles per day, it'd 6 months non-stop to reach 2K
cycles! Guess I'd better get started ;)

> The question that should be asked of Dave is how much does he have
> to  budget
> for this? Ian Do you have a link for the BMS?

A couple of suitable BMSs:

http://evpower.com.au/-Battery-Management-System-.html
http://metricmind.com/bms.htm

-Ian

> [...]
>> at work.
>> Your required 35 miles is going to be hard enough to  achieve with
>> lead acid.
>> You  will have to spend  between 30 and 50 thousand for the
>> batteries alone to
>>  go  70 to 90 miles. It also sounds like you are going to want AC?
>> You could
>> figure a  10 or 15% deduction when running that.  Or as others has
>> posted use a
>> cooler with  ice or  some other way without adding added drain on
>> the  pack.
>>
>> Low cost new technology batteries are not here  yet.
>>
>> Don Blazer
>>

>> In a message dated  6/12/2007 4:57:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  writes:
>> I am looking to build my own EV-Conversion  in the next 5  years,
>> but I know
>> very
>> little.  I am just  getting  started.  Most people have suggested
>> that my  first
>> vehicles be of DC  instead of AC in lieu of cost and  simplicity.
>>
>> I am going to purchase  either a 86 and above  Pontiac Fiero or a
>> Honda Del
>> Sol.
>>
>> Both  have body  styles I like and considerable aerodynamics.
>>
>>  This will be a commuter  vehicle.  I need to get at least 90  miles
>> per charge
>> as
>> my work is 35  miles  away.  I need to know I can get back and forth
>> on a  80%
>> charge..  ie over time and life of battery I can still drive  back
>> and forth
>> work.  I need to be able  to hit at least 70 mph Max highway speeds
>> out here
>>  (people are crazy) And I have to have air conditioning.. as I live
>> and work
>> in
>> the hot Arizona sun.
>>
>> My  question for the day is what is  the difference between
>>  different types of
>> batteries.  And also what is  "sag" And how  do 12v 18v and 6v bat
>> compare that
>>  context.
>>
>> Everyone  wants the lighter longerlasting Lith-ion  Valance bat's
>> but they are
>> not
>> yet   available....  Also, in some of the documentation I believe I
>> read that
>> you
>> can only have so many in series..
>>  (U-Charge RT Power System PDF 5th  item down on featurs * Series
>> connection
>> up to
>> 4 batteries)  If they  were  available would that be enough???
>>
>> Thanks for any help I will  be  reading and saving $$ for my
>> components.
>>
>>  Dave  Wells
>>

>>  ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>  This  message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging  Program.

planet, worm, worm, planet. no biggie :)
little gears we don't need

TrotFox Greyfoot skrev:
Chet,

Yes it could be used for EV's but once you've got two motors in there
anyway why not just link them up normally?  There's no reason to have
them turning at different speeds compared to each other.

Dan,

What worm gear?  There is no worm gear in the Prius E-CVT.

Trot, the frustrated, fox...

On 6/14/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
off the top of my head you would need two motors besides the relatively
complicated worm gear in a system that promises to eventually do without
any gears at all.
it's a needless complication

Chet Fields wrote:
> Trying to get back on topic, couldn't a similar design be used to create a CVT for EV's? Something > that would allow for torque multiplication at low speeds and yet low RPMs for high speeds.
>
> It would need 2 motors connected to probably sun and planetary carrier? Could also work kind of > like the series/parallel switching. And the controller would have to be more complicated. Would
> any of the motors need to also run backwards?
>
> Just trying to stimulate some thought. ( I don't want to burn my neurons on this one alone :-)
>
> Chet

> Some have an occasional need and know that renting a car will be the
> most efficient way for their transportation need <snip>

So , we Know, do we?
And we all Agree with you that your assessment on renting or keeping
multiple vehicles around is correct?

I apologize sir, I disagree.

1) does anyone actually have a generator on their vehicle, and know how
loud it is?
or is it all conjecture? "it must be noisy, and I don't like the idea, so
you must be crazy since I'm an environmentalist (and I'm right)..." is
hardly a valid argument.

2) is there any reason you can't voluntarily buy and install a catalytic
converter/quiet exhaust?

3) any reason you couldn't put a chain hoist in your garage (if you have
one) and put it on the back of your truck? (for those of you who have
trucks) - or trailer, if you have a different vehicle?

The entire exhaust on my old geo was $200, including a new catalytic (Yes,
I'm FAR-right-wing, and Yes, I care about the environment  - hence the
totally voluntary purchase of a catalytic converter on a vehicle that the
state didn't say I had to replace. I also care about what *terrorists* are
doing with the gas-money I give them). Just because you're an
environmentalist, doesn't mean you have all the answers.

We've all spent way more than that on our EVs, theres no reason you
couldn't tack on a catalytic, if you're concerned about the environment
and noise.

I have a camry. Once my EV is done, I'll drive it maybe once a month.
Since it will be so out of shape, it'll likely spew all kinds of goodies
into the environment, unless I could get rid of it - and use a small, more
easily managed motor, that I could fix and tweak, and improve, and modify
myself........No reason I couldn't actually take it to an inspection
station, and ask them to rate it for me after my tweaks.

If I had a range extender, I could sell the camry (recouping some of the
cost of the conversion of my truck) - and use my EV every day of the year.

A 50KW 9-inch generator, with a 30-hp gasoline generac, is about $2,500 at
Northern Tools (in the US). Moreover, I have a built-in emergency backup
for my house, should the power go out (yes, its really rare, so for me,
not a hefty argument in its favor).

You could get more current out of it if you tweaked the electronics.
As to noise, read #2 Above.

California is actually working to mandate catalytics on small engines I've
heard; perhaps the purchase of a generator from CA would be something that
you could consider.

Renting is problematic, as I don't want to have to deal with the
paperwork, hassle of picking one up - (and how do I get there? and do I
want to leave my precious EV there over the weekend?)  every time I go
visit family.

Using the same vehicle all the time, every time, would mean that I am
familiar with the vehicle, and less likely to have an accident while I'm
looking for some lightswitch (who gets familiar with the car before they
start driving it? Should we? Sure. Thats totally besides the point I'd
like to make here. I'd rather drive and smell my own vehicle, rather than
someone elses).

I think too, that putting a range-extender on my truck will cost less,
pollute less, than renting some diesel or poorly maintained u-haul with a
trillion miles on it, and towing my EV to events - never mind the
increased risk and unfamiliarity of towing a vehicle and unfamiliarity
with a larger vehicle (last time I rented a u-haul, I broke the mirror on
the rhs of the vehicle, thanks to small-town mailboxes that were too close
to the road... at least, in my opinion they were).

Moreover, depending on the city (as in Charlotte, NC) - rental taxes are
high...and you already know I hate big government, and those sobs already
steal too much from us.
Either your'e Democrat (Tax and Spend) or you're Republican (Borrow and
Spend) or you're Constitution party (as I am) - and you're not in office.
Tsk.

Finally, there's an Ontario guy who DOUBLED his range using a 5hp honda
motor, and a 7hp baldor motor (as a generator).
He can go ~ 100 miles, rather than 50.

http://www.vehiculevert.org/levehiculevert/index.php?lien=generateur

As to emissions, people carp all day about CO2.
Plants absolutely cannot survive without it, so I'm not sure why its
considered a pollutant (a "pollutant" required for survival? there's a new
one)- yet Al Gore (while flying charter, rather than commercial) says
practically nothing about Methane, which comes out both ends of cows, and
swamps all over.... and is  10 times the greenhouse gas that CO2 is - and
doesn't come out of either cars or generators, nor, as far as I know, can
most plants (or even humans) make any use of it (ahem, unless you *burn*
it.... and make it into ... by comparison, relatively harmless CO2).

Don't give me that "Al's Special" spiel either. Millions of *important*
people all over the world fly commercial, and they make their appointments
on time just fine. He's a hypocrite, just like every other single
politician in office. (and yes, I admit I'm a hypocrite in some areas too.
 I try to practice what I preach, but I'm not always successful. Al and
his ilk doesn't even try. Ever see John Edwards' house?
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=3848
).

For those that don't know, I've learned that the North American landmass
is a co2 sink... meaning the trees/plants we have here, suck up more co2
than we produce.
Does that mean I'm going to run out and set fire to my back yard, because
of this?
Of course not....

Ed "Carbon makes the world go 'round, and without it we die" Cooley

I apologize for the rant....
Best Regards to all...
Have a great weekend.

Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
06/14/2007 12:59
Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
cc

Subject
RE: EV achilles' heel

Huh?
If you want to prove a point then at least be clear what you
are referring to, as I mentioned a whole list of possible
solutions with associated drawbacks and even mentioned a
common perception problem, so which of those do you think
is "wrong"? And what is it that I should buy?

I am afraid that you do not know me well enough to make
any judgement, unless you do not care about truth.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb