        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 55 MPH Part II
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: vroombox and EV ?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: firefly batteries?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Selling or buying an EV
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Selling or buying an EV
 12) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Controler
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 55 MPH Part III
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Controler
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) how to control my separately excited DC motor....
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Controler
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Controler
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Controler
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: FW: Regen with Sevcon and Etek
All,

I know the list loves good news: the RAVolt made her maiden voyage over the weekend!

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUv3wZQTcQE

Rob H
RAVolt.com & EValbum 995

You (and Dan) are correct.  What I meant to state is that the "charge" flows
near the speed of light and thus carries to the conclusion that Amps (or
electrical current) is a measure of the amount of "charge" that flows past a
certain point in 1 second.  A coulomb of charge being equal to that of 6.023^23
electrons.  I didn't mean to get into the tricky details of electron drift,
which as you say can be on the order of mm/sec.

The analogy that works for me is that of the little contraption with the steel
balls suspended in a straight line from some string.  Swing 1 ball out and let
it go.  It contacts the mass of other balls and (almost) instantly the Energy
is transfered to the ball on the opposite end and it flies up into the air.
Now the number of balls (analogy for the electrons)  that move from one end of
the line to the other is small (zero in this case).  But the energy contained
in the original ball  has moved almost instantaneously.

Without getting too technical but trying to remain technically correct, I meant
to state that the propagation velocity of the charges remain nearly the same,
at a high percentage of the speed of light,  in a constant medium.

Thanks for the correction.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: 55 MPH Part III
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:14:24 -0700

Phil Marino wrote:

Although this idea is sound, there are no commonly used units that make the above equation true.

It might be clearer to say the HP = C x torque x RPM, where C = 5252 HP/ft-lb/RPM, and torque is in ft-lb, This is the number you give a bit later on. I'll show where that number comes from.

Power = Torque * rotation speed, period.

I agree, Victor. But that's not what I had a problem with. The equation I didn't like was:

HP = torque x RPM.

If it's written that way, someone will certainly plug in some value for torque, and RPM, and expect to get a number out that equals the power (expressed in HP). They would get the wrong answer.

As to metric units, you're right. The world of engineering would be an easier place if everyone used metric units all the time. But, us old dogs don't learn that quickly.

And, in the US, it's easier to find a 1/4-20 screw than a 6 mm one. And, you can't go into Home Depot and find a metric measuring tape.

Phil Marino

By the way, even in metric units, expressing power in terms of torque and rotational velocity is not obvious and simple.

A watt does not equal a newton-meter of torque times a revolution per second.

Instead, a watt equals a newton-meter of torque times a radian per second. And, who uses radians?

"C" is something you add when use different that metric units - it is for your convenience, but not in definition of power.

It would be oh so much easier if everyone would just use metric units,
but we've gone through this before and as with everything, people stick with what is more convenient to them.

Wonder if when ft*lb is mentioned why is it not also specified
if it's British lb or US lb. So much for the "convenient" system.

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507
'Nother thing you might check is that the brush leads are not
pinched between the bell-housing and the frame of the motor (or
was it the edge of one of the screws in the brush assembly? - now
I'm getting fuzzy...).  Anyways, back in 2005 when I was
replacing the battery pack, I had plenty of daylight and space to
check over the 8" ADC in my mod VoltsRabbit conversion.  My blood
pressure went up several clicks as I came to terms with the
significance of the wire with the copper snot hanging off of it
at the end of my motor in the brush area.  I had the car down at
Redwood City at a fellow EV'ers place, and within an hour or two
of  having an extensive and rather frustrating discussion with my
EV friend, I decided to place a "Please Help!" call down to Ot in
Palo Alto (I watched Ot disassemble/re-assemble an 8" ADC at the
Phoenix raceway in the mid '90s, and was rather impressed.).
Otmar was very helpful in saving me from this fix, dropping
everything in the evening and bringing a brush wire rigging from
one of his motors (albeit a 9") up to Redwood City and helping me
install it.  Ot and I both came to the same conclusion, that one
of the brush leads had slipped down, or had always been there,
back in between the bellhousing and motor frame / brush assembly
screw, pinching and wearing through the insulation, causing a
short and melting the wire.  I don't know how long the motor was
running on less than the full complement of brushes, but I did
check the motor during the previous battery swap in 2001 and
don't recall seeing any problems.  Fortunately, it didn't damage
the controller.  So the moral of the story is to perhaps check
where those brush leads are going, and if they appear like they
might get pinched, do something about it.  They can and do get
messed up.

8.5" motor?  A 9" rigging makes for a full house, although it
does not seem to have presented any problems in things getting
warm (lack of airflow).  I haven't checked in there since 2005,
but everything runs...

Chuck

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:38:48 EDT
Subject: Re: FW: Regen with Sevcon and Etek
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

The Sevcon Millipak is a very smart controller. It is basically made for
fork truck and Walkie operation which means it has features you'll never use.
It
is not really set up to be a electric vehicle controller but with all of the
features it can work very well as one.
Sevcon Millipak braking levels are set using personalities 1.01, 1.02 and
1.03. each is stated in %.
1.01 is direction braking, it is activated by going from forward to  reverse.
1.02 is Neutral braking level, it is activated by going to drive to  neutral.
1.03 Footbrake braking, for use if you have a footbrake configured.
Choose 100% for maximum braking or lower for less braking.
There are also finish levels you can set (1.05) and start voltage levels
(1.04) I'm not entirely clear on these but my finish voltage is at max 255
which
will leave the regen braking on as long as possible.
There are other controls at 11.1, and 11.11 which can be set up when using  a
pot for a footbrake.

I am using the neutral braking option. It is easy to set up and gives good
braking performance. I have it connected to the back footbrake pedal by
microswitch. I wish I could use the footbrake option with pot so that I could
get
variable regen but I haven't figured that out yet.
 Because I have a 4 speed on my bike I can always get good regen. I  see my
ammeter at -100 occasionally even though I am only using 13Ah Hawkers  (tough
little bastards) For accelleration I can ask 250A monentarily on a fresh
charge. Not too good for them, but they were surplus and cheap.
One thing I almost never hear when people are discussing the merits of  regen
is that the large surface charge will really get you off the line without
taxing the remaining battery charge too much.

Back to the tech. My regen with this controller does taper a bit with speed
but in my first gear I can regen right to a stop. Regen is strong enough to
be the noisiest operation due to reverse torque on the transmission. Regen is
also stronger when the batteries are not fully charged.

So it sounds like your etek and millipak is operating just like mine except
my gearing is lower.
Of course none of this will be of help to you if you don't have a
calibrator.

Oh and if you learn to use a footbrake pot for variable regen please let me
know I would love to try it out.

                                   Rick Miller
                                   Dirty Green Kawasaki