  1) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Cheap_=22balancer=22_for_A123_pack?=
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS & RE: Make It - Enough!
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: firefly batteries?
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: An Ebay find?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: vroombox and EV ?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Controler
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Make it
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Make it
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: firefly batteries?
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: how to control my separately excited DC motor....
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: How low can you go?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Re: vroombox and EV ?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: A123 and Shauns website
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 6/27/07, Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lots of questions that have been asked and answered before on this
list. Here are the answers again:

Cycle life = > 10,000 cycles to 90% DOD to 50% remaining capacity.
(1000 to 95% remaining capacity)

Larger cells are going to happen in a year or so. (Small cells
parallel excellently, so I don't get why folks care about this.)

Cycle life = > 10,000 cycles to 90% DOD to 50% remaining capacity.
(1000 to 95% remaining capacity)

Larger cells are going to happen in a year or so. (Small cells
parallel excellently, so I don't get why folks care about this.)

Hello Bill and other fellow EVers,

I've been a lurker of the EV list archives for a few years but it is
only now that I've decided to sign up and participate. The reason for
this is A123 batteries (and the discovery of Gmail!)

I'm very excited about the potential for A123 batteries to change the
automotive industry, particularly with PHEVs initially. They appear to
be a very "switched on" company, backed up by a superb product.

The RC guys (oh, for a "cheap" hobby!) seem to have done a lot of
excellent real-world testing of the M1 cells at the micro level and
are very pleased with the results, particularly when compared with
other's like Kokam etc. and that's good enough for me.

There are two hurdles that I see obstructing my investment in them however.
 1. Upfront Cost.
 2. BMS.

I've had a quote from A123 Systems for 1500 of the M1 cells and their
price was competitive with other Li when life-cycle is considered
(10,000 cycles to 50% is awesome), however I'd hope that a "group
purchase" might bring this price down closer to what I can
realistically afford upfront. I'm not asking for you to comment on
this because I know it's not your area.

So, on the BMS issue;
In rough dimensions I'd probably have approximately 40 groups in
series, with 30 paralleled cells in each group, to replace my current
12 X 12V 100Ah(C20) lead pack.

My first question is; Do the 30 individual cells in a parallel
grouping need individual attention or can I treat them as one because
they are in parallel with each other? In other words, when charging
"all" that I need to do is make sure each group of 30 cells reaches
3.6V but no more?

Sorry if you've answered this question before but I haven't managed to
stumble across it in the archives.

Thanks for your time and thank-you to all the other outstanding
participants in the wonderful EVlist community.

Shaun Williams.

www.electric-echo.com

Shaun Williams wrote:

>So, on the BMS issue;
>In rough dimensions I'd probably have approximately 40 groups in
>series, with 30 paralleled cells in each group, to replace my current
>12 X 12V 100Ah(C20) lead pack.

>My first question is; Do the 30 individual cells in a parallel
>grouping need individual attention or can I treat them as one because
>they are in parallel with each other? In other words, when charging
>"all" that I need to do is make sure each group of 30 cells reaches
>3.6V but no more?

yes, take care of each 3,2V cell group as a big cell.
You can go to 3,7V-3,8V for maximum capacity or 3,6V max for little more cyclic
life.

Philippe
the Froggy guy here ;^)

------------------------ ALICE C'EST ENCORE MIEUX AVEC CANAL+ LE BOUQUET !
---------------
Découvrez vite l'offre exclusive ALICEBOX et CANAL+ LE BOUQUET, en cliquant ici
http://alicebox.fr
Soumis à conditions.

Dan

You've asked this same question over and over again. Many knowledgeable and experienced people have answered you - over, and over and over again. They're probably getting tired of trying explaining this to someone who refuses to believe them, and insults them at the same time.

You apparently just don't want to hear the answers - that it takes a lot of experience, time, and money to build an EV controller

That's fine. Just go ahead and build one that works. Then let us know how easy and cheap it was.

Please stop asking the same question.

Phil Marino

From: Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: VOLTS vs AMPS & RE: Make It
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:07:16 +0200

Lee, many keep saying that it's so impossible.
what is so time consuming about assembling it? where is the great difficulty that ensures it will cost more?

please try to be specific, not just the 'try it, you will fail' mantra
why will it fail

Dan

Lee Hart wrote:
I'm a good engineer, and a pretty good technician. I *have* built products of this sort. In my experience, it is impossible to build your own Curtis controller for less money than Curtis charges, unless you place no value on your time, your tools, and your training. If you think you can do it, be my guest! Give it a try! Even if you fail, you will have learned a lot. We'll talk more when you've finished.

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507
There's a lot of mention about Firefly but I've never seen anything on this
company:

http://www.pwtcbattery.com/

Does anyone know anything about them?

that gives answers, not web links.

The power level of a grid tie inverter is actually quiet low. The ones I
have seen are 10A at 240V. 1/2 the size of the smallest PFC charger

Thats because even 10A at 240v takes $13,000 of PV modules to
generate.....  You can get them up to about 7kW if you want -- which
is more like $30,000 of PV modules.

On 6/26/07, Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The power level of a grid tie inverter is actually quiet low. The ones I
have seen are 10A at 240V. 1/2 the size of the smallest PFC charger

Hey Danny,

I am pretty sure this was listed several weeks ago and
sold for $50,000, which looked like the reserve.
Looks like the same vehicle and seller, so I guess the
first deal fell through.  See closed item no.
330123033575.  Got deep pockets?

Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Caravan-NiMH-EV-Chrysler-EPIC-Electric-Vehicle-Rare-Collectors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6193QQihZ014QQitemZ330136589927QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

> Wow I hadn't even heard of that one.
>
> 80 mile range.  There are only 14 hrs left and it's
> only up to $15k!
>
> Danny
>
> Joseph T. wrote:
>
> > I can't read what you're saying (go to Gmail where
> you can choose to
> > have "plain" text)
> > but I'll comment about an Chrysler EPIC I saw on
> ebay with NiMH I
> > think. Super rare car!
> >
> > On 6/25/07, Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * *
> >> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---
>         *
> >> *     This post contains a forbidden message
> format       *
> >> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML
> formatting)  *
> >> *       Lists at  sjsu.edu only accept PLAIN TEXT
>         *
> >> * If your postings display this message your mail
> program *
> >> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs
> adjusting  *
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * *
> >>
> >> ----

There were some problems in the past with trace inverters that supported
battery backup. Their gen-switch didn't and it backfed the lines during
an outage. This was discovered by the guy working on the lines that
assumed it was dead. This prompted a law in california that says you
can't have active autonomy. It has to be a manual switch.

So I have a sunnyboy inverter, very popular in CA. and it uses the line
cycles to create and time the AC it creates.  It is damn frustrating
that when the power goes out on a sunny day that I have no power. I have
planned on remedying this.

But here is the rub.
    We are use to infinite power at our fingertips, lets say I am useing
3Kw because the AC is on but the panels are only producing 2.5kw
    When the power goes down, the panels can't supply the requested
load. Major brownout and damaged equipment may ensue.

This adds a new dimension to the project. To use the car as a whole
house backup it needs to supply more current than you think you need.
These are motor controller like power levels 200A at 240V, so that is
probably why AC propulsion uses the controller silicon to do the job.

I suppose xantrax sells "off-grid" units that will work without the grid
there, but i bet they are expensive for their power level.
Stationary generators often have backup, they must have some way of
inverting the output.

----- Original Message ----- From: "GWMobile" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:06:38 -0400

What kind of math is required and, or recommended to become an
electrical or mechanical engineer?

I hear alot people saying that they're engineers here, so this will
determine if it's a bluffing!

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Thanks Jim,

Hope you didn't have to saw one in half.

Jeff

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>