  1) Re: How low can you go?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Custom Gears
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Make it
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Make it
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Cheap
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS & RE: Make It
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Make it
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Custom Gears
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: vroombox and EV ?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: vroombox and EV ?
        by Jerry Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Anderson disassembly (AKA Duh ...)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Anderson disassembly (AKA Duh ...)
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Custom Gears
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Make it
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Chances of working for an Auto Company
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DC/AC converter (EV to Grid/Home)
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Chances of working for an Auto Company
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Anderson disassembly (AKA Duh ...)
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Chances of working for an Auto Company
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: regarding the Solectria Sunrise
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 29) Re: Make it
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: Ultimate magnetic motor design
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
You can set the LBVI in the option menu for about 5 volts higher then what
you set the LBV, which will give you a advance warning that you are in with
of the low voltage limit.

From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:22 am
Subject: Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Thanks Jim,
>
> Hope you didn't have to saw one in half.
>
> Jeff
>

> --- Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Lee, Jeff
> >
> > The L91 has just one wire per slot, although there
> > is
> > a bottom and a top winding, so depending on how you
> > count it, lol.  I've not seen the X91.
> > Hope this helps 8^)
> > Jim

> > It's here! Your new message!
> > Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.
> > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/
> >

> ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy?
>  Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and
> lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

I can remember a few more classes that I took in EE at Auburn in the
early 80's:  Add

Boolean algebra (the only math I still use at work today)
EM Fields required triple differentials/integrals
Control Theory required math so strange I can't remember the name of it
And Circuits III had so much math that we all rejoiced the last day
when we finally saw our first CIRCUIT in that class.
The worst math for me was matrix math in a ME class, Strengths of Materials.

The math required for EE was a serious chore for me - even though I
didn't have to take 2 quarters of calculus from my AP test scores.

Then, when I began my BSEE program at Arizona State, 1981-1984
Calculus II
Elementary Differential Equations
Elementary Linear Algebra
Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists
Probability/Statistics for Engineers (elective)

> I don't consider the design a cost since
> that's a one off so don't mention that

so all software should be free? since there are no hard costs, only design
costs, and those don't count?

m.

Michael Wendell
Speedgoat Bicycles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Win a $5000 custom mountain bike, and help fight breast cancer!
http://www.speedgoat.com

  How long does it take you to "clutchlessly shift" compared to when
you shifted with the clutch?

Joseph,

> Tell us later about the performance!

I'll post this after I get my DC-DC converted online.

> And a little question for you...In order to go in reverse do you
> need a forward/reverse contactor? You can just shift in to reverse
> instead, right?

I use the transmission for reverse - the motor always runs the same
direction.  Clutchless shifting has been a breeze so far: it drops
right into gear without any grinding.

Rob
RAVolt.com

Lee,

Jim gave us a take on it.  I guess it boils down to
how you define 2.  The way I see it, each coil has two
coil sides which pass through the magnetic circuit.
These coils have just one turn but still have 2 sides.

I have never been up close and personal with an ADC
motor, but from what I have gathered, they pretty much
used the Prestolite designs, of which I am very
familiar.  So, for the benefit of this discussion and
to those who feel ADC is getting rich by selling $40
of copper and steel for 10 to 20 times that and want
to make those motors themselves, I'll spill the beans
on how to wind an armature.

The coils are preformed and look like hairpins at
first, and are called such.  Then they are spread to
the proper span forming an end turn at the end
opposite comm and the proper throw is formed on the
ends to connect to the comm.  They end up looking like
frog legs.

When the armature is wound, the coils are inserted
into the slots.  Let use 37 for an example.  There are
37 slots in the core and a comm with 37 bars.  You use
37 preformed coils.  Side one of coil one is placed in
the bottom of slot one and the leg is put into the
riser on comm bar one, which is about 45 degrees
offset.  Side two of coil one is left hanging.  Then
side one of coil 2 is placed in the bottom of slot 2
and the leg is connected to comm bar 2.  Side two of
coil 2 is left hanging.  This continues, putting the
coils' side ones into the bottom of the slots leaving
the side 2s hanging.  Then, side two of coil one is
placed in slot 10, on top of side 1 of coil 10, and
leg 2 of coil 1 is connected to comm bar riser 19 on
top of leg 1 of coil 19.  Next, side 2 of coil 2 is
placed in slot 11 on top of side 1 of coil 11 and its
leg to bar 20.  This follows around until complete.
You end up with a 37 slot wave wound armature having
one turn per coil, 4 pole.

You put two pieces of copper (or conductors, or wires)
in each slot, one or top of the other.

I don't think even you would attempt to draw that in
this format.

Jeff

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Major wrote:
> > Those slots have 2 wires in them, don't they?
>
> I thought it was one, but I'm going by memory. Jim
> Husted would know.
> Jin, you got your "ears" on? Have you seen the
> internals of an ADC L91
> and X91 for comparison?
>
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

 for the edge of your seat?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- we all have limited skills. that's not the issue. I see people making points that are well below their skill levels. lies essentially, motivated by a need to make me look wrong. I don't abuse people of fixed skill but I do defend when irrationally attacked. there is a curious love of status quo in some subscribers and an unhealtly love of icons. Jim Husted just accused me of starting sweat shops and generally being to blame for job migration to low wage countries when all I'm trying to do is work out an open source cheap controller design such that we can proliferate the EV. that's an irrational attack and well below his intelligence.

Dan

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Perhaps that is the problem. Perhaps those on this list that you have been insulting is not as smart as you. That is not their fault. That is just the way it is. Everyone has been trying to explain, at scream level, that their accomplishments are the result of years of grueling hard work - not geniusness. I certainly can not imagine how years of work can be explained in just a few sentences sufficiently that someone could duplicate those years of progress. If that were possible, I don't think universities would exist. But then I am certainly no genius.

From my personal design experience, a major element of the design is always to keep it simple. With that effort, a current project requires a 10" X 12" 90 mil PCB with 3 oz copper and 10 mil traces. Low bidder for that cost $450.00 for three proto boards. The capacitors, including low ESR high ripple current Illinois Capacitors are $272.87. The resistors, SMT capacitors etc. come to $112.18. The controller chips, transistors and power MOSFETS come to $208.48. The inductors came from low bidder which was $400.00. The inductors had to be custom built because I could not find any off the shelf units that even come close to fitting the use. I have yet to get quotes from a machine shop to fabricate the heatsinks. So that comes to $1443.53, not including the heatsink, enclosure, hardware, or labor. This is all for a 140 Amp DC-DC converter. I have spent almost a year trying to simplify the design to get the price down and that is the best I have managed so far. My point is I simply do not know how to describe in a few sentences how to do what you are asking, or get the cost in line with your beliefs.

You can call me stupid as I don't claim to be smart. But, just like everyone else on this list that you are attacking, I am WORKING on it.

Ken

Shaun Williams wrote:
> In rough dimensions I'd probably have approximately 40 groups in
> series, with 30 paralleled cells in each group, to replace my
> current 12 X 12V 100Ah(C20) lead pack.
>
> My first question is; Do the 30 individual cells in a parallel
> grouping need individual attention or can I treat them as one
> because they are in parallel with each other?

My view is that you're taking chances by simply paralleling so many cells. If
one shorts, the other 29 in parallel will dump all their energy into it. This
is the first step in a disasterous chain reaction.

At the very least, I think you need a fuse in series with each cell. It will
blow if that cell sees excessive current. If you make it a thermal fuse that
will open if the cell temperature exceeds X degrees, it will also disconnect
the cell if it ever overheats.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

From: Dan Frederiksen
> Lee, many keep saying that it's so impossible.
> what is so time consuming about assembling it? where is the great
> difficulty that ensures it will cost more?
>
> please try to be specific, not just the 'try it, you will fail' mantra
> why will it fail?

Part 1:

Right at this moment, I have a student assembling relay boards for my battery
balancer. The board is very simple; there are 8 relays, 8 resistors, 8 LEDs, 8
diodes, 9 fuses, and 14 connectors. How long do you think it takes him to
solder it together? I'm paying him $8/hour, so what do you think it costs?

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Yay!

Dan has finally convinced me to learn how to block a sender in Gmail!

Knowing is half the battle, right?

Trot, the blocking, fox...

Rob Hogenmiller wrote:
Is there a well known company that makes custom gears/sprockets to go on splined shafts?

Rob,

I had the same problem a while back. Roger Stockton was kind enough to purchase a hub (that he saw at his local auto parts store) and mail it to me. However, the hub in quesiton is made by "Hub City," and the have several products. Below is linked to the page that had my shaft. A little noodling on the website will likely find you a hub that you can use. The hubs are designed to have whatever size sprocket you want welded onto them.

Hope this helps.

http://catalogs.hubcityinc.com/farmrev/nonPTOproducts.html#4

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Bob when some aggressive fool in an oh-so-correct EV knocks your 85 year old Mom down in a crosswalk, you might not be so keen on so-called Darwinian selection. ;>) Its important to remember that not all people are 25 yr old athletes, who only eat granola, and don't own a cell phone. Some people are toddlers, and some are blind, and some are simply stoned all the time. Still not ok to mow them down.

In fact pedestrians should have the right of way. They are using a lot less resources than any motorized vehicle, after all. In CA they do have the right of way in a cross-walk, not that we encourage walking out here.

Wow thats my most politically correct post ever!
JF

Bob Rice wrote:

 -

Garret's right, but we can't let Darwin's Law run it's course. Sigh! This is why there arre so many stupid people out there!

Lee

Any idea when you might be taking orders? This year? Next year?

Dave Cover

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lee wrote:
> >> Batteries
> >>     central battery tunnel slides out the front for easy servicing
> >>     size 120"L x 12"H x 15"W, 1500 lbs, holds up to 24 T-145 6v 240ah
> >>     (24 GM/Ovonic nimh, 12v 90ah)
>
> Rush asked:
> > Balancers with the batteries?
>
> The whole point of the Sunrise kit is to provide a "glider" for builders to
> attach their own
> parts as desired. The Solectria Sunrise took the "high tech" approach; AC
> motor, carbon fiber
> composites, expensive batteries, etc. That provided one price/performance
> data point.
>
> So, we are building one that goes in the opposite direction, to provide a
> data point at the
> other end of the curve. DC motor, cheap batteries, ordinary fiberglass, etc.
> We're using flooded
> golf cart batteries, because they are the *cheapest* you can get. I'll
> probably put one of my
> Battery Balancers in it just for instrumentation and data logging; but not
> balancing.
>
> --
> I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum.
> -- Frances Willard
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

What ever happened to "look both ways before stepping out on the street"???  My
EV may not make much noise, but a lot of cars I pull up next to are just as
quite at a stop light. Most newer cars make no noise at all at slow speeds.
How about a Prius?  Are they going to put noise makers on Toyota cars?

I'm voting for quiet EV's.

Jerry

From: Dave Cover
> Lee
> Any idea when you might be taking orders? This year? Next year?

We won't take orders until we have something to sell. The first part for sale
will be plans; basically, documenting how we built our prototype sufficiently
detailed so you can build one yourself. That will probably become available
later this year.

>From there, we will be refining the design to make it easier to build, and
>one-by-one, tooling up so we can offer the various custom parts (chassis,
>body, custom fabricated parts like the rear subframe, etc.) If this goes well,
>these parts will become available next year.

Eventually, in a year or two, I hope we can offer a fairly complete kit; you
provide the donor car, buy the motor, batteries, and controlle of your choice,
and bolt it all together!

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- as the father of two college students, I can tell you that two years of HS calc is common. They weren't very serious about differential equations or linear algebra at my kid's (public) HS though. A few HS kids took college courses in those, but not many. Many kids got 4's or 5's on the AP calc test.
the below looks like my daughter's physics requirements. The math majors go off
into some stuff I can't even describe.

just check any college website for actual requirements

HTH
JF, an English major

John A. Evans - N0HJ wrote:

Then, when I began my BSEE program at Arizona State, 1981-1984
Calculus II
Elementary Differential Equations
Elementary Linear Algebra
Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists
Probability/Statistics for Engineers (elective)

john

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Okay, so I just received two Anderson SB350 connectors. Being the super-genius that I am, I pushed the contacts all the way in to see how well the connectors mated. Now I'm wondering if there's a non-destructive way to remove the contacts again. Common sense tells me to push them all the way in, then put a skinny screwdriver between the contact and the spring (from the wire side), then draw out the contact. Or is there a better way?

Really don't want to break the nice plastic housing.

Hello Eric,

That exactly what you do.  Use a small thin blade screw driver to push the
locking spring back.  In our electrical work, we did thousand of these types
of connections that range from 15 amp to 400 amp size using a small screw
driver or a thin flat spring steel ejection and installing tools, which one
looks just like a small flat bladed screw driver.

Some auto parts store have ejection and installing tools for the GM water
proof connections that also work on the Anderson connectors.

> Okay, so I just received two Anderson SB350 connectors.  Being the
> super-genius that I am, I pushed the contacts all the way in to see how
> well the connectors mated.  Now I'm wondering if there's a
> non-destructive way to remove the contacts again.  Common sense tells me
> to push them all the way in, then put a skinny screwdriver between the
> contact and the spring (from the wire side), then draw out the contact.
> Or is there a better way?
>
> Really don't want to break the nice plastic housing.

Eric,

I see the coupler in your link that I could have welded a sprocket to
and used in attaching to my 13 spline motor shaft.  I was hoping that
machining a hub would not be so expensive, as I took that route.  Your
resource is very good as many shaft sizes and spline counts are covered.

Alan Brinkman

> Is there a well known company that makes custom gears/sprockets to go
> on splined shafts?

Rob,

I had the same problem a while back. Roger Stockton was kind enough to
purchase a hub (that he saw at his local auto parts store) and mail it
to me.  However, the hub in quesiton is made by "Hub City," and the have

several products.  Below is linked to the page that had my shaft.  A
little noodling on the website will likely find you a hub that you can
use.  The hubs are designed to have whatever size sprocket you want
welded onto them.

Hope this helps.

http://catalogs.hubcityinc.com/farmrev/nonPTOproducts.html#4

    >> I don't consider the design a cost since that's a one off so don't
    >> mention that

    Michael> so all software should be free? since there are no hard costs,
    Michael> only design costs, and those don't count?

The notion is that design cost is a one-time cost, amortized over the total
production run of the product.  If the number of units produced is high
enough, design costs are dwarfed by other factors (raw materials, parts
costs, manufacturing labor, testing, etc).

Of course, in the current EV controller market that doesn't mean anything
since the production volume is so low (essentially only hobbyists and
racers).  Design costs are going to be a significant fraction of each unit's
cost.  It would be different if GM decided they wanted to buy 1M Zillas for
the Volt.  Then Otmar would have a whole 'nuther set of problems, but they'd
be the good kind of problem.  Like how big a sailboat to buy and where in
the Caribbean to retire.  ;-)

(I assume we are still talking about Zillas and Zilla "clones", right?)

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

What do you guys think are the chances of working for an Auto Company?
(you know, designing cars and stuff)

If you're running a DC-DC converter, for your
auxillary power to headlights, etc, then you could
feed that output to the battery input of a standard,
computer UPS which would then convert it to 120vac.
Sort of a round about way to do things, but it seems
good in theory.

Depending upon the amperage drawn off the 12volt
battery of your UPS, you'd need to make sure your DC
to DC converter could handle that amperage without
overheating, etc.

That's what we did during the week without power after Hurricane Wilma. We limited ourselves to crucial things, running the computers and the pump for the solar hot water heater!

Here is the link : http://www.proev.com/StaticPg/WilmaNotes.htm

Cliff
www.ProEV.com

Joseph,