  1) Another, fairer comparison
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Bradley GT Electric
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: LED headlights
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) "Remainder of Message Truncated" ( Was Re: todd pc25lv dc-dc ...)
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Bradley GT Electric
        by "Don Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) EV Workshops
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: limiting wire
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Zivan ICS 200 Avcon charging problem
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: fusing charger & DC/DC
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: a little thought problem for the list
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Speed Reducers in the Nose
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Battery Boxes and Heating
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Ping!
        by ROBERT RICE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Speed Reducers in the Nose
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Speed Reducers in the Nose
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) using a 12v volt meter to monitor traction voltage
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Ampabout, Long Distance  WAS: Ping!
        by ROBERT RICE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Speed Reducers in the Nose
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Speed Reducers in the Nose
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Another, fairer comparison
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) how to modify signal to my stock tachometer
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Phil,

Thanks for correcting me. I knew I wasn't getting it completely right. Regarding 11.715 kwh vs. kw, I drove 55 miles at 55 mph so I drove for an hour didn't I? I get what you're saying though. I worded it badly.

At any rate, let's make a fairer comparison like you said. I saw a commercial last night that says the Prius

So a Prius at 60 mpg, consumes .01666 gallons per mile. That's 130000000 X .01666= 2,166,666 Joules consumed per mile. 2,166,666 joules/mile= 2,166,666 watt-seconds/mile X 1 hr/3600 s=601.85 watt-hr per mile.

So:

1974 EV VW Beetle conversion: 213 wh/mile
2007 Toyota Prius:                   602 wh/mile

(Not including line losses, charger heat waste, etc) Much more competitive.

Did I get it right?

Rich A.

Don;

For some reason your hyperlinks got doubled up. I took the liberty of
correcting them for you.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

From: Richard Acuti [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:49:23 -0400
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Another, fairer comparison

Hi Phil,

Thanks for correcting me. I knew I wasn't getting it completely right.
Regarding 11.715 kwh vs. kw, I drove 55 miles at 55 mph so I drove for an
hour didn't I? I get what you're saying though. I worded it badly.

At any rate, let's make a fairer comparison like you said. I saw a
commercial last night that says the Prius

So a Prius at 60 mpg,  consumes .01666 gallons per mile. That's 130000000 X
.01666= 2,166,666 Joules consumed per mile. 2,166,666 joules/mile=
2,166,666
watt-seconds/mile X 1 hr/3600 s=601.85 watt-hr per mile.

So:

1974 EV VW Beetle conversion: 213 wh/mile
2007 Toyota Prius:                   602 wh/mile

(Not including line losses, charger heat waste, etc) Much more competitive.

Did I get it right?

Rich A.

http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migratio
n_HM_mini_2G_0507

Hello again,

I have a newer car that uses a ECM for most of the ICE stuff and I'd
like to get rid of the ECM (going for ~$400 on EBay).  I want to use
my stock tach (for looks and especially since its redline is very
close to the stock tach in there now [ice was a diesel tdi]).  The
signal from the ECM to the cluster computer is a square wave 0-5 V
(TTL I'm guessing) 1 pulse/rev.  Since I've not dealt with tachs in
the past and there isn't much info on the web, i'm not sure what to
do.  I

s there anything that off the shelf that can make such a signal OR
what combination of pickup + an analog circuit that could do the same?

Thanks.

--
Brian in TX
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960
http://www.evdub.blogspot.com/
It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm
really quite busy.

A couple of counterpoints:

I agree with Lee that purpose built, street speeds electric vehicles go without
the tranny, like up to about 160 km/hr (100 mph). Purpose built cars that want
to go faster (Tesla Roadster, Buckeye Bullet) use a transmission with multiple
gear ratios.

Even if you are not going for a land speed record, here are some counterpoint
reasons to keep a tranny:

* The successful transmissionless street conversions use 2 electric motors.
Using 1 electric motor and the tranny is cheaper.

* You can get faster acceleration (like 0 to 30 mph) with a transmission if you
have lower voltage or a cheaper controller.

* You don't have to use a Mercedes transmission. You might be able to use
something like a Chevy S10 transmission, but you'd have to fabricate new mounts
and maybe a new clutch linkage.

> it seems that I would have to buy a junk mercedes for the
> transmission

You don't actually need a transmission for an EV. If this Mercedes is
one with the engine+transmission in front, and differential in the rear,
you can replace *both* the engine and transmission with an electric motor.

All purpose-built EVs have no transmission. Electric motors don't need
them. We only have transmissions in EV conversions, because a) it was
already there (i.e. it was "free") and b) if there is a transmission,
you can use a little smaller electric motor and controller.

So, I'd look into leaving the transmission out, and using a size or two
larger motor and controller to compensate.

> In light of the fact that regen with the series wound DC (probably my
>  only option if the solectria is not doable) is not available, I was
> wondering if there would be any other option.

Regen is certainly available on DC systems; even DC systems with series
motors. It's just that regen with a series motor is harder (i.e. more
expensive). The cheapest EV drive system option is a DC series motor and
controller without regen. Most people want "cheap" above all else. So,
almost all the DC series motor options being marketed have no regen.  ...

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/