  1) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) "Team EV" wows PIR crowds at the Wayland Invitational
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Energy unit conversion and comparison - units
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: IOTA DC/DC POLARITY?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: The flow of current
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Audio interference in EV
        by "Roger Daisley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Wayland Invt'l, KillaCycle on the road
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: IOTA DC/DC POLARITY?
        by Jerry Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: The flow of current
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: The flow of current
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Just In from PIR, Wayland becomes a Criminal
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric Cobra is planning to start tour in Mid August (with Luck)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Audio interference in EV
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack (to Bill D. please)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Audio interference in EV
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Questions for those in the-know...
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- All good points Tim. It seems to me that the religious fervor for EVs sometimes masks the reality that we need to minimize electricity use, as well as retiring fossil-fuels. At least until there is a surfeit of clean electricity. I have some hope that recent solar-cell advances are better than the vaporware we've heard for years. At least there's new investor money going into all kinds of renewables. Most people seem to think that there will be an eclectic mix of dirty and cleaner fuels for a long time to come.
JF

Timothy Balcer wrote:
Let me just respond to a few things.. I'll stay away from <n-word> and
c<c-words>:)

First, distributed power systems and incentives for renewables and
solar would go a heck of a long way towards reducing demands on the
grid anywhere, including CA. ...

Secondly, there are a lot of reports that talk about peak and non peak
capacity, some weighing in one direction, some in the other. What I
think it comes down to simply is that there is spare capacity in much
of the country (if not all of it), and that can be used at night to
charge up EVs. As far as pollution goes, you would have less pollution
since it can be controlled more easily at plants than out of a million
tailpipes. ...
I don't think any of us disagree that EVs are a good idea.. why would
we be here then? ...

Hey all

First off, I just got in and I'm pretty much just
walking flesh about now but I wanted to get something
in before the fairy dust fades and I wake up to find
it's all been a dream and in fact I have 4 fried EV
motors to repair in the back of my truck, LMAO!
Anyway here's how this weekend played out from my
point of view...

Thursday night I pulled a 14 hour day ranging from
finishing Mike Willmons pair of Warp-Torque'd 9's
(whose freshly painted housing arrived that day) to
finishing up lift stuff that I promised to get out by
Friday.  I got to bed about midnight and woke at 4:30
to finish up general things to be done before I could
depart.

Last on my list was to stop and grab some gas and some
coffee 8^).  I was writting out the check and asked
the gal what the date was and she says Friday the
13th!  Now I'm not a really superstitious man but I
couldn't help thinking to myself "Ohh Great".  Telling
myself it was gonna be just fine, I was packed to the
gills and probably over my trucks capacity with motors
and was on the road by 10:30.

I figured I had plenty of time to make a motor run and
then get to Johns with time to spare 8^)  Ohhhh how
wrong I was!  Once in the Portland area I became
locked in a 300 square mile Wallmart parking lot!  I
had flashbacks from driving in LA traffic during the
Olympics!  At around 4:00 I arrived at Waylands after
a 5 hour 50 mile horror of grid lock!  In fact I
didn't even do my full run and found myself pretty
frustrated as I exited the freeway at Johns street.

I found some stress easing as I got closer to Johns as
I counted down the streets, 101, 106, 113... (John
lives on 114th) Slam on breaks, what looks like a
driveway is 114th, LMAO!  Take hard right to...OMG,
it's another Wallmart parking lots! LMAO!

Luckily I saw where someone had left so I shot past it
turned around and slid into a spot right across the
street from Johns, turn engine off, thank God I'm
there and off the streets, AHhhhh.  Wait... What the
Hell is that?  Still dazed from the driving AKA
Parking, I'm trying to focus my eyes on what appeared
to be a dark wall moving toward me...at a high rate of
speed!  After blinking a couple times (had to make
sure I wasn't seeing things) I see Wayland running
toward my truck (didn't know that man could still do
that, hehe) with a wall of camera and boom men running
after him, LMAO.

Honestly I had no idea what was going on, nor did I
think they were running out to greet the motor guy,
then again I didn't know how fevered Wayland was over
all the media attention, so I tried to prepare myself
for what was about to happen when the wall hit my
truck!

I brace, the wall hits, my truck window fills with
cameras and what look like dead hairy raccoon bodys...
Okay I wasn't expecting that, I just want to get out
of my truck, LMAO!  What came out of Johns mouth might
just have well been martian as I didn't understand a
word he said.  I sat there blinking at him like Cindy
Lue Who, as the Ginch was stealing her presents.
Johns lips move again, but my brain just could not
form the sentance.  Again I blink, trying to compute
what John is saying!

Now I want to see that footage as I'm pretty sure my
eyes roll back as my brain finally hears John
screaming for a 3rd time as to whether I can go pick
up Bills spare battery pack, back from the hell I just
came from 8^(  John asks, you got room in your truck?
Ohh thank God, I'm still loaded to the gills so I'm
off the hook, whew!  No I'm loaded I state 8^)

John sees a cubic foot of unused area and screams out
you got plenty of space (negating to factor I'm
carring 1400 lbs of cargo i a 1/2 ton truck! 8^o  My
worlds spinning, OMG no, please don't send me back
into the parkinglot!

My fate was sealed, squirming was futile, luckily they
found me a partner to guide me to where the Bill and
crew were.  Just kinda nice to have someone that knows
the area better than me as I'm very target based in
Portland and don't live there.

G'day mate I hear as Mark Fowler get's in and shuts
the door.  I say do ya know where we're going Mark?
No mate never been here before I'm from Australia, but
I got us a GPS, as he stares at me like Cindy Lue Who,
I'm just here for the ride LMAO!  Throwing my shades
over my eyes I head back to the parkinglot Aussie in
tow.

Actually John had gone over directions with us (all
caught on film) so I had a general area of where we
were headed.  I'm betting that I have this "I can't
believe this is happening" look on my face the entire
time!

Reaching the freeway, depite it being 4:00 traffic it
was at least moving much better.  Mark and I did have
a great time chatting during the 20 minute drive and I
was glad to have his company.

Fianally we arrive at camp Killacycle, Yeah!  We get
out and get the greets on 8^)  With no time for
chit-chat we get to stealing the A123 pack.  While
Mark distracted Bill and crew with his cool Aussie
accent I took the bolts out that were holding down 880
glisening A123 cells 8^)  I guess bill didn't want
that pack to go anywhere cause it took me twenty
minutes to unbolt it, LMAO!

Seriously though, much love to A123 batteries, Bill
Dube, and his wonderful crew for creating what was
going to turn out to be an awesome show 8^)  You guys
rock!

After a quick, probably disrespectful, thanks guys,
Cya type farewell, Mark and I took off for Waylands.
I was kinda irked so I called John... I told Mark, I'm
gonna tell him I'm lost 8^o  Damn no answer... call
again, still no pickup...  Third time gets me one of
Johns bridesmaids, Hello.  Hey this is Jim, where's
Wayland?  He's busy.  Tell him I'm lost, lmao, hehe.
I no sooner said it when I hear John in the background
"IS HE LOST!"

I could actually hear the black wall stampeding toward
the phone...3,2,1, Waylands screaming at me, Are you
some kind of retarded moron!  A freaking 3 legged
sloth could have done this better!  If I didn't need
those batteries I'd tell you just to go home!
I say hey John, just calling to say we got batts on
the truck and heading your way and didn't want you
hanging, jerk, 8^o (note to myself, John gets pissy
with 18 camera in his face) LMAO.

We arrive back at Johns at 5 sharp where John, Tim,
and Marko "start" to put the A123 batteries into the
White Zombie when in fact we should be leaving for the
track.  If nothing else this gave me some time to get
out of my truck before I had to jump back in to head
to PIR.

I'm gonna end this part here before it becomes a
novel.  I'm juiced up on some Kaladi Bros coffee that
Mike sent down to me from Alaska 8^) and the family is
out, so I'm hoping I got enough left in me to keep
writing part two right now 8^)  I might crash and burn
though also, LMAO!  I hope you all enjoyed, stay tuned
it's just getting good 8^o

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Jim, thanks for posting this link.

This article reports that Tesla roadster consumes 110Wh/km
(176 Wh/mile). This is very good, I wish they'd say at what
speed though.

Driving to PIR (Wayland Int'l events) for 2 days I've done
measurement on my ACRX and if correct, can report that it beats
Tesla roadster in this respect: 106.25 Wh/km (170 Wh/mile) at 55 mph!

That is with 40 PSI tires but wrong type (soft wall) ones.
Skinny and hard tires, while reducing ride comfort will likely
result in even better efficiency.

I would have to make accurate measurements in both directions
to confirm my figures though, didn't have a chance to do it yet.

I think, ACRX efficiency could end up better simply because open top
roadster has horrible Cd - about 0.7 believe it or not;
this is similar to a motorcycle in that respect. So at any high
enough speed it would not be too hard to surpass roadster's
efficiency. In contrast, slippery ACRX's Cd is 0.29.

What I've done is made certain the rear drum brakes don't
drag (they use to due to the parking brake cable bent too much) and
re-packed front wheels bearings making sure they are not over tight,
and I think mainly because I recently installed full body belly pan
as one sheet under entire car length. Here are couple of photos
of this:

http://www.metricmind.com/misc/bellypan1.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/bellypan2.jpg

My toe in is set to zero, which certainly helps too. No issues
with handling :-)

'91 ACRX - something different

Jim Bundscho wrote:
There is an excellent article about energy conversion
using joules as the basic unit for measure.  It is
well footnoted with resources and support documents.

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/twentyfirstcenturycar.pdf