  1) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) [semiot] Fun on three wheels in my future EV
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Questions for those in the-know...
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: necessity of other gauges (12V and vacuum)
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) NiMh poor self discharge rate
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Did I fix the endcap?
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by billb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Audio interference in EV
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Mark Fowler's take on the Wayland Invitational
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Vintage EV article: CHW Datsun 1200 from Athol, MA (1973)
        by David Gonzales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Did I fix the endcap?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Electric Cobra is planning to start tour in Mid August (with Luck)
        by "Michael T Kadie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: NiMh poor self discharge rate
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Mark Fowler's take on the Wayland Invitational
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Poor Man's DC Regen possibility
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: necessity of other gauges (12V and vacuum)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) LPI paddle charger parts
        by "Steve Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: NiMh poor self discharge rate
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: NiMh poor self discharge rate
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Bilstein's for the Banana?
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Two E-Vans on E-Bay
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: NiMh poor self discharge rate
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: LPI paddle charger parts
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: The final comparison
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Vintage EV article: CHW Datsun 1200 from Athol, MA (1973)
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>> The 300 volt solar inverters are not self commutating -- they require
>> an AC input signal before they will turn on.

TrotFox Greyfoot wrote:
Could one use a cheap 100W inverter like plugs into a 12V cigarette
lighter to provide commutation?

It might work with old ones that were less picky. But the newer ones have to meet rather extreme standards, written by the utilities (I suspect, to make it as difficult as possible). They require a virtually perfect frequency, waveform, and tight voltage limits before they will "believe" that it's the real AC power line and not some generator or inverter.

Yes -- pretty tight standards.  An Outback inverter produces clean
enough power to energize the grid-tie inverters, but from what I
understand, even the Xantrex sinewave ones are not.  Any modified
sinewave inverter would certainly not be.  The Exeltech are clean
enough, but cannot accept anything else putting AC power into their
output, so you can't use them to energize the grid-tie inverters.

TrotFox Greyfoot wrote:
> Could one use a cheap 100W inverter like plugs into a 12V cigarette
> lighter to provide commutation?

It might work with old ones that were less picky. But the newer ones
have to meet rather extreme standards, written by the utilities (I
suspect, to make it as difficult as possible). They require a virtually
perfect frequency, waveform, and tight voltage limits before they will
"believe" that it's the real AC power line and not some generator or
inverter.

I passed state inspection on my future EV so I paid tax and insurance
and can legally drive it as a ICE car for now. I showed it off (together
with pictures, EV data and a promise that next year they would have for me
a parking spot with a 220v outlet) in 'Franch car day' event at a auto mall
parking lot...

They had prepared a show of a Citroen running around in 3 wheels, but the
car that was going to do the feat failed. Me to the rescue...

I ended up doing three wheel slaloms... pictures in my blog:
        http://ev.nn.cl/?p=44

--
Eduardo K.            | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl  | Murphy, la oportunidad.
                      |         Yo.

Hey Josh,

You don't say what your motor is rated at, power wise.
 Anyway, DC to AC three phase inverters are hard to
find, and expensive when you do.  Trying to run a 480
VAC motor means about 650 volts dc.  Might be
unrealistic for battery pack.  You might consider
doing a DC EV conversion first and save the AC stuff
for later.  Good luck,

Jeff

--- Joshua Cummins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello, the name is Josh and I am service tech for a
> prominent electric motor
> company in the midwest. I have decicded to pool my
> resources and build my
> own electric car. Can anyone point me in the
> direction of three-phase
> inverters, transformers, batteries, photo-cells,
> control modules and the
> like that are being used. Here is the intended
> setup.
>
> 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback
> 480 volt, three phase motor (0-120hz)
> No A/C, NO heater
> will use 2 of 5 gears from honda transmission
> clutch assy. will be replaced with a static coupling
> would also like to incorporate optoelectric cells
> for recharge
> transducer controlled "throttle"
>
> But on a bigger picture, lets collaborate friends,
> lets start the revolution
> thats 40 years late!

> Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play
> Chicktionary!

http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

I think it depends on how much you want to know about your EV and be able to
instant get data on all systems and circuits.

I like multiple indicators, so I can see the status of many units at the
same time, instead of clicking each status up.

For example:  I have a motor amp and volt meter.  I think the motor amp
meter is the most important gage there is, so you do not drive at a ampere
too long over the continuous rating.

Next is the motor rpm, so you know when to shift gears.

Then there is the battery amp and volt meter, which tells you how low you
can go with the battery voltage.  The amp meter so you stay at or below the
amp rating of the battery or you may melt the battery post.

I use three 12 volt and amp meters on my 12 volt accessory
inverter-alternator which provides all the 14.5 volt system and also is
inverted to 7 kw at 120 VAC 60 HZ.  There is a 12 volt and amp meter between
the alternator and battery, another set between the battery and inverter if
the alternator is off line and another set between the alternator and
vehicle loads.

On the inverter side, there is 120 volt and amp meter between the inverter
and load side.

The DC-DC converter which is four IOTA's connected up in series parallel for
29 volts at 84 amps also has a volt and amp meter on the output, that drives
accessory motors.

There is a vacuum gage that reads the vacuum at the vacuum pump that is
before the vacuum canister.  There is another vacuum gage at the end of the
vacuum lines for the vacuum values that work the heating and A/C system.
This indicates the status of the check values and vacuum motors.

I have a hot water heater for the defrosters, that is monitor with a water
temperature gage.  Another water temperature gage for the water cooling unit
for the Zilla controller.

There is also a temperature gage for monitoring the Zilla heat sink. And
another temperature gage for the ambient air conditions inside the enclosure
that the Zilla is in.

The main motor also has two thermo switch indicators that are inside the
motor and another switch on the fan exhaust air output.

While the EV is plug in, there is volt and amp meter which is indicating the
commercial 60 HZ indications and also a volt and amp meter for the charger
outputs.

And then there is the E-meter which can monitor 15 modes of indications of
the battery pack, from AH, Wthr, battery ampere, battery volts, temperature,
time remaining, etc, and can down load the status that is stored.

Then there is the time clocks,  One measures the time that the EV runs
between point A to B,  another one to measure the amount of motor on time
and another that measures the motor off time while the EV is moving.

Those are just the gages.  There are over 50 switch indicators which
monitors all the circuits in the EV.  There are back up switches just in
case a switch or circuit goes out.  Can fix the circuits on the fly without
stopping.

Then there is a whole roll of switches that I can with one sweep which I can
turn any one off to kill all the power in the EV.

Like I say, it depends what you want to know about your EV system.

From: Roy LeMeur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2007 11:04 am
Subject: Mark Fowler's take on the Wayland Invitational
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Mike Chancey wrote:

> Belt drive regen has been done.  The now defunct Solar Car Corp
> offered it as an option years ago.  See:
>
> http://www.evalbum.com/tech/regen.jpg
>
> I wish these were still available.  Anyone know a rewinding shop that
> could rewind an alternator like this?

Nope; and don't forget that a common automotive alternator needs
modifying to isolate the ground from the case.  But, check out the
"Power Mite" alternators from Fabco:

<http://www.fabcopower.com/generat/bgen.htm>

110VAC 3500W and 4500W or 220VAC 3500W

I've also seen brushless alternators that put out 120/240/480VAC
(unregulated) on some micro hydro turbines, but haven't been able to
determine the manufacturer of the alternator itself to see what it would
cost on its own (as a complete turbine unit they are pricey).

Other promising "off-the-shelf" alternator possibilities:

<http://www.amplepower.com/products/alt/index.html>

(Alternators with/available with isolated grounds and built with 200V
diodes (so good candidates for running at higher output voltages without
internal mods). 12, 24, and 32V models, all expecting an external
regulator.)

<http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/alt_inf.shtml>

(High current alternators up to 24V stock output, with isolated grounds,
etc.)

Some permanent magnet possibilities (bearing in mind that with a PM
solution it might be necessary to add the complication of an electric
clutch, etc. to avoid spinning the generator all the time):

<http://polarpowerinc.com/products/generators/index.htm>

(Two fairly large models offered, but max output (stock) seems to be
48-64VDC and no prices listed.  Reasonable efficiency.)

<http://www.windstreampower.com/443905_PMDCG.php>

(20A and 30A models available for reasonable prices (<$500).  Output
voltage up to 120VDC, 3.6kW @ 120VDC for the 30A model.)

<http://www.electrodyne.com/models.html>

(Brushless alternators, internal regulator but available stock up to 64V
output (@100A).  Not sure if the ground is isolated or not.)

It's interesting you mention that.
My first DCDC put out 350W, and my commutes were
rather short.  The result was that often the aux. batt
never got a full charge, and died a premature death.
Thus, 12V instrumentation would've helped.
The new DCDC puts out 600W, so the aux. battery
_always_ gets a full charge, and instrumentation for
the 12V line is now irrelevant.
I've contemplated having the engine gauge go on when
the vacuum pump pulls, (once every 4 actuations,
roughly), but have decided to keep it simple.
Hope that helps,

--- Brian Pikkula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking of installing a 12V gauge to monitor
> my aux battery
> (and DC/DC converter by proxy) and a vacuum gauge to
> make sure all is
> well with my brakes.
>
> Before i buy them, I was wondering if others have
> such gauges or are
> they unnecessary?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Brian in TX
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960
> http://www.evdub.blogspot.com/
> It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a
> cellular level I'm
> really quite busy.

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  For $20 DVD you can purchase footage of my
'92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at: www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

that gives answers, not web links.

Paul wrote:
I like the math but hasn't the real world pretty much proven that 12 Optima group 34 deep cycle batteries (50 ah rated) can handle 10 miles quite easily? The pack would have a drop dead range of around 15 miles, less if driven at high speeds.

Yes; and that's what I said. If you drive fast enough to fully discharge them in 12 minutes, you only get around 1/3rd of their 20-hour rate, and will only have a range of 10-15 miles. Slow down, or have enough batteries so they last 30-60 minutes, and you'll double their capacity, and so double your range.

Mark Hanson wrote:
I tried an EV-1 NiMh in my boat as a starting battery and a smaller one
about the size of a tractor battery as an auxiliary batter in my EV. Both die within a week of being fully charged. The fast self discharge rate is
horrible.  I switched back to lead batteries in both cases.  I havn't had
that problem with Ni-Cads even thoughg they are a nickel chemistry. Is that
an inherent problem with MiMH batteries?

Nimh cells do have a high self-discharge rate; though one week is unusually fast. Check each cell voltage. I found that 1 or 2 cells were bad in most of the EV1 modules I have.

--- Begin Message --- I doubt the grid-tie inverters would go for a simulated grid by a small 12V-110V inverter. My solar inverter from SMA measures grid impedance and stuff and has very small tolerances on frequency and over/under-voltage as well.

However, I saw in the manual that the software has settings for island mode and can be set to maintain a fixed voltage etc. For the SMA inverter (4kw about EUR 2000) I have a gut feeling that the difference between the island and the grid-tie inverters is only in the software and I also know that dealers can get a computer interface with software for monitoring and changing parameters.

the SMA inverters when in island mode also "listen" to the frequency of the AC power, when the frequency slows down (like when a generator is loaded higher) they try to provide more power and when the frequency speeds up they reduce power production. At least thats what I read. This way they can vary the solar panel output a bit when in island mode.

Now SMA has a new set of battery inverters as of this year, but they are 24 and 48V, they are intended to keep an island grid going and manage the power flow among solar / wind and other power sources (i.e. when there is not enough power generated by the other inverters the battery inverter adds power from the batteries, when there is too much power generated by solar etc. the battery inverter charges the battery and when full switches on an additional load to keep the island grid stable. I looked into it but the system runs around $5000 for a basic setup.

I for my part went another route, I got myself an old used UPS ($150) that ran as a backup for the controls of a water power plant. It is made for 96V of batteries which fits nicely with my EV and provides 2.5kw of backup power. It also has a bypass switch so when not needed it there won't be conversion inefficiencies. Its not portable (6 foot rack) but it has a nice 3 phase 40Amp battery charger built in, voltage and amp meters and will be able to power one phase of my house from batteries. I yet have to hook it up in my garage and need to move all crucial appliances and some lights to that phase. I can't wait until we have a major power outage ...

Markus
TrotFox Greyfoot wrote:
lighter to provide commutation?

Just a thought...

Trot, the gray, fox...

On 7/16/07, Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The 300 volt solar inverters are not self commutating -- they require
an AC input signal before they will turn on.  Plus, their software
assumes a finite source and infinite load, rather than a finite load
and (effectively) infinite source like a standalone inverter.  Maybe
you could hack the software, but it probably wouldn't be easy.

> Mark Hanson wrote:
> >> I tried an EV-1 NiMh in my boat as a starting battery and
> >> a smaller one about the size of a tractor battery as an
> >> auxiliary batter in my EV.
> >> Both die within a week of being fully charged.  The fast

How do you know they are fully charged?  The middle cells in a module
can get considerably hotter than those near the ends and while hot, they
will not charge not matter how many Ah you put into them.

> >> self discharge rate is horrible.  I switched back to lead
> >> batteries in both cases.  I havn't had that problem with
> >> Ni-Cads even thoughg they are a nickel chemistry.
> >> Is that an inherent problem with MiMH batteries?
>
> Nimh cells do have a high self-discharge rate; though one week is
> unusually fast. Check each cell voltage. I found that 1 or 2
> cells were bad in most of the EV1 modules I have.

It must also be said that the older Ovonics cells are relatively poor
amongst NiMH.  The Panasonics were considered the best, with the Saft
NiMH a close second.

The present production Cobasys 9500 cells are using a different material
(AB5 vs AB2) and hold the promise of nearing the Panasonic level of
performance.

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any experience with putting Bilstein struts/shocks
in an EV conversion, such as a Rabbit with about a 1000-lb
battery pack, or similar?  Last Dec. I was talking with a
mechanic who seemed fairly knowledgeable and who was willing to
work on my conversion (there are some things I just can't do in
an apartment setting, and I always feel it is good to have
another set of eyes checking things out), and he gave me part
prices for KYB, Boge Progas, and Bilstein.  I believe that KYBs
were the original shocks as provided in the VoltsRabbit kit in
1994.  I had the front ones replaced with Boge Progas in the late
'90s, and they provided much better control in the bounce
department and a somewhat smoother ride.  I still have the
original KYBs in the rear.  The pass. side one developed a
flutter noise rather early on going over washboardy road
surfaces, and on advice from Mike Brown, in 2005 I finally got
around to swapping the rear struts to see if the noise moved -
good idea!  Well, the flutter went away from the right side, only
to be replaced by awful creaking noises from the left (sounds
like something is rubbing inside the strut body), and I'm still
living with this.  At any rate, all four corners need to be
replaced, since the front is getting back to "old Cadillac" mode
in the bounce control dept, and the right-rear is leaking fluid
(enough so the oil is stain the floor).  Struts don't seem to
last too long in this conversion.

I believe it was the Bilstein back in the '70s that I saw had a
"dual ride" control.  Good smooth ride on regular streets,
getting rid of the harshness of the street surface and minor
bumps and potholes.  Good damping for more violent surfaces, such
as going at right angles across steeply crowned roads (yep, did
that once with the KYBs and came down hard on the other side).

My ride is better with the larger tires I have now, up to
P185-70R13 - more meat between me and the road.  But the
rain-eroded road surfaces around here, especially the one on my
hill to my apartment that's all rough and full of holes, and that
never gets resurfaced to any great degree, is a noisy ride.  I'm
sure 44F/34R psi in the tires does make the ride harsher, but
going to 34F/29R makes the tires feel like marshmellows (nice and
soft) and significantly increases the rolling resistance (parking
lot test and regular driving).

Looking at the A-arms in these fwd cars...  I imagine most of the
energy from the road goes up through the spring and strut, but
isn't some also going to go through the pivot point where the
A-arm attaches to the body?  Is there a bushing here that needs
replacement that would cut down on some of the vibration coming
up through the body?

The harshness of this car's ride was especially noticeable after
renting a Camry.  Yeah, I know, different-level cars, but still,
my 4WD truck (Toyota 4Runner) rides smoother than the Rabbit, and
soaks up those potholes with much more aplomb.

Bilstein's - are they worth the significant higher price in an
app such as this?  I've got to make the decision soon.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Hursch
Larkspur, CA
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/339.html
http://www.geocities.com/chursch/bizcard.bmp
EVCN Larkspur 94939_1 Adopt-a-Charger sponsor (evchargernews.com)

 1989  GMC : 3500 Vandura

        Item number: 320138527359

These just appeared on E-Bay

How did you get EV1 NiMh modules in the first place?

On 7/16/07, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lee Hart wrote:

> Mark Hanson wrote:
> >> I tried an EV-1 NiMh in my boat as a starting battery and
> >> a smaller one about the size of a tractor battery as an
> >> auxiliary batter in my EV.
> >> Both die within a week of being fully charged.  The fast

How do you know they are fully charged?  The middle cells in a module
can get considerably hotter than those near the ends and while hot, they
will not charge not matter how many Ah you put into them.

> >> self discharge rate is horrible.  I switched back to lead
> >> batteries in both cases.  I havn't had that problem with
> >> Ni-Cads even thoughg they are a nickel chemistry.
> >> Is that an inherent problem with MiMH batteries?
>
> Nimh cells do have a high self-discharge rate; though one week is
> unusually fast. Check each cell voltage. I found that 1 or 2
> cells were bad in most of the EV1 modules I have.

It must also be said that the older Ovonics cells are relatively poor
amongst NiMH.  The Panasonics were considered the best, with the Saft
NiMH a close second.

The present production Cobasys 9500 cells are using a different material
(AB5 vs AB2) and hold the promise of nearing the Panasonic level of
performance.

Many of us can't read what you're saying because you are using "rich"
formatting for your text. Go to Gmail where you can select to use
"plain" formatting for your text.

On 7/16/07, Steve Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Richard Acuti wrote:

> EV's themselves (not counting the power plant) are 100% clean
> from the cradle to the grave. There will never be an oil leak,
> a fuel leak, or an antifreeze drip from them.

Unfortunately, this isn't true for most EVs.  They are definitely better
in this regard than ICE vehicles, but they do not achieve the "never
leak" ideal.

Most conversions still have a tranny, and these do have oil which can,
and eventually will, leak (the one in my EV does :(.  Even a tranny-less
EV will usually have a differential, which also requires oil and can and
will leak eventually.

OEM EVs tend to have liquid-cooled motors and electronics, so anitfreeze
is still present and will, in all likelihood, eventually leak.  AC
conversions may have liquid-cooled motors and electronics, and even our
DC conversions with air-cooled motors may have liquid-cooled 'Zillas in
them.  While many EVs use ceramic heaters, there are some using
electrically-heated water/coolant circulating through a stock heater
core (more possibility of antifreeze leaks), and there have been some
EVs built with gasoline-burning heaters, so oddly enough there are some
out there whose EVs may in fact develop a fuel leak! ;^>

Wow! $4000 for an electric car! But 1973. :-(  Anybody have an update
on Waterman?

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059