  1) Re: Simple Controller
        by "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Fast Charging
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Number of E-mails
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Zivan (NG2?)
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: LionEV battery packs and vehicles
        by "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Simple Controller
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: LionEV battery packs and vehicles
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Simple Controller
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EV's need sleep mode
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LionEV battery packs and vehicles
        by "John A. Evans - N0HJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Number of E-mails
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: LED headlights- new development!
        by Michael Mohlere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Simple Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Simple Controller
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Simple Controller
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) AGNS back to the track, FINALLY!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: Simple Controller
 20) Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Simple Controller
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 4002 vs. ADC 8"
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: LionEV battery packs and vehicles
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Simple Controller
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- SCR - Silicon Controlled Rectifier - use wikipedia and see if you can find more details, if interested.

john

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
what's an SCR?

At 08:38 AM 7/19/2007, Lee Hart wrote:
I think I mentioned this before to John, but for the benefit of the rest of the list...

You can replace the special resistor on the Rudman regulators with a standard 10w or 20w ceramic tube resistor. This type consists of a hollow ceramic tube, with the resistance wire wound on it, a terminal on each end, and a ceramic glase over it for insulation.

Note that this is only for the OLD style regulators. Not the current version. (I have MKIIC regs)

Route a copper tube through the center of each one. Pump water (or oil or something) through them all. This carries away the heat neatly, with no need for fans or heatsinks.

Frankly, I find that mounting a little CPU fan, and plugging it into the connector on the reg is a LOT easier than routing a cooling line all over the place, adding pump, radiator, etc...

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

I've been getting less e-mails; is this a problem with the server or
are there just less e-mails?

Thank you Lee for all your different charge control methods. :)

On 7/19/07, storm connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lee,
That is the most succinct description of charge control I've seen! An
amplification of one of your points, having a timer on the charger can
be a butt saver. If all else fails or the monitor gets distracted, at
least the cooking time is limited.

--
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- No response yet from Amp Mobile Conversions, but I did get a response back from both LionEV and EV America. LionEV said that the cost of a typical pack that would yield 100 mile range would be about $20,000. According to the person who responded to me, they get a real good tax cut if the batteries go into newly made vehicles, which is why they are selling vehicles now. As for conversions, the tax credits aren't there, hence the high prices, which should come down in a few years.

EV America gave a rough price of $10-15K for a pack, but didn't specify model, etc.

At any rate, it basically is still out of the neighborhood for me - Colorado has a nice tax credit which should cover the expense of conversion for me, but I would need to spread it out over 4-5 years. $15,000 means the carryover would be beyond the 5 year limit for me for the total conversion, so I need to look at the standard lead-acid solutions for now.
Timothy Balcer wrote:
It's been two days.. gimme gimme! :-)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Oh no shortage of reasons. For one, an SCR is a latch, once it turns on it won't turn off until the current drops to zero which works fine for AC sources but not DC. IGBT/MOSFETs are the switches you'd use.

At these power levels, any flaw in the switching waveform- shape or voltage- can fry the $$$ transistors immediately. Now assuming a perfect gate driver were available, there's part selection, major thermal issues, and an issue of how you get hundreds of amps from a thick cable, across a thin foil PCB, and back out through another cable without anything in between melting.

There is no "shortcut" for a cheap controller for a high power problem, even if you want to discard all the bells and whistles it will not make the basic task much easier or cheaper.

Danny

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

what's an SCR?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I know controllers have been beat to death here. From Zillas to homemade
controllers. But can someone please sum it all up for me. Why can't I use a PWM signal, amplified through a motor driver to switch a high power SCR?
Is this how the old SCR controllers work so can I just use an scr big
enough for the voltage and current I want to handle? Just looking for the
simplest solid state possible.
Im sure everyone is sick of controller talk for a while but I must have
missed this explanation.
Thanks,
Paul

Was that including BMS and charger?

Timothy Balcer wrote:
> It's been two days.. gimme gimme! :-)

Yeah, I thought IGBT's might be the one thats I needed. But how do
forklift scr's work? All I want to do is turn voltage on and off really
fast. I guess there really is just no way to do it without hight tech
electronics. could not the igbt just be in line with the motor and
batteries switched on and off by a gate current? Im well aware of the
problems involved with real controllers, it just seems like a solid state
on/off switch could be rigged up without any bells or whistles.

Also, for anyone who was wondering (Dan) an IGBT is well... an umm... you
can look it up.

Thanks,
Paul

> But how do forklift scr's work?

To use an SCR in a DC circuit you need to provide additional commutation
circuitry to force the current to 0 when you want the SCR to turn back
off.  The basic circuit for doing this is known as the "Jones Chopper";
it is described in Bob Brandt's book "Build Your Own EV", and it is
covered briefly here:

<http://power.eng.mcmaster.ca/szabados/courses/4pk4/notes/parinv.pdf>

In the GE EV1 forklift control one large SCR acts as the switch between
the battery and motor, while a couple of smaller ones connect the
commutating capacitor as required to charge it up and then reconnect it
so that it discharges through the main SCR at the right time, and in the
opposite direction as the motor current, so that the SCR turns off.

As I recall, you are looking at doing a budget 48V vehicle, so you might
look around to see if you can't scrounge a used controller from a 48V
lift truck to use.  Building one on your own would be costly since
fist-sized SCRs aren't all that cheap or common and neither are the
commutating capacitors (you can't just use electrolytics for this).

If you haven't yet done so, have a look at the Project ForkenSwift site
<http://www.forkenswift.com/>.  It seems to me that your project is
quite similar.

John Foster wrote:
I agree in the long run it's best to eliminate parasitic loads. But it might take awhile for new low parasitic products to show up in automotive quantity and price points, in the meantime the Freedom, Sunrise, Tesla et all, will need to use regular hi parasitic parts, or spend a lot of time sourcing & adapting special parts.

I don't know what Tesla etc. are doing, but I know that in the Sunrise, I am taking the opportunity to design it to get rid of these pointless parasitic loads.

Here are some examples that can be applied to anyone's EV project:

 - Use LEDs, not light bulbs.
 - Use real switches to turn things on, not computers that must be
   powered all the time to sense the switches.
 - Use clocks, radios, speedometers, etc. that are designed for
   battery operation (e.g. a car clock draws milliamps; a battery
   operated LCD clock draws microamps).
 - If you need a microcomputer, use one intended for low power use.
   (for example, the micros in solar calculators).
 - Run low clock speeds (KHz, not MHz).
 - Don't leave things running when they serve no purpose.

Any balancer or BMS you have is a parasitic draw too.

Yes; but properly designed, it should be negligible. It should also not have failure modes that load down a battery and murders it.

In any case parasitic loads aren't the problems I've seen. The main problem is the key left on; dome lights, parking lights, instruments etc: all the typical things which give a dead battery in an ICE car, plus contactors, leaking vacum pumps, LED graphs etc.

Of course, one solution is to eliminate the key! Use an RF key fob. Get in the car, it's on. Get out of the car, it's automatically off. Or have a weight switch in the seat that shuts it off if you get out. Or arrange it so when you plug it in to recharge, it turns off.

I agree with the "secret mode" thing, I got annoyed in a Think!, just trying to turn it on!

It is easy to design bad user interfaces; so we get lots of them. It is harder to design good ones!

--- Begin Message --- Nothing was mentioned of BMS or charger, so I suspect not, though there may be some power management/protection circuitry built into the packs. As soon as I saw the price, I stopped asking more questions. It will certainly be worth watching these progress over the next few years though.

john

From: Joseph Lado
> I have had it. I have been stranded by my auxilary battery. I don't
> have a DC to DC converter... If I have to drive at night in rain I can
> only go about 10 miles before the battery craps out. I need a DC to DC
> converter. I tried to use the IOTA 35. That didn't work. My pack is
> 108 volt pack and somehow that isn't enough for the IOTA35.

The Iota is really a 120vac input supply. It rectifies this to produce 160
volts DC. Your 108 volt pack is much less than this -- too low for the Iota to
work acceptably.

> Just tell me what I should buy that works with my 18 Trojan 6 volt
> batteries? What is the best choice?

"Best" is a judgement call. But if it were me, I'd look for a pair of 48v
input, 13.5v output DC/DC converters. These are very common, as 48vdc is widely
used in industry and telephone systems. Use two of them, each powered by half
your pack (108v/2 = 54v; these converters actually work from 36-72vdc). Two
converters also provides redundancy; if one fails, the other still provides 12v
power.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James