  1) Re: Simple Controller
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) VW Super EV Project for Sale
        by "Shawn M. Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Jetta Adapter Plate and Gast Pump on eBay
        by "Shawn M. Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by David Wilker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) best way to transport a newly purchased EV
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Simple Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: best way to transport a newly purchased EV
        by BrownGassyTurd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) "Fair Radio Charger" Wiring Diagram
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Simple Controller
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Simple Controller
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Simple Controller
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Simple Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Simple Controller
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Simple Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Simple Controller
 17) Re: Simple Controller
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Simple Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Simple Controller
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: best way to transport a newly purchased EV
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) 6v or 12v
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Is THIS the PHEV announcement ?
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Simple Controller
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Simple Controller
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Virtual Instrumentation Solution
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Simple Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) "Tree House" Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29)
        by "Thomas Brannan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re:
        by "Thomas Brannan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks everyone,
This you have put my mind to rest. I had to clear up my notion of a
barebones simplistic controller once and for all. I don't like to waste my
time since I can spend it either working to buy a Curtis or doing one of
my many other interests. Madman, I don't mean to be touchy or thin skinned
but I hope you don't include me in that bunch of "do nothing talkers". I
am half way done with my conversion and have many other hobbies that I DO.
watercooled my computer, homemade foundry, restored and painted classic
cars etc. I try to keep my questons to the point and usually only ask when
the list is the only place to get a specific answer. Thanks again for
everyones input.
Paul

Hi Everyone,

Well I'm selling a VW Beetle project that I don't have time for right and it's looking like I won't have time for anytime soon. So, I'm selling it!

I have the car and parts up on eBay (item 230154106495) with LOTS of pictures.

Here are the basics:
1973 VW Super Beetle
8" Advanced DC 4001 Motor
New Adapter Plate, Pressure Plate, Clutch, Gland Nut
Motor Mount Bracket
Curtis 1231C 120VDC 550A Controller
PB6 Throttle
120VDC Charger 15A
New Tires and Front Disc Brakes
New Shifter
Dash Cover

I am also including a brand new tow bar that I bought for it and the domain name for the project site I created (www.evbug.net)

Please let me know off-list if anyone has any questions.

Thanks,

Shawn Waggoner
Florida EAA

Clearing some EV parts from the shop if anyone is interested:

VW Jetta Adapter plate from a 1996 Jetta for a 8" Motor:
eBay item 230154101994

Gast Model MOA-V111-JH 12VDC Vacuum Pump, Switch and Gauge
eBay item 230154103734

Thanks!

Shawn Waggoner
Florida EAA

Have you considered running the original alternator off the shaft?

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

From: Joseph Lado
> I have had it. I have been stranded by my auxilary battery. I don't
> have a DC to DC converter... If I have to drive at night in rain I can
> only go about 10 miles before the battery craps out. I need a DC to DC
> converter. I tried to use the IOTA 35. That didn't work. My pack is
> 108 volt pack and somehow that isn't enough for the IOTA35.

The Iota is really a 120vac input supply. It rectifies this to produce 160
volts DC. Your 108 volt pack is much less than this -- too low for the Iota to
work acceptably.

> Just tell me what I should buy that works with my 18 Trojan 6 volt
> batteries? What is the best choice?

"Best" is a judgement call. But if it were me, I'd look for a pair of 48v
input, 13.5v output DC/DC converters. These are very common, as 48vdc is widely
used in industry and telephone systems. Use two of them, each powered by half
your pack (108v/2 = 54v; these converters actually work from 36-72vdc). Two
converters also provides redundancy; if one fails, the other still provides 12v
power.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If anyone can provide a referral to a good, reliable shipper for transporting my newly purchase EV from Roeland Park, KS to Huntsville, AL, I'm all ears...have a similar post on the MAEEA (sp?) list.

Thx, Mike

http://newlivehotmail.com

Rich, how many horses is 300V and 300A?

Rich Rudman wrote:
Oh.. not much as it seams here...
Please keep us informed as the amount of your cash that turns into spendy
Smoke...
This aughta be good...
I'll bring Hershies and Grammcrakers to the IGBT roasting party.

300 amps and 300 volts... Not even Curtis amps.... Hoo ho ho... Good one
there...
I can run  that fast....and I am a fat old man....This might be good for a
750 lbs NEV....
You need more amps.

Madman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Frederiksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 19, 2007 9:43:12 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

the trick is to connect it right and watch for high
current. but with
the right knowledge it should be a simple circuit
and the parts relatively cheap.
Yep, it must be pretty simple and cheap, that's why we
see a flood of EV controls coming from China (since
it's so easy they should be cranking them out by
now!).
Two problems, it's not cheap and easy and there is not
a big enough market to create these controls.  If
there's money to be made I'm sure the Chinese would be
cranking these out in high volume.  That's the
problem, there is not a big market for these controls
to bring down the price in volume.  When you produce
controls in lower volume you have to spread out the
engineering and manufacturing cost to cover your
expenses.  Knowing what it takes to produce a control,
I realize that people like Rich Rudman and Otmar
aren't making big bucks, just producing a product in
low volume to serve the EV market.  When you actually
design and manufacture a control like this you'll know
what I mean concerning low volume cost.  A good
comparison would be the PC.  You can buy a nice high
performance desktop for $300 to $400 bucks new.
Imagine what it would cost if you were producing 1000
PC's, contracting out all of the individual circuit
boards and also hand building many of the parts
manually (not automated assembly, which you CANT do
with a Zilla control).
I guess I'm just rambling, but I know the time
involved in producing low volume controls (I have put
together many low volume prototypes of my 2HP BLDC
control for the transportation market which is just
starting to order higher volumes of controls, the
first 100 were very expensive and the next 1000 will
still be very costly do to the low volume
manufacturing).  Once they get up to the 10k to 20k
volume they will be quite a bit cheaper, but will
still cost quite a bit because they are not being
produced in the 1 million quantity (probably 1/3 the
cost!!).
So, my advice is to put in the sweat equity and see
what it actually costs to produce something at the
cost you envision.
Good luck!
Rod
--- Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

what system voltage?
I'm guessing low. starts quick enough but gets weak at higher speed

Rich Rudman wrote:

300 amps and 300 volts... Not even Curtis amps.... Hoo ho ho... Good one
there...

Hello Jeff,

What is the overall gear ratio's you have to pull that much motor amperes?
I am running about a 20:1 in 1st gear and about 14:1 and 2nd gear.

I can run from 0 to 25 mph which is about 6000 rpm in 1st gear in about 10
seconds with a peak motor ampere of 300 amps.  When I shift to 2nd gear at
25 mph it will peak to about 500 amps briefly and it will come back to 200
amps when I reach 30 mph in the next 5 seconds.

My battery ampere ranges from 100 amps at acceleration and comes back to 40
amps at cruse.

This is about a normal acceleration for me.  I am a afraid to push it to the
floor like a Mad Man, because the motor coupler may shatter like it did when
I foot slip off the brake peddle onto the accelerator and it hop like a
grasshopper.

>   When I accelerate gently from a stoplight, my 4000lb EV (including
> this fat old man driving it) I can do it with 200 battery amps if people
> aren't behind me
>
> This is because at launch I may be only at 10% duty createing an average
> voltage of around 60 at the motor. In these first few mph only 50 amps
> is drawn, but the duty cycle quickly climbs and so does the voltage at
> the motor. It climbs rapidly to 200A. From there, I can choose to paltry
> accelerate or keep pushing to 400ish battery amps.
>
>  The 300V 200A becomes 60V 1000A at the motor. If you were limited to
> 300A in the motor loop, It would end up takeing 1-2 min to get to 45-50
> on level grade.
>
> I think 1000amps on a single 9 is just adequete.
>
> Loose weight or increase amps.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hmmm....I have the Sevcon 128/12 model yet when I went to their website, all I could find were much lower input voltage models (72v). Did they quit making the 128v models? That would be very uncool. I love mine. I was going to recommend it until I couldn't find it.

So: If mine died, what is available in that input/output voltage and power range? Just give me some brand names and I'll look them up.

Rich A.

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:06:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Tell Me Which DC to DC Converter I Should Use

From: Joseph Lado
[...]

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07

Or... you can build a pusher trailer and bring it with :-)

--T

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'll be moving my Optima batteries to my sailboat, so I'm going to get some new batteries for the Fiero. I'm leaning towards getting the Trojan 24TM 12v batteries, and go with 10-20 of them. It seems to me the higher voltage is going to reduce current draw and be better for range via pukert. How many volts can an ADC 8" motor be OK with? Is 240v too much?
Jack

Is THIS the PHEV announcement Every One has been Waiting For ?

Dateline TOYOTA Japan 20 - July
Off the Google - Alert - Electric Car News Feed...

(  http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200707200126.html )
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Your motor is series?

I think this may be because at about 7mph the voltage in the armature of this sepex motor is already about 90volts 90V x 200A is a > 15KW.
By about 15mph the voltage is about 140-180V depending on SOC.
The voltage in a series motor at 7-15mph is going to be about 10-20V ? so it needs higher amps.

I guess acceleration is relative but 0-60 in the van seems OK to me probably about 30 seconds, its fairly aerodynamic, petrol version does about 45mpg.

Rich Rudman wrote:

300 amps and 300 volts... Not even Curtis amps.... Hoo ho ho... Good one
there...

Hello Evan,

> Strange, mine weighs 1.45 tonnes.
sorry should have said 1.5 tonnes + .5 tonne payload

>And the IGBT is a 400A part.
Are you sure?
The IGBT in my van is Toshiba MG300J2YS50 , when I read the data sheet of this part I understand that max continuous current is 300A at only 25 degrees C. The fuses are rated 220A for 5 minutes. And the manual says the controller is limited to 200A

When you say 400A do you mean continuous or peak?
I wonder if Citroen changed the spec at some point
What year is yours?
mine is 2000.

Evan Tuer wrote:
On 7/20/07, Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have always been curious about the need for high amps.

The documentation for Citroen Berlingos states that peak current is 200
amps, and I think this is probably correct because the IGBT is only
rated 300 amps.  There is more than enough acceleration. Vehicle weighs
2 tonnes.

With maximum battery power of about 28kW, the acceleration is "more
than enough" up to about 25MPH, above which it is best described as
"leisurely".  This is fair enough since it's a delivery van and
intended for city driving with 30 or 40mph speed limits.

Anyway, this is little to do with the current rating of the
controller.  You could achieve the same power with a 500A controller,
and a 72V pack.

Timothy Balcer wrote:
I was wondering... if you shielded and twisted all of your cable runs,
and made your battery boxes Faraday tight, would that eliminate some
of the noise trouble? I realize you get EMF from the motor and
controller.. could that be limited as well with a faraday shield
surrounding, or perhaps at least shielding in the right directions,
the engine compartment?

Sure; you can shield it as tightly as desired, to the point where the noise is undetectable without delicate instruments. However, that costs money.

People are of course reluctant to spend money on things unless they are sure it's necessary.

Why can't I use a PWM signal, amplified through a motor driver to
switch a high power SCR? Is this how the old SCR controllers work so
can I just use an SCR big enough for the voltage and current I want
to handle? Just looking for the simplest solid state possible.

There's a lot of controller info in the EV list archives. There are also dozens (if not hundreds) of designs in books, manufacturer's application notes, and on the web. A little research will reveal a gold mine of data.

An SCR PWM controller is indeed pretty simple; very few parts. It's just that some of these parts are pretty big. SCRs are easy to turn on, but hard to turn off. There is usually a big inductor, capacitor, and 2 or 3 extra SCRs or diodes to turn the main SCR off.

Yeah, I thought IGBT's might be the one thats I needed. But how do
forklift scr's work? All I want to do is turn voltage on and off really
fast. I guess there really is just no way to do it without high tech
electronics.

If you lower your expectations enough, then a simple PWM controller is possible. The main tradeoffs are:

 - It will be acoustically noisy (you can hear it operating),
 - It will be slightly less efficient (a few percent).
 - Power will be modest, like a Curtis controller.
 - It won't be "idiot proof", i.e. it will have little or no
   protection from overtemperature, undervoltage, overcurrent, etc.
 - It will have somewhat "lumpy" operation; things like a small
   lurch when starting out, or a throttle response that doesn't
   match a normal ICE's, etc.
 - There will be "surprise" failure modes, due to design or
   assembly errors (stuff you don't know when you build it).

SCRs are cheap, rugged, and easy to turn on (even easier than MOSFETs or IGBTs). The tradeoff is that they are hard to turn off. The classic method is to have a big inductor, a big capacitor, and 1 or 2 extra big SCRs or diodes. The circuits are very basic and well documented; it's just that these are big parts!

could not the IGBTt just be in line with the motor and batteries
switched on and off by a gate current? I'm well aware of the problems
involved with real controllers, it just seems like a solid state
on/off switch could be rigged up without any bells or whistles.

If you're using the IGBT as a solid-state contactor, then there are no switching loss concerns. You just have to deal with the heat produced by its 3v drop at full current.

You will always need a freewheel diode. It is easiest to get an IGBT module that has one built-in, as it will naturally have short leads and be matched to the IGBT's capabilities.

If you want to duty-cycle modulate that IGBT to make a PWM controller, then it gets interesting. Now you have to deal with switching losses, which can exceed conduction losses (twice the heat, which means twice the cooling and/or having to use the parts at half their ratings). And, you have to make fast, accurate measurements in noisy high-power switching circuits, for current limit and voltage protection to work.

I think the trouble with simple cheap controllers is the "tree house" problem. It goes like this:

1. Kids want a tree house. They know they can scrounge up some scrap
   lumber, find a can of rusty nails in the garage, steal dad's hammer
   and saw, and build it in a day or two!

2. But dad knows it will be a ramshackle structure, badly built,
   probably unsafe, and certainly ugly.

What's likely to happen?

A. Kids don't tell dad. They build it themselves. It takes a week
   instead of a month, due to all the "surprises" along the way.
   They smash thumbs, get splinters, bend nails, need to scrounge
   more materials, but manage to cobble something together. It looks
   and works terrible; but they learned a lot and love it anyway.

B. Dad gets involved. He says, "We have to do this right". He makes
   plans, buys materials, tries to supervise but winds up doing it
   himself because the kid's workmanship is so poor. It takes him
   all summer to build it. It looks great and is safe; but the kids
   rarely use it; they're off on some other hot new interest.

It's hard for experts to remember that beginners have far lower standards of quality and performance. The expert knows how to do it "right" -- build something that even he would be proud to use. But it's very hard for him to build a "tree house controller" that is disgustingly cheap crude and primitive.

But the beginner, having no experience with real controllers, may be perfectly happy with a "tree house controller", thrown together out of cheap surplus parts, that works but has all sorts of problems.

The middle ground is difficult to achieve. It would be like:

C. Dad supervises, but forces himself to keep his hands in his pockets
   and his mouth shut most of the time. He shows them how to use a
   hammer and saw, but doesn't do the work for them (so they learn how
   to do it themselves). He shows them how to make strong joints so it
   won't fall apart, but lets them do it their way (so they learn the
   consequences of not doing it right). Dad knows that learning is the
   real goal; not the end product itself.

The end result is a tree house that still looks pretty crude; but it is a heck of a lot stronger and safer that it would have been without adult supervision. And the kids still love it, because they made it themselves!

help set

OOPS! Well, color me embarassed!!
Sorry, guys.
Regards,
Tom

On 7/20/07, Thomas Brannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
help set

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Awesome Lee, I love the "Treehouse" analogy. I will dispense this wise analogy (with credit to you) to many for years to come!

He is absolutely right. I am by no means an "expert" on high-power PWM controls, but I have a few under my belt, including many which still operate. But when I look back at my earliest projects, one of which I still have in my junk collection (but don't use), it makes me laugh at myself. Sure, it works, but I would have slapped myself if I could go back in time. I to remember this when I look over someone else's shoulder when they try to attempt such things. It's best to be the dad who keeps his hands in his pockets.

There is really no effective way to teach someone with the same educational value of a whole row of parallel MOSFETs all blown to bits!

When it happened to me the first time, I felt like I was in the middle of Hiroshima! There was a visible fireball of white plasma and mini-mushroom cloud of blue smoke. I had a T-bridge (PWM speed control with Regen) go short circuit on both legs. It directly shorted 48v of AGM power. The 200a circuit breaker was useless. It never opened at all.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>