  1) Zilla Radiator- Fan/ no Fan
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision replaces all gauges in White Zombie
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: was DIY Electric now forums redux
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision replaces all gauges in White Zombie
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) battery management and power distribution system design
        by "gulabrao ingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: NEDRA Nationals Raffle motor
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Insurance
        by "Bart Grabman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
  9) My Appologies Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
 10) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision description
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision description
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by "Freddie Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
 14) Re: A123 chemistry
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: My Appologies Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by =?windows-1252?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Insurance
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I just had some problems with an undersized pump and a no fan
radiator.(tranny cooler) It had lasted a year but I noticed that when it
was warm, the zilla was fine untill I get to a light, then pulling away
from the light it would go into thermal protect(just about snapped my neck)

BTW, Isn't that pump from ev source awsome!

I went to that pump and switched to the smaller radiator like he had on
his site and added a 120mm 12V fan. on the lowest speed on the hotter
days, after finding all the red lights on the way home. It overheated
once. I turned the fan up to speed two and all is well now. Doesn't even
get warm to the touch.

Remember this
   if running adds 10W/min of heat and accelerating adds 100W/min of
heat if you are adding 150W/5min and are pulling out 30W/min you will
not overheat, but if you are only pulling out 29W/min that extra
watt/min will acumulate. The next stoplight the temperature difference
in the zilla heat exchanger is less so more flow will be required to
take out the watts of heat and the watts of heat from the last cycle. It
can get out of hand pretty quick. The fan lets the system catch up the
pulses of heat from the accelerations at the stoplights when you aren't
moving air past the radiator.

You need it.

You should put a video of the EVision on youtube!

On 7/27/07, Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'll be releasing them for general sale in about 4
> > weeks.
> > John got to give me a feedback first...
> >
> > Victor
>
> Hey Victor
>
> If it can survive Wayland you're golden 8^)  I'm
> guessing you or Tim put it in or he'd have broke it
> already ;^)
> Congrats on developing what looks like an awesome
> unit, I wish you much success with it and it's a total
> win, win, for both you and EVeryone with an EV.
>
> Anyway I just got this picture of you as you
> pondered... who can I get to try and break it, LMAO!
> Just one answer, hehe.
>
> Cya
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric

> Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play
> Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
> http://sims.yahoo.com/

> Umm, that is only an advantage if you are crazy enough to use Digest mode.
> Most people I know just get each email as it comes in, which is
> "real-time" posting.

Except email takes random amount of time to arrive at list... in my experience.

--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup

What is the diameter of the face of evision?
Any more info on power steering control?

--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup
'hElix EV'
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

Or Mail a printable Entry form in with the set price of the raffle ticket by a
certain date well before the EVent. (You might
reveive entries after the drawing so you'll have to return those - or keep
them)  Sales of new tickets during the EVent get added
to those received by mail ... The drawing could be made at the EVent and
Wildman could send an online play-by-play of the drawing
so those of us at home know when we win :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm coming along with my project, and got to thinking today about insurance prices, and how they might differ vs. my Saab.

I just had a couple questions: What kind of coverage do you have on your vehicle? What company do you use? How much do you pay?

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!  http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2
Jukka,

Hopefully you've learned to ignore all of Dan's posts now?  It's quite
clear (at least to me) that Dan has no intention of ever doing anything
except insult people.
He suckers you in with a seemingly honest question just so he can insult
you when you reply.

> Dan, I was not speaking in here. It's called typing or writing. That's
> how the small little letters do appear in your 386 SX + CRT ... OK..
>
> I have bought over 1 000 000 AH from TS up to this date. So.. yes I have
> bought some.
>
> -Jukka
>

> Dan Frederiksen kirjoitti:
>> Jukka Järvinen wrote:
>>> Guys, Guys.. A123 sells Cobal Phosphate cells to DeWalt. They have not
>>> yet brought out the Iron Phosphate cells. At least so I have heard
>>> from the little birds :)  . . . .
>> that's interesting. their website doesn't actually say cobalt or iron.
>> but it does say the specs. it could be crystal meth chemistry for all I
>> care if it works. and apparently it does.
>>
>>> Selling plain cells to "grass root activists" is insane.
>> you really are a schmuck. haven't you yourself bought lithium batteries
>> for a homebuilt EV? such elitist crap
>>
>>> Reason A123 still has good fame is that they are not giving the cells
>>> out to wrong persons.
>> aren't they selling to everyone? just at higher prices. when you learn
>> to speak english properly we can talk about who's the wrong people.
>>
>> Dan

My Appologies to the list.  I ment to send that to Jukka directly.

Sorry.

> Jukka,
>
> Hopefully you've learned to ignore all of Dan's posts now?  It's quite
> clear (at least to me) that Dan has no intention of ever doing anything
> except insult people.
> He suckers you in with a seemingly honest question just so he can insult
> you when you reply.
>
>> Dan, I was not speaking in here. It's called typing or writing. That's
>> how the small little letters do appear in your 386 SX + CRT ... OK..
>>
>> I have bought over 1 000 000 AH from TS up to this date. So.. yes I have
>> bought some.
>>
>> -Jukka
>>

>> Dan Frederiksen kirjoitti:
>>> that's interesting. their website doesn't actually say cobalt or iron.
>>> but it does say the specs. it could be crystal meth chemistry for all I
>>> care if it works. and apparently it does.

>>> you really are a schmuck. haven't you yourself bought lithium batteries
>>> for a homebuilt EV? such elitist crap

>>> aren't they selling to everyone? just at higher prices. when you learn
>>> to speak english properly we can talk about who's the wrong people.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>

> --
> If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
> junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
> wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
> legalistic signature is void.

The diameter of the PCB is 73.5mm, diameter of the analog bar
(outer edges of LEDs) - 58mm. Outside diameter of the enclosure
globe - 79mm. I will update web site with this info and more
detail photos.

John and few others asked to describe features set. Here is quick
rundown for those who haven't looked on the web site:

Measured and displayed parameters:

Traction battery

    * Instantaneous voltage, V
    * Instantaneous current in or out, A
    * Instantaneous power in or out, kW
    * Current capacity, Ah
    * Current energy, kWh
    * Current SOC, %
    * Current temperature (highest of 2 zones), ° C
    * Indication of direction of battery current, OUT (drive)
      or IN (regen or charging)
    * Cycle life counter, full cycles
    * Battery imbalance detection and measurement

Auxiliary 12V battery

    * Instantaneous voltage (V)

Vehicle

    * Current vehicle speed, mph
    * Energy consumption, Wh/mile and/or miles/kWh
    * DTE (Distance to empty) estimation
    * TTF (Time to Full) estimation in charging mode
    * Indication of charging status (in progress and completed)
    * Stock analog fuel gauge driver
    * Night time display and HMI dimming
    * Sleep mode with wake up on ignition, HMI activation or charge
    * Automatic drive/charge/idle mode detection
    * No power consumed from onboard auxiliary 12V battery.

Instrument

    * Streaming running data out from the galvanically isolated
      RS232 serial port (NMEA ASCII format)
    * Download and Upload instrument configuration parameters, user
      preference, battery and vehicle parameters
    * Long retention of internal RTC setup for correct time stamping
      without power applied (~ 1 week).

Optional functions are (not implemented in the software yet):

    * Tire pressure measurement, all 4 wheels, PSI
    * Cruise control
    * Power steering control
    * Charger, BMS and other subsystems control via I/O expansion module

EVision consists of at least 4 sub-blocks - main controller, HMI (remote user interface via rotary encoder) shunt measurement PCB and display. Optional speed sensor is required for efficiency and distance estimation calculations. Inter-component communication is implemented via CAN bus (CAN2b protocol, 500 kbps, extended frame IDs). Front end measurement hardware is based on BRUSA Ah counter shunt and measurement PCB to maintain backward compatibility with legacy BRUSA Ah counters. Thus existing BRUSA Ah counter owners can keep their measurement board with shunt and upgrade only EVision display and main controller. Display comes in 2 flavors: external in a spherical enclosure and internal - without enclosure (for in-dash integration). 12V auxiliary battery voltage is monitored, but not used to power EVision. In fact 12V power doesn't have to be present for proper instrument operation. The power is supplied directly from the main traction pack and the power consumed is about 2 W in running mode and about 300 mW in sleep mode.

Relative SOC level is also outputted through the analog gauge driver as PWM signal.

1 US models use Imperial units (distance - miles, speed - MPH, tire pressure - PSI). EU models use metric units (distance - kilometers, speed - km/h, pressure - bars). Computed values and correct units such as Wh/mile for US or Wh/km for EU are displayed accordingly.

2 Speed sensor required for accurate energy consumption calculation.
If no sensor is present, default value user inputs during configuration
(say, 230Wh/mile) will be used for calculation of DTE.

Provision for Peukert correction is in the software, but this correction
is not implemented. Instead I use usable capacity concept and straight
Wh consumption calculation. User declares how much capacity he allows to
 use and this number is assigned to 100% available capacity.
For instance if you have 50Ah battery (at 1hr rate) and don't want to
discharge deeper than 60% DOD, declare to EVision you have 30 Ah
"usable" capacity. Then, when the battery is full SOC=100% and by the
time 30Ah consumed SOC shows 0% (Ah shows 30Ah consumed) 50Ah is not
"visible" since you don't want to go there. (You can if you have to,
EVision will remain at zero SOC and Ah keep counting).

You can observe any 3 of about 20 monitored parameters at once.
2 with digital readout and one with analog bar. Actually, if you
assign analog bat to display something other than SOC and use stock
fuel gauge for SOC, you can observe 4 parameters).
You can pre-store 20 favorite combinations of any 3 parameters,
(pages") and flip through the pages by rotating encoder button
CW or CCW.

Configuration of pages, alarms, vehicle parameters (wheel diameter,
speed sensor teeth amount), pages, battery parameters and all defaults
are downloaded using simple GUI, but also can be downloaded using any terminal software (Windows hyper-terminal or Mac Z-terminal).

Main electrical characteristics:

        Model   M2-RG-US, M2-RG-EU      M2-BW-US, M2-BW-EU

Display color   Upper digital - green,  Upper digital - white,
                lower digital - red,    lower digital - blue,
                analog bar - yellow     analog bar - white and blue

As of now only red/green/yellow US version is being made.

Measured battery current range (0.01...250A or 0.02...500A in or out standard. (Wayland's version is special - 2,500A max :-) )

Custom shunts for higher current readout are available. High current
measurement is available at the expense of loosing accuracy on
the low side (charging).
Resolution - 1V on display; 0.1V (I think) out of data port;
1% of the top scale basic accuracy.
Current measurement resolution (100A shunt): 10mA up to 10A,
100mA up to 100A and 1A above 100A, but LSB is not very meaningful
since 1% accuracy is dominating factor. For instance 300V readout
will be up to +/-5V (which is ~1% of 512V top scale).

  Measured traction battery voltage               60...512 VDC
  Measured aux. 12V battery voltage               0...16 VDC
  Measured traction battery capacity              0...999 Ah
  Measured traction battery energy storage        0...999 kWh
  Measured traction battery relative SOC          0...100%
  Measured traction battery power                 0...650 kW
  Measured temperature                            -35°C...+99°C,
                                                  hottest of 2 points,
  Measured battery imbalance                      0.5V resolution
                                                  (lower half vs. upper)
  Full charge cycles counter                      0...65535 cycles
Driving efficiency (energy consumption) 0...999 Wh/mile (US),
                                                  0...999 Wh/km (EU)
  Power supply current (from traction pack),
  running mode, no optional expansion module:     6 mA @ 350VDC or
                                                  20 mA @100 VDC

  Alarms can be set for over/under voltage, over current, under-voltage
  of auxiliary 12V battery, under-temperature.

  The power steering output actually is not on present model but is
  on the next PCB rev. One can modify existing EVision to take advantage
  of it when software is in place. It has 2 modes - logic transition
  when pre-set speed is reached (cuts out steering pump) or PWM output
  reducing duty from near 100% to 0% as speed increases - this can
  be fed to the amp running steering pump motor. The motor will
  gradually reduce speed as you move faster reducing power assist.

Basically this is it, I can answer specific questions if
anyone has them.

Ah, the price: $550 for the first 10 units to get going (few are
pre-ordered already) and $775 after that. The shunt of your choice is
extra: 100A (0-150A measurement) is $36; 200A (0-500A meas,) is $48
and 500A (0-2,500A meas.) is $69. This info is on the web site
(on the price list).

If you already happen to have BRUSA counter, you pay $215 less by
re-using its shunt and measurement PCB.

'91 ACRX - something different

p.s. I can use help of someone who knows how to write scripts
for reformatting ASCII text (perhaps Perl be the best, but makes
no difference) - actually all people will benefit from it.
The task is to take captured ASCII output and reformat/align
columns of data so that when imported into excel template,
excel produces plots of meaningful parameters. Best script
writer will get $100 discount if he/she wants to buy EVision :-),
but the utility should be made available to all for free.
I will provide samples of the captured output.
Any volunteers? Please contact me off list if you care to
enhance usability of this gadget.

Tehben Dean wrote:
[...]

How is the speed sensor installed? As you can see, I'm no techie...

On 7/28/07, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> p.s. I can use help of someone who knows how to write scripts
> for reformatting ASCII text (perhaps Perl be the best, but makes
> no difference) - actually all people will benefit from it.
> The task is to take captured ASCII output and reformat/align
> columns of data so that when imported into excel template,
> excel produces plots of meaningful parameters. Best script
> writer will get $100 discount if he/she wants to buy EVision :-),
> but the utility should be made available to all for free.
> I will provide samples of the captured output.
> Any volunteers? Please contact me off list if you care to
> enhance usability of this gadget.
>

> Tehben Dean wrote:
> > What is the diameter of the face of evision?
> > Any more info on power steering control?
> >
> > On 7/27/07, Joseph T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> You should put a video of the EVision on youtube!

I agree with you, Bruce.  I have a dial-up connection that normally connects
as a fast 28.8 speed.  This is the best that I can get since I live out in
the country where cable and DSL is not available.  I, for one, like the
email format because of this.  I just get on-line, open up my email and then
go off and do something else until the emails load.  While I am sure the
on-line forums have their place.  I hope that this email list continues.  I
have been able to build my first EV and put it on the road in less than 4
months with no previous experience.  Most of the help that I received was
from the good people on this list.  I also like the ability to delete any
email that I object to, because of language or the content of the email.  I
do find that some people on the list tend to take things too personal and
get offended too quickly but that will always be the case.  I normally do
not write or reply to many of the responses on the list because there are
more people on the list with a lot more experience that I have. I am glad
that we all have alternatives such as the email list and the on-line forums.
It is our choice as to what we want to use.  I will continue to use the
email list as long as it is available.

Thanks, Freddie

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/899
http://www.southernev.com/dakotaev.htm