  1) Re: NEDRA board help on 3 wheeled vehicles
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) RE: Is GM Playing Games with the Volt?
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Ni-MH cells and Chevron
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Is GM Playing Games with the Volt?
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV digest 7085
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) What happened to my post to John Wayland????????????????
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: NEDRA board help on 3 wheeled vehicles
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) RE: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by Sam Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 96 S10 a good candidate?
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: FW: solid state relays
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: [EV] RE: Is GM Playing Games with the Volt?
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Could higher pack voltage be stepped down for Curtis input?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Type to use?
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: [EV] RE: 96 S10 a good candidate?
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Bench testing the GE EV-1 Controller
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Type to use?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Ni-MH cells and Chevron
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Type to use?
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NEDRA board help on 3 wheeled vehicles
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: AGM battery emissions

GM has a burden that VW and other auto manufacturers do not... the UAW. The UAW
is so incredibly expensive that GM can not afford to sell high-tech cars that
are expensive to develop, expensive to manufacture, and only marginal on sales.
That is why they went so gung ho with SUVs. SUVs are cheap to design, cheap to
make, and they sell like mad! This was GM's reasoning when they canned the EV1.
I know, there are other reasons for the EV1's demise. GM didn't see how the EV1
would help the company assuming it would never sell terribly well. Toyota went
the other way with the Prius even after the Rav4 went belly up. The Prius is
not a high volume vehicle like the Camry or 4-Runner, but it is a fantastic PR
machine. It does not make the company much money directly. Indeed, many argue
that it is sold at a loss. However, Toyota is reaping the rewards of the green
image that the Prius has afforded them and getting ready to replace GM as the
world's largest auto manufacturer because !
 of it.

If GM continues to lose market share, the company may have trouble maintaining
its huge retiree benefits and pension programs. These programs are already in
trouble. Shoot, Delphi, a subsidiary of GM, declared bankruptcy about a year
ago. General Motors does not need to save the world with its Volt. General
Motors NEEDS to save itself.

I would even argue that the US needs GM to get this one right. Ever hear the
saying, "What's good for GM is good for the US?" It's true. If GM goes down,
the US economy will probably take a big hit. Remember the labor strike of...
uh... I think it was 1994? That strike stopped production at GM for a month and
a half. That event knocked a full percentage point off the United States'
growth rate for that quarter. Imagine what could happen if something really big
happened to GM. In 94, GM was the world's 3rd largest corporation. I'm not sure
where it stands today, but it's still pretty big. Big enough that it employs,
either directly or indirectly, nearly one million people.

Neither GM nor the US can afford to have GM screw this one up.
---- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

=============
They have been posting video clips online with Q&As and progress reports.
Some of these feature Bob Lutz.  Lutz comes across as a defensive and
arrogant prick.  In one of the most recent clips he responds to a question
by saying "I don't owe you anything!".  That's GM's "take it or shove it"
attitude towards the consumer.  Lutz obviously feels GM only answers to
shareholders and has no responsibility to society as a whole.  This was in
the context of clean diesel where Lutz talks about how it's too expensive,
yada yada yada and how HCCI will be good enough.  Meanwhile, VW and a couple
others are about to roll out 50-state capable clean diesels.  So they must
know something GM doesn't.

If the Volt does come out, it is again, like the EV1, going to be fighting
against a corporate environment which is only begrudgingly committed to it.

From: Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 30, 2007 1:43:40 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: CNN Money: Have you driven a Fjord lately?

I think the think is not bad looking and makes a great city car, so much so I bought one of the first and it will be here in the states in a couple weeks. It is the original body style and has a new saft pack (was on display with no pack).

Mark

On Jul 30, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Dan Frederiksen wrote:

I don't care for the think because it suffers from stereotype problems. it's unattractive and feeds the impression that EVs are fugly. what I do like about it is the Kamen stirling motor, at least in theory. probably cost too much, never arrive and be too weak in reality but a small clean range extender we sure could use. if it works he might even sell to the big boys too if they ever make phevs. we could get lucky and he could be the wild card big oil didn't count on :)

Dan

Richard Acuti wrote:
This is a great article about the impending resurrection of the Think:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/ 2007/08/01/100138830/index.htm?cnn=yes

Rich

Sorry Jim,

I can't read your posts either.

Shawn

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, July 26, 2007 4:31 pm
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

From: Tim Humphrey
Date: 07/30/07 14:22:25
To: EV
Subject: Re: Type to use?

Heat (to burn up your motor) comes from amps.

Power (to move your car) comes from watts.

Watts is the product of Amps times Volts.

Lets say that your car needs 10800 watts (10.8KW) to cruise at 55MPH.

You have a choice of;

36V times 300 Amps, which is right at the limit of youre motor's rating for
amps.

Or

72V times 150 Amps, which is half of the motor's rating and will allow it to
run much cooler.

I agree.... Go with the Alltrax 7245 or 7265 and shoot for a 72V system.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

> Is this S10 a manual transmission?  Manual or power brakes?  Manual or
> power steering?  It will be easier to get running with the manual
> options, but many on the list have found solutions for power brakes
> (electric vacuum pump) and power steering (electric pump or existing
> pump with a belt to new drive motor).  The manual transmission would be
> the easiest to attach to and use, or a much larger motor driving the
> rear end directly, with a much larger controller.  The manual
> transmission will allow a more reasonable priced DC motor and controller
> to be used.

Its manual transmission, but power everything else.

> Look at the EV Album and see what others have done with a small truck.
>
> Here is a '95 S10 on ebay that was professionally built, AC drive I
> believe.
>
> Check out Solectria E10: item 140142830024
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1401428300
> 24&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle
> %3D140142830024%26fvi%3D1

nice truck :)

> Good luck!

thanks.

--

Steve Powers wrote:

> In the past, I tested these EV-1's outside the car,
> but I had trouble.  Without a series wound motor
> connected to it, it is difficult.  Also, you can't
> free spin a series wound motor, even if I had a spare
> lying around.  So, just connecting it to any old
> series motor (unloaded) is a recipe for disaster.

Not necessarily; you can apply just a bit of throttle and spin the motor
without overreving it, however, if you aren't sure the controller works,
best not to risk it applying too much voltage to the motor as it will
overspeed quickly if there is a fault.

> What I did is just put a load between A1 and A2.
> Then, I jumpered from T2 to A1.  But, I think the
> device is trying to read a voltage across T2 and A1 to
> calculate how much current is flowing.

You've connected it fine.  The controller doesn't measure anything
between T2 and A1 (or A1 and anything).  The current sensor is between
A2 and N (bat -ve).  The A1 connection is not actually required (it just
connects a diode across the armature).

> I am testing with 36 V (3 x 12 V batteies).  The load
> I am using is a perm mag motor.

Probably your PM motor offers too little inductance for the controller
to function properly.

If you've got a big inductor laying around, connect it in series with
the load and see if that doesn't make the controller happier.  If you
don't have an inductor, you could wire the field of a series motor in
series with the load. Without the armature powered, the series motor
won't spin up and acts just as an inductor.  You should be able to
replace the PM motor with a light bulb in series with a big
inductor/motor field for bench testing.

Phelps wrote:
Ok... But I was also told that when you increase the volts, amps will
increase also (In a series motor).

At a fixed rpm, raising the voltage will raise the rpm of a series motor. But...

a) Your aircraft generator is not a series motor. It is a shunt motor.
   In a shunt motor, the current is determined by the load placed on it.

b) The controller will limit the motor current, regardless of what the
   motor tries to do.

Making the volts go to 72 would then make the amps go to over 600.

No; raising the voltage to 72v means the motor rpm will be twice as much for a given field current.

The current the motor draws will depend on the load, and the controller's current limit setting (whichever is lower).

I used one of these aircraft generators in my first EV, at 72v. It worked perfectly fine. It didn't overspeed, and it didn't draw too much current.

Hello James Drysdale,

Jeff Shanab has a great point here.  Think about getting some of the
DeWalt 36 volt lithium battery packs on E-bay.  And a charger.  However,
before you take them apart for the ten cells inside, consider using the
pack as a whole.  When you charge the pack with the DeWalt charger, I
think you get each individual cell to the correct state of charge.  The
DeWalt pack has a small lead to each individual cell for monitoring the
charge or discharge, I am not sure.  By charging the packs correctly,
they will perform and last well.  I have seen pictures where the DeWalt
flashlight tool was disassembled and used to mount a battery to a
bicycle frame.  Once several batteries are charged, they are close in
voltage, and others have run two, three or four in parallel on a
bicycle.  If you go to 72 volts, you will be able to use more of your
pack in series, and less in parallel.
The DeWalt 36 volt charger completes the charge in just under one hour.
You can stop for lunch and be charged if you can carry enough chargers.
Contact me off list and I can send you the contact I have who uses the
DeWalt batteries.  He is helpful.  I also received a wiring diagram on
how to connect to the battery.
Where are you from?  Be careful purchasing on E-bay.  I have found many
good sellers, and one that ships slowly, who sells to the US and
Australia.  Check feedback on E-bay.

Alan Brinkman