On 08 Feb 2017, at 20:15, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 2/8/2017 9:49 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Feb 2017, at 04:53, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 2/7/2017 9:12 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Which is exactly why I'm explicit in defining what the theism is that I consider preposterous and what other god ideas I'm merely agnostic about. Then Bruno criticizes me for "supporting" the former; rather than help him muddy the meaning of "God" so he can call the truths of arithmetic "God".

Let us try to agree on some definition of God. Most people, after and before Christ agrees on this: it is the origin of everything, it is what everything proceeds of, unnameable and transcendent, that is beyond us.

Are you OK, with it. Don't hesitate to improve it.

No, I'm not "OK" with it because it is a misleading appropriation of a common word that is used to denote a superpowerful and knowledgable person who not only created everything, but cares about human beings and demands certain conduct and who acts in the world in response to prayer. Your definition doesn't even rise to the level of a deist god. Even a deist god is supposed to care about human conduct.

The definition I gave is more general, and let such question open. All atheists, christians and muslims I met do agree that their God satisfy my definition.

So what? The Big Bang also satisfies your definition - which means it's not at all definite.

That is exactly the point. yes, the physical primary cosmos, and a big- bang conceived as an origin of all are god(s), and are based on Aristotelian religion. Then, it violates mechanism, so those are consistent religion with some string form of non-mechanist hypothesis. But there are no evidences that such things are god, and all evidences for mechanism are evidence against that idea.

Why adding the controversial attribute?

I don't "add" them. They are part of the meaning of "God" as used by Christians, Muslims, Jews, and some other sects.

Things are much more nuanced than that. The three religions have many different internal school of thought, including some neoplatonist one. They are not numerous only because at some point they have been exploited by terrestrial power, which is a blasphem from the point of view of genuine spiritual inquirer. That happens to any science when exploited by special interests.

Even the Greeks always meant a person by "god".

This is completely wrong. The question of the personhood of the outer God or the One is on the contrary a topic of many discussions and chapters in the neoplatonist literature. It is perhaps the reason of the notion of "inner god", which is a person-aspect of the outer god. The outer god itself is more akin to the eastern Tao, which is conceived as having so will, nor thought. Don't confuse the greek legend with the greek theology, which is a science, and ask no act of faith. Only definition and reflexion, and observation.

We are already know that atheists do not believe in those attribute, and I am agnostic on it.

You're agnostic about Yaweh and Zeus? Have you adopted radical agnosticism like Telmo?

In science, we do not commit oneself in any ontological commitment. And we keep our religious beliefs, if any, for oneself, even in the theological field (I would say: especially with the theological field).

When we do science, we search the axioms on which more people agree and then do the reasoning and see where we are driven. Why use a so peculiar special theory, given that almost nobody in this list agrees such a god does not exists,

Because this list is a very tiny sample of world population.

I have never met a christian who believes in the literal bible. Most abramanic theologian are aware of platonism and open to the idea that science might add evidence for the platonist theology. Note also that the three abramanic religion are already closer to Plato than the materialist religion.

When people tell me that they are communists or Christians or vegetarians and I ask them what they mean by that - I take them at their word. Christians and Muslims and Jews all say that they believe in God who is an immortal powerful supernatural PERSON who created everything and who cares very much about how people behave (especially with their clothes off). So who am I (or you) to say that's not what "God" means.

But the scientific attitude has been forbidden for them, and here we do science, because we are lucky to live in a quasi free-world. It is just astounding than you defend the pseudo-theories of those who have banished or burned at the stake all the reasoners and skepticals in the field since Justinian. Why do the atheists defend so much the theology of the charlatans? In science, we *never* use any word in their common popular sense.

or even that, if it exists, we do not yet have evidences for it? Just to say I don't believe in it? This is completely weird. You could as well say that science has guven evidence that Earth does not exist, by making earth flat by definition. This is not how science works. Why insisting that we use the notion of God which has been imposed to it by terror and violence for a very long time? You are completely illustrating what Einstein said on the atheists and "free-thinker"(*): they are completely unable to leave the religion they hate so much, up to the point of hating even more the religion which use different notion of God, like the original scientific one of the greeks and Indians (and chinese ...). Many religious people believe that the idea that God cares more on humans than on spiders (say) is just utter arrogance, vanity, and delusional.

"Many"? That's the fallacy of the dangling comparison. Many compared to what? Not compared to the number who believe the contrary.

Read Aldous Huxley, or read the Platonists (before and after JC), or read the texts of the mystics.

Then, also, science is not a question of the number of people believing this or that. All new ideas are taken seriously by a minority when they are discovered.

No one serious would postulate that, even if some will continue to hope it, but there are no evidences at all, so let us be agnostic, and not put this in the definition.

You have a fetish to avoid putting anything in the definition that would rule out using the word "God", even though your meaning is quite different from 99% of the people in the world who use the word.

This is simply false, and again, in science, we don't discuss vocabulary issues. Also, you will not find the word God in any of my publications. I do use the word "theology" in my more recent publications, and in "conscience et mécanisme", yet, I have never had any problem with any scientist except fundamentalist gnostic (mainly the gnostic atheists).

Some seem to be nervous, not about the possible use of the term "God", but about the doubt which is raised about the existence of a primary physical universe and physicalism or (weak) materialism. The original antic question was not on the existence of the outer-god, which is a triviality, but on the existence of a primary physical universe. That is the doubt which was at the origin of science. The fake aristotelian authoritative view on nature brought by Aristotle, and very appealing to our intuition, has been the beginning of the Middle-Age.

“People are more unwilling to give up the word ‘God’ than to give up the idea for which the word has hitherto stood”
    --- Bertrand Russell