On 05 Mar 2017, at 23:20, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​Like we can agree to use "god" in the sense of the philosopher: the (unknown) ultimate/absolute reality.

​Yes it's possible that a majority of those fluent in the English language could have decided that the ASCII sequence "God" means the unknown ultimate/absolute reality, BUT THEY DID NOT; instead they decided that sequence means a intelligent conscious omniscient omnipotent PERSON who created the universe.

The majority are not doing science, simply.

In any language the majority is always always always the final authority on what a word means.

Not when we do science.

The fact that you absolutely positively insist on using nonstandard meanings

Read any book in comparative theology. My use of the term is the most standard one. It works for both believer and non believer. You need only to agree with the defining axioms. Only fundamentalist stick on literal interpretation of this or that text/theory.

tells me you're more interested in vocabulary than you are in science or mathematics or philosophy or even theology.

It is the exact contrary. The reasoning does not depend on the choice of words at all.

Your seem to work for the fundamentalists against any come back to reason in the field, and insist on very particular fairy tale theories. In europa, I am not aware of any theologian doing this. Even the priest are laughed at when they do this in most urban churches. Perhaps some remain in the country, but I am not sure. But thanks for adding so much confirmation that gnostic atheism Is accomplice of the fundamentalist in making us forget that the original doubt was about the existence of the Material Universe, not on Reality.

Bruno

 John K Clark