On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 09:24:31PM -0500, Jason Resch wrote:

> Regarding special relatively and collapse, I think the point is that two
> observers in different reference frames can have different presents. Two
> humans walking past each other on the sidewalk may have presents that
> include the Andromeda Galaxy hours apart in time. (See "Andromeda
> Paradox"). So if something on Earth collspses the wave everywhere and
> instantly (in the present) which present is it collapsed in?
>
> I think this even more clearly shows the incompatibility between collapse
> theories and special relatively, beyond just pointing to the FTL influences
> as violations; this shows now we have to somehow use an objective reference
> frame which relatively tells us does not exist. And this leads to collapse
> events happening in different times/places for different observers, even
> ones walking past each other on a sidewalk.

Forgetting about JC's peepee for the minute, ISTM that relativity is
exclusively a 3p theory, whereas QM is both a 1pm and 3p theory. The
1p version of QM looks rather like Copenhagen, with wavefunction
collapses, and the 3p looks more like Everett, with deterministic wave
functions and many worlds.

The incompatibility between relativity and wave function collapse can
be seen as a manifestation of the incommensurate nature of the 1p/3p
distinction.

Cheers