On 01 Jun 2017, at 03:59, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 1/06/2017 6:28 am, David Nyman wrote:
On 31 May 2017 at 04:55, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
On 31/05/2017 12:30 pm, Pierz wrote:
Thanks for these clarifications Bruce. I find your explanations to be very lucid and helpful - they also confirm my own understanding.

Thank you for the kind comments, I try my best to be clear.

IIRC, you weren't a particular fan of MWI when I last conversed with you on this list.

That is indeed the case. I have several reasons to be dubious about MWI. Firstly, it amounts to reifying a complex valued function that resides in configuration space -- I am not sure that this is a well- defined procedure. Secondly, MWI doesn't really do what it claims to do, which is to provide a resolution of the measurement problem in QM. MWI doesn't provide any explanation of the transition from a pure state to the mixed state that is required for experiments to give definite results. At the crucial point, MWI simply says "then a miracle happens!" To be more explicit, deterministic evolution of the wave function by the Schrödinger equation gives a full account of decoherence, and the dissemination of the coherence phases into the environment. This reduces the off-diagonal elements of the density matrix so that the diagonal elements become *almost* orthogonal, but unitary evolution can't go the whole way. The only way one can reduce the pure state to a mixture is to trace over the environmental degrees of freedom, which is to say that the residual phase information is simply thrown away. This trace operation is non-unitary, and there is no warrant for it in the SE itself, so it is, in the final analysis, just an appeal to magic.

Bruce, is it perhaps finally an appeal to observation per se? IOW what you say is of course objectively the case, but perhaps in some way the ​residual phase information isn't relevant (i.e. can be 'traced over') in the synthesis of the 'observer-observation' relation. If so, this relation could perhaps resolve the 'eternalist' pure state (which after all continues simply to be 'there' in the MWI conception) subjectively into what would give the 'instrumental' appearance, in effect, of the probability density characteristic of a mixture?

It is often argued that the density matrix is diagonalized FAPP, and FAPP is all that is required. Unfortunately, I don't think that that really works. Even though the individual off-diagonal elements might be arbitrarily small, there are a very large number of them (increasing as further environmental degrees of freedom are included). The end result is that the original superposition is still intact and no 'split' has in fact occurred -- the situation is still completely reversible. The problem I point to is that there is nothing in the unitary mathematics corresponding to "ignoring inessential degrees of freedom". That is what the partial trace does, but that has to be imposed by hand, it is not automatic, and suffers from all the old difficulties of the Heisenberg cut -- it is arbitrary.

Then there wouldn't seem to me to be a necessary idea of 'collapse' involved, except in a purely epistemological sense. The term 'subjective' here is more in the sense of some fundamental compositional principle of observer-hood than a restriction to out- and-out 'waking consciousness'. I'm not sure if this has any necessary connection to Lockwood's idea of a 'consciousness basis'. Of course quite clearly any of this would be highly speculative, but I'm wondering if it could make any sense in principle? I'd value your opinion.

I think that something like this was what Everett had in mind when called this idea the "relative state model". I think he saw the observer as complete in every branch, so that

|psi> = (|1> + \2>)|me>|environment> --> (|1>|me_1> + |2>| me_2>)|environment>
              --> |1>|me_1>|environment_1> + |2>|me_2>|environment_2>

and he then considered the two parts of the development to be complete in themselves, so we found ourselves in one or the other branch. Everett had no particular commitment to the existence of the other branches --

Well Everett denied this, and his son, and daughter confirmed this, as I have read in a short biography. Everett told that he had been asked to withdraw any tlak on parallel world, and the term relative states was proposed by the editor of the journal (Review of Modern Physics). This seems also clear from his long text.

it was DeWitt who developed the idea of many worlds. The trouble here, as is well known, is that the above is still a pure state, and we require a reduction to a mixed state in order to be able to consider one or other branch on its own. The 'collapse' can be regarded as epistemological, but we will still need the mixed state.

OK with this.

Thirdly, the non-observed branches in MWI play no essential role in the theory, so Occam would say that they are inessential entities that should be discarded. If one is simply going to discard them, and they play no observable role, why invoke these other branches in the first place?

I wonder if you'd care to comment on my original argument on this thread - which has of course now been swamped by the usual brawls. Does not a single history + the physical insignificance of the notion of a current moment mean that there is also only a single possible future?

We will only experience a single future, but what that future is, is indeterminate at the present instant.

And if the future is predetermined in this way, isn't this a serious issue for single universe models of QM? How can the outcome of quantum events be both inevitable and random?

I don't see that there is only a single possible future. The block universe notion only requires indeterminate time ordering for spacelike separated events. The future along and inside one's future light cone is in the future for all observers, so need not be determined by some other observer having already seen what happens. The block universe only constrains the future only in very limited sense -- it is only for spacelike separations that simultaneity is ambiguous, timelike separations are not so constrained.

Quantum non-locality is another matter, however, and there are growing indications that quantum entanglement and the associated non-locality might prove to be of fundamental significance for physics -- such as the possibility that space-time itself might emerge from quantum entanglements.

​Yes, I'm reading Wallace's Emergent Multiverse at the moment on this topic, amongst others. ​Here's some rank speculation in the MWI vein from the observational perspective: Let's say that entanglement does indeed turn out to be very fundamental in the genesis of what we call 'worlds' in the first place. Mightn't it then be the case that observers - who themselves by assumption supervene on a very narrowly-constrained physics - thereby can't help but find themselves observing the equally tightly-constrained consequences of just such entanglement?

I am not sure I follow where you are going here. Entanglement is ubiquitous in QM, but not all entanglement is monogamous in the sense that the EPR singlet particles are maximally entangled. Of course, if space-time is basically a manifestation of entanglement, then observers supervening on physical space-time will be part of this entanglement

IOW, trivially, it's a necessary condition of their own existence. So consequently there could be the appearance of non-locality without there being the requirement for actual simultaneity of action across real physical separations (all the more so if this is conceived as preceding the very emergence of space-time itself).

Showing that space-time is emergent from entanglements of some kind might very well explain of the origin of non-locality -- basically because, in the presence of universal conservation laws, this entanglement is always non-local in character. But this is all still very much in the speculative phase of development.

Entanglement is non local, but without any physical influence at a distance, in the MWI picture.

Bruno

Bruce

I know this argument has an unavoidable flavour of circularity, but again my question is about principle, not proof. I guess it's also an argument for a species of super-determinism, but with all the counterfactuals still permanently in play, as it were.

David