On 01 Jun 2017, at 13:02, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 1/06/2017 8:21 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 31 May 2017, at 09:15, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 31/05/2017 4:40 pm, Pierz wrote:

>> On 5/30/2017 7:30 PM, Pierz wrote:
>>> Thanks for these clarifications Bruce. I find your explanations to be very lucid and helpful - they also confirm my own understanding. IIRC, you weren't a particular fan of MWI when I last conversed with you on this list. I wonder if you'd care to comment on my original argument on this thread - which has of course now been swamped by the usual brawls. Does not a single history + the physical insignificance of the notion of a current moment mean that there is also only a single possible future? >> I don't see how that follows. In the usual model of forking in the future direction every current moment has a single history, but multiple futures.

Multiple futures = MWI, surely.

Not necessarily. If you insist on Schrödinger determinism, then yes, by reification of the wave function. But if the wave function is only epistemological, then there is only one probabilistic future.

How could an epistemological wave interfere all by itself? It seems simpler to say that the wave is real, but that the local, one branch, perception is epistemological.

I think you misunderstand this use of the word "epistemological". When it is said that the wave function is merely epistemological, what is meant that it is merely a calculational device: the wave function encapsulates our knowledge of the system of interest, and tells us how to calculate the probabilities of various outcomes. In other words, it is not a 'real' wave in space-time.

Yes. That is the problem. How a non real wave in space time can interfere really in space-time? Of course, the answer is simple with the MWI, but asks for real infuence at a distance with the Mono-world assumption.

When I say a single history, I mean that from the Big Bang forward, the universe only followed one branch.

And that can lead into the future, only one probabilistic future.

>>> And if the future is predetermined in this way, isn't this a serious issue for single universe models of QM? How can the outcome of quantum events be both inevitable and random? >> Having a single future isn't the same as being determined. A single future in which situation A is sometimes followed by B and sometimes by C is still random.

It depends on perspective. It's true that from 1p, it looks random. But from 3p, it is static and always the same, and in this sense determined.

Not true, the 3p view of the future is still just a single probabilistic world line. It is only the bird view, from outside space and time, that gives the appearance that there are multiply existing futures. Neither we from the 1p perspective, or from outside ourselves in the 3p perspective, can we ever see any of the other branches predicted by MWI.

Yes, like in WM-duplication.

No, that is a serious mistake. Unitary evolution of the wave function is not at all like the person duplication experiments. The main difference is that the duplicates of the Helsinki man are never in a pure quantum state.

That was not the point. The comparison is on the reasult measurement, not on the reason of the parallel states. With mechanism, the reason are the same (the first person indeterminacy). With collapse, we need magic.

The teleportation to W or M is of separate classical entities, There is no superposition principle for duplicated persons.

You can defined for the Helsinki guy. He is in a sort of (non quantum) superposition state in helsinki, which indeed, like in the MWI, is just his ignoance on which computations he belongs. I use Y = II, if that is still needed to say.

The guy in Helsinki can predict that his first person future will be unique, even if he knows that in the "bird" picture, that outside the teleportation/duplication boxes, there will be two versions of him.

That is not the "bird" picture, that is merely the objective 3p picture of the ordinary classical world. The bird picture is solely to do with the pure state that is preserved in the unitary evolution pure state of the wave function.

I do not assume QM in that context. I was just doing an anlogy, at this stage.

This is where the problems with MWI really show up. When you have a quantum event with, say, two possible outcomes with equal probabilities, such as measuring the polarization of an unpolarized photon, the initial probability is 0.5 for each polarization. But after the measurement, the probability for the observed result (horizontal or transverse as observed) is unity -- because the result has been observed, it is now certain. So how did the probability suddenly change from 0.5 to 1.0?

Well, with the MWI, it is the same as the dropping from the Helsinki 1/2, to the W(M) "local certainty".

In the classical case, such as the duplicates of the H-man going to W or W, there is no problem. The system is already in a mixed state, so the change in probability is simply the result of getting additional information.

That remains the acse in the MWI.

Just as in the toss of the fair coin, heads and tails are equally likely, but the jump of the probability for 0.5 to 1.0 on observing the result is purely a classical epistemological effect. This is not true for the quantum pure state. In order for the change in probability to be understood epistemologically, the pure state has to be reduced to a mixed state (a process that is not necessary in the classical examples).

With the MWI, mixed states never occur. A superposition never disappear, except from the frog which looks at the polarization state, from its first person pov. But the wave describes this only by "splitting" the frog along the measurement obtained. Things get mixed only in apparence for each person pov.

In quantum mechanics, this change is brought about by the unitary processes of decoherence,

As Everett explains well, and suggest already this makes any influence at a distance only apparent, but never real. Einstein can sleep well.

and the non-unitary trace over the environmental degrees of freedom.

Which reflects only, in the MWI, the contagion of the superposition to the environment.

This is an essential difference between classical and quantum physics, and the necessity for this non-unitary reduction of the pure state to a mixture is ultimately why MWI is actually no better at explaining quantum measurement than are the collapse models.

Only if you interpret the decoherence as a physical phenomenon, but then we get non unitary evolution in Nature, and -quantum mechanics- without collapse is false.

The question is, what determined (from the 3p view) that the universe followed that particular path and not any of the others?

Why do you reject out of hand that the universe might be probabilistic? It is possible 'nothing' determined which path from the possibilities was actually followed. All that is known are the probabilities for each path. We do not know that the other paths are followed, either 1p or 3p.

In QM, we do have evidences that many path are taken all together. if only the two slits.

That is not really a relevant comment. Quantum mechanics is characterized by the presence of superpositions -- that is what makes the theory work, and why it is so different from classical physics. Superpositions generally represent pure states, and these must be reduced to mixed states by the measurement process.

Without collapse, that never happens.

Bruno

Bruce