On 22/06/2017 10:32 am, David Nyman wrote:
On 22 Jun 2017 00:31, "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 22/06/2017 1:44 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:

        On 21 Jun 2017, at 08:21, Bruce Kellett wrote:

            On 21/06/2017 4:03 pm, Russell Standish wrote:

                On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:15:31PM +1000, Bruce
                Kellett wrote:

                    On 19/06/2017 10:23 am, Russell Standish wrote:

                        I know Scott wouldn't go as far as me. For me,
                        all such irreversible
                        processes are related to conscious entities in
                        some way. Whilst
                        agreeing that Geiger counters are unlikely to
                        be conscious, I would
                        say that the output of Geiger counter is not
                        actually discrete until
                        observed by a conscious experimenter.

                    That sounds remarkably like the "many minds"
                    interpretation of
                    quantum mechanics. This is disfavoured by most
                    scientists because it
                    leaves the physics of the billions of years before
                    the emergence of
                    the first "conscious" creature unresolved -- the
                    first consciousness
                    would cause an almighty collapse on the many minds
                    reading.

                Each consciousness causes "an almighty collapse" in er
                own mind
                independently of any other. It's a pure 1p phenomena.

            It is actually a 3p phenomenon because there is
            inter-subjective agreement about the fact that
            measurements give definite results.

        Inter-subjectivity does not imply 3p, as it can be "only" 1p
        plural. Let me illustrate this with a variant of the WM
        duplication.

        Imagine that Bruce and John are undergoing the WM-duplication
        *together*.

        By this I mean they both enter the scanning-annihilating box,
        and are both reconstituted in Washington and in Moscow.

        And let us assume they do it repetitively, which means they
        come back to Helsinki, and do it again together.

        Obviously, the line-life past that each copies describes in
        its personal diaries grows like H followed by a sequence of W
        and M. The number of copies grows exponentially (2^n). After
        ten iterations, we have 2^10 = 1024 individuals, who share an
        indeterminate experiences. With minor exceptions, they all
        agree that the experience has always given each times a
        precise outcome, always belonging to {W, M}. Importantly  the
        duplicated couples agreed (which was the Washington or Moscow
        outcome) in all duplication. They mostly all agreed they did
        not found any obvious algorithm to predict the sequence (the
        exception might concerned the guys in nameable stories, like:

        WWWWWWWWWW

        MMMMMMMMMM

        Or the development of some remarkable real number in binary,
        like the binary expansion of PI, sqrt(2), sqr(n), etc. In this
        case, the computable is made rare (and more and more
        negligible when n grows, those histories are "white rabbits
        histories").

        That is what I mean by first person plural. It concerns
        population of machine sharing self-multiplication. it is
        interesting to compare the quantum linear self-superposition
        with the purely arithmetical one.

    Sure, that would seem to be reasonably described as 1p-plural.
    except that there is no need to have two people enter the
    duplicating machine and undergo different teleportations
    afterwards. Surely it is sufficient to consider one person doing a
    series of polarization measurements on a sequence of photons from
    an unpolarized source. That person will record some sequence of
    '+' and '-' results. If the experiment is repeated N times, there
    will be 2^N sequences, one in each of the generated worlds.

    But that has nothing to do with inter-subjective agreement between
    different observers. To see that, consider just one polarization
    measurement: In order for it to be said that the measurement gave
    a result, there has to be decoherence and the formation of
    irreversible records. I think it is Zurek who talks about multiple
    copies of the result entangled with the environment. So many
    different individuals can observe the result of this single
    experiment, and they will all agree that the result was what the
    experimenter wrote in her lab book. That is inter-subjective
    agreement. It clearly has nothing to do with 1p, or 1p-plural
pictures.

I think there may be a terminological confusion here. IIUC, 1p-plural denotes, amongst other things, just such inter-subjective agreement between mutually entangled observers.

That seems a remarkably confusing terminology. The example Bruno gave to illustrate 1p-plural was not an example of inter-subjective agreement -- there were just repeated measurements by the one person. If you conflate 1p-plural with inter-subjective, what on earth is 3p? The notation suggested to me 'third person', or the view of an outsider watching the experiment. This outsider certainly gets entangled with the experimenter and his result, but the many copies give rise to the inter-subjective agreement about what that result was. Bruno has certainly used 3p in this way many times -- in his endless disputed over step 3 with John Clark, for example.

Physics, in this usage, is considered as 1p-plural at least in terms of its phenomenology, because those phenomena essentially reduce to the sum of all possible measurements of this sort.

The phenomena of physics "reduce to the sum of all possible measurements of this sort"? I don't really understand what that means. Physics is a consideration of the results of experiments as agreed by the physics community. It is not a "sum of all possible measurements".

Bruce