Solved it!

On another thread regarding certificates, I found that since Evolution uses Mozilla's libnss, Mozilla's certificate database can be imported into Evolution by copying the files cert8.db, key3.db and secmod.db from ~/.mozilla/<user>/<random>/ to ~/.evolution. I did this at first to import the root certificates into Evolution in order to validate digitally signed messages. I was very surprised, however, when Evolution prompted me for the PIN on the hardware device!

Although this is an interesting and functional workaround, I would like to see a user interface to access hardware devices within Evolution and not have to go through all the hassle of recopying files from Mozilla to Evolution. Any plans on this?