From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Beahm, Keith
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 4:01 PM
To: exchange@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [Exchange] DAG operations after a datacenter power outage

We run two DAGs each with an equal number of member servers* at each of two
datacenters.  Over the weekend we suffered an extended power outage at Site 1.
After the Site 1 servers were shutdown we went thru the process of correcting a
member server imbalance (i.e., there were more member servers at Site 1 in DAG1
than in Site 2).  That was a careless oversight, but it was corrected by
removing the 'extra' servers with Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer
-Identity DAG1 -MailboxServer ExchSvr1 –ConfigurationOnly.  Once that completed
we had to Stop the remote DAG servers in the down Site 1 using
Stop-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup –Identity DAG1 -ActiveDirectorySite Site1
-ConfigurationOnly:$True.  Then since we had already set the WitnessServer, and
AlternateWitnessServer values with both Site values we ran
Restore-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -Identity DAG1 -ActiveDirectorySite Site2,
and that allowed us to mount all the databases at Site 2.   Fast forward to the
restore of power at Site 1.  We powered back on the exchange servers after a
good delay for Site 1 DCs to complete replication of changes made at Site 2,
and resumed all the mailbox database copies.  All but two resumed without
issue, but it was a 10 hour outage and mail flow was active the whole time.

So my question to you is should I now run the Start-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup
in the same way to bring these Site 1 servers back to an operational state
(i.e., so they can participate in future failovers).  Initially I didn’t detect
that the DAGs were still reporting Stopped Mailbox Servers, so my 2nd  question
is will there be any impact to services when I run that command, assuming I am
on the right track to begin with.

The environment is Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4, and Server 2008 R2 SP1.  Both DAGs
have DatacenterActivationMode set to DagOnly.

Thank you for your time and effort, any suggestions would be appreciated.  And
yes there is already a plan in place to apply SP3 RU14.

Keith D. Beahm | Messaging and Storage Architect | Stinson Leonard Street LLP
1201 Walnut Street, Suite 2900 | Kansas City, MO 64106-2150
T: 816.691.3374 | M: 816.808.8983 | F: 816.412.1022
kbe...@stinson.com<mailto:kbe...@stinson.com> |
www.stinson.com<http://www.stinson.com>

This communication (including any attachments) is from a law firm and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If it has been sent to you
in error, please contact the sender for instructions concerning return or
destruction, and do not use or disclose the contents to others.