Submitted 25-Aug-00 by Asheesh Laroia:
> Has anyone configured an ESS 1868 sound card using Mandrake?  I can't get
> it to work.  I used Harddrake, and selected sound card, then ESS 1868, and
> it seemed to give it a reasonable configuration set (IRQ 5, I/O 220), but
> the "modprobe sb" afterwards gives me a "device busy" error.  If I'm not
> mistaken, the configuration set it gives the card is the same config as a
> true SoundBlaster 16.

I have yet to see sounddrake _not_ choke on an ESS 18xx card.  Yes, for
kernel sound modules, the config is 100% identical to an SB.

The questions are: 1) is the card set up plug and pray?  2) If so, have you
considered using ALSA drivers (which support plug and pray) for it?  3) if
it isn't PnP and/or ALSA isn't an option, are you sure that that it is set
to those defualts?

I use ALSA on an 1868 with a very simple config.  In addition to the generic
ALSA options for OSS compatibility and such:

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es18xx
options snd-card-es18xx snd_index=0 snd_id="ES18XX"

This allows for a consistent config across several machines which have the
card cofigured differently (typically differences in IRQ).

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order"
  -- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"