On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 09:50, Michael Holt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 06:35, Jack Coates wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 01:30, elPunishar wrote:
> > > hi everybody,
> > >
> > > i noticed that my 1 gig of ram is getting filled up real quick, which may be
> > > okay since i'm running a lot of programs.
> > > BUT it doesn't come down again even when i close the programs... memory use
> > > just grows and grows (slow but steady), then beginns to fill up the swap
> > > space...
> >
> > memory at 80% full is normal disk caching, and Windows does it too (they
> > just don't report it). Growing usage and using swap may not be normal
> > though. Try running top and pressing M to sort by memory usage, then
> > watch it. You may have an app leaking memory.
> > --
> > Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
>
> Curious, I have 512M ram and 256M swap - top shows I'm using 198M of mem
> and none of my swap - I've been running my computer all morning and I've
> got a few apps open.  Why would 80% of 1G of memory be normal?

well, it's normal for me :-) I've read that the VMM will allocate as
much RAM as feasible and practical to disk caching.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"Take my hand and dry your tears babe, take my hand and forget your
fears babe, there's no more pain, there's no more sorrow, they've all
gone, gone in the years babe."
-- The Broad Majestic Shannon from If I Should Fall From Grace With God
by The P
ogues