On Tuesday 18 November 2003 6:31 am, Jack Coates wrote:

> > Well, I found that the problem is not with the sound card, thanks to you
> > guys. Bjorn gave me a tip in the options cs4232 line with the mpuirq=10,
> > and I got it up and running, but only in console. Yep, in tty1, I was
> > able to play an mp3 with mp3blaster.
> >
> > But when I get over to the graphical side, running XMMS completely locks
> > up the system. The mouse is dead, the keyboard is dead, the whole
> > freakin' thing. It doesn't crash until a sound is made. Attempting to
> > play an mp3 kills it, and generating a tone with the tone generator
> > plugin kills the system. So then I wondered if it was something about the
> > sound system, and I installed Kaboodle, and attempted to play an mp3.
> > Same deal. DOA.
> >
> > I am wondering if its and IRQ problem, but it doesn't seem so. Now, I
> > appear to be using IRQ9 for mpu and IRQ 5 for sound. IRQ 9 does not show
> > up in /proc/interrupts, however IRQ 5 is shown to be used by Crystal
> > Audio Controller.
> >
> > Where do I go from here?
> >
> > Rob
>
> you're a KDE user, aren't you?
>
> in the DM you're using (e.g. mdkkdm, kdm, gdm, xdm) make sure that X is
> not being niced:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg129204.html
>
> kcontrol, stop artsd from running with real time priority.
>
> xmms, make sure it's using arts output plugin (may need to install
> xmms-arts), don't allow it to run with realtime either.
>
> log out, then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to make the DM changes take effect,
> then log back in and you should be fine.

OK, I altered the X stuff (not that I can see how this would effect the crash)
then I dropped out of KDE and entered Gnome.

Trying XMMS I had the same problem. Start to play the tune (this time an ogg
file) and the keyboard and touch pad are doa, without any kernel messages.

And I started XMMS for Console, and there were no messages there. And just for
yucks, I tried mp3blaster in a console window. You guessed it, dead as a
doorknob.

What the heck could it be? How the heck could I detect it?

Rob
--

Linux: For the people, by the people.