On Wednesday 19 November 2003 12:36 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> I have recently started trying to install lm sensors on my computer which
> has a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard.  I have had very mixed
> results with the sensors including some very hard to diagnose hard locks on
> the machine when I attempt to load the sensor modules.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience working with lmsensors and want to
> take a crack at helping me figure out the problem.

I have a Soyo KT400 DUB and I have got sensors running without trouble.  I
actually have the lm90 working by installing the version from cvs.  It reads
the diode off the processor and is a much more accurate temp.

> Scenario, I installed lmsensors by RPM, ran sensors-detect and let it
> create the /etc/sysconfig/lmsensors configuration file.  When I restarted
> the computer, the lmsensors init script kicked off, showed loading modules
> and then nothing, hard lock.  I power cycled the machine, booted into
> failsafe mode, disabled lmsensors init script and went back into Linux.  I
> manually tried to load lmsensors init script and it hard locked again.  I
> rebooted, went back and tried to manually load the modules that are loading
> from the script and they loaded fine.  I then manually unloaded the modules
> and they also unloaded fine.

I only load the it87.  The lm75 driver may be causing your problem, there
isn;t one on that board.  Also, on the Soyo, I only got accurate readings by
specifying a socket type when modprobing the driver.  the differnet types are
in the docs, but I figured out the Soyo is type 38.  The voltages are a
little messy too.  This can be fixed by making a few changes to the
sensors.conf file, but I haven't taken the time to figure out the adjustments
and do it.  Here are the relevant lines that I added to my rc.local file.

# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe i2c-viapro
# I2C chip drivers
modprobe it87 temp_type=0x38
modprobe lm90

> I rewrote the lmsensors init script so that it was manually loading the
> modules rather than pulling them from the /etc/sysconfig/lmsensors file.  I
> ran the script and it loaded the modules, then stopped the script and it
> unloaded the modules.  When I went to restart it, the machine hard locked
> again.
>
> I am currently trying to load only the i2c-viapro, i2c-isa, i2c-it87 and
> it2-lm75 modules and skipping the adm1021 and eeprom modules since my
> machine appears to have the most issues with the adm1021 module and I don't
> really need the eeprom one.
>
> I have just edited my modules file to load the i2c-proc module at bootup
> rather than letting it load from the lmsensors init script.  If anyone has
> any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate it.

I would just try without the lm75 loaded.  Before I installed the newer
version, I was running without any problems.

> BTW, sensors.conf is stock and I did not add any lines to /etc/modules.conf
> except the alias for char-major-89 i2c-dev because the other adm1021 line
> should not be needed since I am not loading adm1021.
Yes, that is correct.

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx