>   You see those `maybe{` words? What are they, I wondered, and looked up
> their help. It was empty.

They are classoids! Don't try looking up the documentation for that,
it isn't there. :)

>   Yet it works exactly the way I wanted: it allows you to assign either the
> specified type(s) or `f` to a slot.
>
>   That's a very useful feature, and it seems to be there for five years! But
> why is it not described or even mentioned?

Maybe (hahah) because it is part of the class algebra system and it is
a complicated part of Factor. So no one has spent the time to
understand it fully and write documentation for it. It contains some
really cool features:

    integer rational class<=
    rational real class<=
    integer real class<=

"The set of all integers is small than the set of all rationals which
in turn is smaller than the set of all real numbers." I agree it would
be useful with more documentation in this area.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist