On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Behnam Esfahbod wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 11:04, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >
> > > "Button Phrasing. Write button labels as imperative verbs, for
> > > example Save, Print. This allows users to select an action with
> > > less hesitation. An active phrase also fits best with the
> > > button's role in initiating actions, as contrasted with a more
> > > passive phrase. For example Find and Log In are better buttons
> > > than than Yes and OK."
> >
> > Isn't this only about *English* button labels?
>
> I think no, it's right about *buttons*.
>
> But we should translate "Print..." in "File" menu as infinitive, "chaap"
> or "chaap-kardan", IMPO.

Actually I hate to see "chaap kardan..." in a menu.  What does it
mean?  The shortest sentence you can build up to fit that is
"Baraaye chaap-kardan injaa ro feshaar dahid"!  I prefer
"chaap...", as a short form for "dialog-e chaap".  And finally
"chaap kon" on a buttons is the best, as it's the whole sentence,
you don't need to guess the sentence!  About QA that Roozbeh
mentioned, it's a standard that links to dialogs are always
followed by ellipsis.  I like it that when you see "chaap kon",
you know that pressing the button would do the printing job, but
you see "chaap...", you know that you are going to make the final
decision(TM) later.

behdad,
who is going to study after finishing this mail.