Thanks, Steve.  I also ran across this quotation at
http://dltj.org/article/description-datastream/

   "working with Fedora's compulsory Dublin Core (DC)
   datastream started one thinking about the metadata that
   a repository object would eventually need and how this
   might be mapped onto the Dublin Core fields. It was some
   considerable time later than an e-mail on the
   Fedora-users list made it clear that the inherent DC
   datastream was intended solely for Fedora's internal use
   and not as the basis of external searches."

So I guess I'm implementing my own lookup mechanism as a web service.

-SS