On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM, <nicolas.mail...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well none of us are lawyers here, and you should not rely on anything
> written on a public mailing list when there is a risk of a trial. And when
> the wording of a license is unclear, there is definitely one.
>
> If I had to embed a font in an application I certainly wouldn't start with
> a GPL font but look at Droid or another font with lax licensing (though
> the licensing would need to be double-checked too).

I thought about Droid, but it talks about using OpenType features and I was
planning on using freetype.  So, I'm open to using Droid, with its OFL
license, but I'm not sure if it would render correctly using just freetype.

> That, or ask the author of the font I selected for an explicit
> authorization.

That's kind of what led me here.  AFAIK Redhat is the license holder for the
font.  I don't know who to contact at Redhat about this question.  All of
the pointers that I found point to the Fedora Fonts SIG.

> (BTW I sure hope no one is going to try the embedding trick in any app
> Fedora ships, it's enough of a legal pain with detached files)

Heh, its not a problem on modern fedora. :)

-brandon