On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 23:59 +0100, birger wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 11:15 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > As a side-note, it has started to burn Ubuntu users, too. It will
> > > be interesting to see whether that will result in any fixes.
> >
> > A lot of work on it has happened and it is getting better, but (sorry,
> > no personal attack to the very busy developers meant here) there seems
> > to be some sort of reality negation field surrounding it when more
> > advanced users miss features that were there before.
>
> I guess it's like a lot of open source projects; If you want to see
> features that are wanted only by a fraction of the community you have to
> make it happen yourself. In some way or another. Code it yourself, or
> advocate it until some developer does it for you.

Correct, of course (the "show me the code" mantra that drives open
source). At some point even that does not work. If the developers have a
vision that is not compatible with yours at a basic level there is no
option.

What I see happening is that the interface is being simplified to the
lowest possible number of controls so that it is "simple to use".
Anything else is/has been stripped out of the programs that control
pulse. And by that I mean "gone and never coming back". Any suggestion
to bring that back and enable it under an "expert" mode is shot down
very fast. Eventually the argument boils down to "use alsamixer" if you
need that functionality. I have read some of those threads (there are
plenty) and participated in some and at some point you just give up.
There is no consideration to more advanced users at all (that _I_ can
see).

[MUNCH]
> > In fc12 it does play nice with a properly packaged jack so that is very
> > good (in fc11 that only happens if you use the Planet CCRMA jackd as it
> > has a perl wrapper script that deals with pulse properly - bugs in pulse
> > make the dbus interface not work when trying to release the card).
>
> I would like to know more about how to set up pulse and jack properly on
> F12.

I don't think there's anything to set up (I imagine that depends on how
you want to use the different programs). When starting jack it talks to
pulse and aquires the soundcard. All current streams going to pulse get
paused and they resume when jack exists. At least that is the behavior I
have seen in my tests.

> The definitive guide to what can be done and how well it works. :-)
>
> At the moment I stop everything that uses sound, then start jack and let
> it take over my soundcard. Pulse gets switched to a USB headset that
> jack doesn't want to see.

Hmmm, not too good I guess. Pulse should not be guessing as to where to
send things. Maybe that is configurable.

> This way pulse apps and jack apps seem to
> coexist nicely. With pulseaudio-module-jack I guess I could integrate
> them and let either one own the hardware and the other one plug in.
> Letting pulseaudio own the hardware and use it as a sink for jack sounds
> like the easiest solution. Perhaps jack will be able to use my USB
> headset that way. Will this kind of setup hurt latency badly?

Yes, of course. It depends on what you want to do with jack, for
anything worthwhile from my point of view jack has to control the
soundcard directly. Then you can load the jack sink/source into pulse
and use that to direct oulse streams to jack.

-- Fernando