Not sure why the Vet would say that Baytril and Doxocycline are simlilar, other than both are antibiotics.

Baytril (Enrofloxacin), is a second-generation fluoroquinolone.

Doxycycline is an advanced analogue of the tetracycline family of antibiotics.

Recently I has a cat with severe anemia switched from Doxy to Zenequin (another fluoroquinolone) and he improved dramatically, but he isn't FeLV+ (although we kept testing because he presented as classically infected) and it now seems the the problem was an odd mycoplasma.

As for the
erythropoietin/darbopoietin, it seems to be most often used in cats with kidney related anemia, but in humans it can be helpful for anemia caused by other conditions. I would never say don't try it, but its an expensive trial.

Hoping you find a  good balance for Michael,

Margo


-----Original Message-----
From: Amani Oakley
Sent: Jan 21, 2017 1:49 PM
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org"
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Michael's last hope

Terri

 

I don’t agree with him on the bone marrow. Winstrol can be used on humans with osteoporosis because it stimulates bone marrow cell production. There have been papers written on it. Did he give the Winstrol? I couldn’t be sure from your post.

 

Also, no Baytril is not like Doxy. Doxy is known to interfere with RNA synthesis and thus has some effect on viruses, and other non-bacterial agents. As far as I know, Baytril doesn’t.

 

Amani

 

From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Terri Knight
Sent: January-21-17 1:12 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Michael's last hope

 

So an update.

 

I had to leave to start working in South Korea without my baby Mike, but I left him in my parents capable hands. They have done a great job and Michael's vet has been great with doing research and getting new options from specialists.

 

I spoke to my vet about Amani's advice and he explained what those drugs were for and what we were doing already, Michael is in South Africa so we don't always get the same drugs or they have different names.

 

He was already on a cortisone injection which was a better option than the tablet form (until he improves), he was more than willing to give Michael the anabolic steroid but said that it doesn't actually do anything for production of anything in the bone marrow it is to help with appetite, and he was already on Baytril which was similar to Doxycycline but without the common side effect of nausea. He did change him to Doxy with strict instructions to give it to him with food and watch his reaction to it.

 

Just before I left Michael went for blood count again and was still steadily dropping, the vet got got hold of specialists but no good news. After I left my dad told me our vet spoke to more specialists and we had a new option. He gets an injection every few days and the vet said we should see where it will lead by Monday. I'm not sure what the new meds are but my mom has joined this mailing list and my dad will soon too. I told the to keep this platform updated and I will too.

 

Terri

 

On 12 Jan 2017 07:24, <dlg...@windstream.net> wrote:

when i had cncer, they gave me epogen.  i had a reaction to it and they stopped.

---- gidge...@aol.com wrote:
> Terri,  I saw this post and am praying for your little Michael!  Can they start him on Aranesp (darbepoetin) or Epogen, or even Winstrol (which I think has been mentioned here before?).  I know with Aranesp, you give the shot 1 time a week and when it is within normal range, begin to space out the injections to find the right dose to  hold it in that normal range.  Epogen is given 3 times a week and when in normal range, one dosage is skipped and they search for that perfect dosage.
>
>
> Could you get a copy of that most recent blood work as I can read blood work and am wondering if anything else is off. IF so, once it is treated, things may go back into place with other levels.  This is what happened to my baby Kit.  I immediately put her on Rx Vitamins for Pets ~ Liquid Immuno.  Also she was put on antibiotics for fever and infection.  I really would like to see the blood work.  If you want, you can send to me privately at gidge...@aol.com
>
>
> Nancy
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Terri <tkmoo...@gmail.com>
> To: felvtalk <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
> Sent: Tue, Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm
> Subject: [Felvtalk] Michael's last hope
>
>
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> My little boy Michael is 3 and was diagnosed just over a week ago. I noticed he had lost weight and wasn’t quite himself but nothing major, or so I thought. I got him as a stray kitten, had him tested – he was negative for felv, and vaccinated him every year.
>
> On Fri 30 Dec I took him to the vet, she did blood tests to check what could be wrong with him and told me that when he came up positive she didn’t do any further tests. She said he was anemic and prescribed cortisone every day and vitamin B shots every week for 4 weeks. I asked what his lifespan would be and she told me not very long and that there was nothing else we could do except a blood transfusion at some stage.
>
> After coming home from a new years eve party I found him limping and he would not stop moaning, I gave him an anti inflammatory that he had been given for a previous leg injury hoping it would help until morning when a vet opened. It helped his leg but he started moaning again 2 hours later. I finally found a vet that could help on new years day. I told the vet about his history and what had happened earlier that morning, by this time his leg was fine so the vet gave him a strong pain killer thinking he was moaning in pain and told me to bring him back later if it didn’t help. I took him back where a different vet saw him, he did blood tests and the results were terrible, he also felt that he had some sort of neurological issue so he had to be admitted to hospital. His platelet and red blood cell count was extremely low and he was not responding to treatment, I made the decision for him to have a blood transfusion which he received on 3 Jan Tuesday evening. I fetched him on Wednesday and had him tested again on the Friday, his results were still better but there was no sign of his body regenerating. On the weekend he just seemed to improve so much, is appetite was back and he had interest in playing like his old self again, but Monday’s results did not reflect his behavior. His body was not regenerating and his counts had dropped slightly.
>
> My next step is blood tests and decisions on Friday. I am devastated and don’t know if there is anything else that we can do. If anyone can give any advice or suggestions I would really appreciate it. At the moment he is on Baytril and a nutritional tonic.
>
> Kind regards,
> Terri Knight
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>


_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to