I had a 16 year old cat who was diagnosed with an aggressive nasal sarcoma. I
decided to treat it with radiation, but before that, I figured that with such a
poor prognosis, I had little to lose trying other treatments (since none was
suggested) and I put her on the Winstrol/Prednisolone combination. I don’t
think I had her on the Doxycycline as well, but I may have.
Kaitlin did remarkably well on the pills. When I took her in for an assessment
to determine if radiation would help, the head oncology vet (a good friend)
told me that if we had succeeded in getting the response he had seen at that
point in time, AFTER he had done the radiation, he would have assumed it was
the radiation which had caused the improvement and considered the radiation
treatment a solid success. There was significant shrinkage of the tumour using
the Winstrol/Prednisolone treatment, and the tumour had been putting out vast
amounts of very very thick mucous, and that got under control as well. She
still underwent the radiation therapy and it may have helped, but honestly, I
think the meds helped more. Plus, the tumour was right between her eyes, and
when they aimed the instrument, some of the radiation hit one of her eyes, and
caused some damage.
She was with me another 2 – 2 ½ years.
From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
Sent: February-27-17 11:02 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Nasal carcinoma :(
My sweet, dear 14 yo FeLV boy Krammer was just diagnosed with aggressive nasal
carcinoma. For the last 2 months, he has had a chronic nosebleed. It started
out small around Christmas, and since then his symptoms have included daily
sneezing fits, bloody nasal discharge from one side of his nose, and the recent
appearance of a small pink mass in one of his nostrils which we thought was
simply a polyp. We biopsied it last week, and the results were not good. His
mitotic indexes were high, with 8-10 of them being in the 10 fields.
Needless to say I'm devastated. It's hard to take, even when I've spent the
last 3 years half expecting something terrible every time we go to the vet. :'(
I'm talking to the vet later today for more information. My guess is we'll opt
for palliative care rather than radiation or chemotherapy, due to his age, side
effects, the rate of recurrence and my available finances, but if anyone has
suggestions, I'm happy to hear them out.
Felvtalk mailing list