The first thing I do when a new cat comes to me is spay or neuter, especially a
male, makes him less agressive and cuts down on spraying.  If he does spry,
Jackson Galaxy has a product that really works!  I use it for urine, vomit and
it really newutralizews the odor.  First though, I do not want to be
responsible for unwanted kittens so I spay/neuter.  At first, for a few years,
everyone else gets vaccine for FELV.  Especially after the cat is at least 4 or
5 years, they do not seem to pass it on to others.  I have had as many as 10
cats in the house and no transmission of the disease.  Maybe I have been lucky.
 Annie still shows positive, but she is 9 years and no one else has become
positive.