Jen

Can I plead with you on Figaro’s behalf? I know how unbelievably disruptive and
disturbing it is to be peed on! I have had the pleasure. But very often it
signals something else is wrong. In my last cat who did this – who squatted
right on the bed while looking straight at me and peed, I oddly got the sense
that HE didn’t know why he had done it. I also noticed that he seemed
particularly disturbed in the litter box, and there were some other oddities
which I had noticed. It turned out that he had a lesion (could be a small
break) in his lower spinal cord (maybe his tail had been pulled or caught in a
door, etc), and these were neurological complications which were resulting in
this odd behaviour. The nerves which enervate the bladder and bowel are found
in the lower part of the spinal cord. Thus damage to that area (a fall, hit by
a car, tail caught in a door and the cat running hard in the opposite
direction) can all cause damage to these nerves.

There are sometimes other explanations such as urinary tract infections, or
just not feeling right.

I would think you think again about having him fixed. I agree with others who
have posted, that it should be okay to fix him if he is not experiencing any
FeLV symptoms yet. However, just to be on the safe side, you might consider
putting him on Doxycycline/Winstrol/Prednisone for a few weeks before the
surgery. There is a published study showing that people who were put on
Stanazolol (Winstrol) prior to abdominal surgery, had a better and faster
recovery than the control group who did not take Stanazolol.

I think that the mortality rate may be due to the fact that surgery weakens the
body and if the cat is already battling an immune challenge, surgery may be the
straw that breaks the camel’s back. However, I would also think that it would
be female cats who would be more at risk. Neutering is not nearly as invasive
as spaying.

Please don’t give up on him. He will have a very dim future, given his FeLV
status and peeing issues.