Robert, I wouldn't worry about the pred. Cats are much more tolerant of it than 
dogs or humans, and I've had cats on it for years.

It's part of some rescue protocols for cancers, so I'd say go for it.

Wishing Gilbert the best...

Margo


-----Original Message-----
>From: ROBERT CHAPEL <bcha...@optonline.net>
>Sent: Jun 19, 2017 1:51 PM
>To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Prednisolone
>
>Lorrie..
>Gilbert is not FeLV... He has a Cancerous Tumor...  I'm giving him 5mg 
>of Prednisolone via Tablet
>and it has been helping ( though ultimately it may be at a  price).....  
>Shelter appears to want o avoid Suboxone and have provided Gabapentin in 
>syringe to try.... Have a feeling that I am , once again, going to have 
>to pay if I want to be sure this guy is not in pain.....  This shelter 
>is beginning to aggravate me with their backward ways and they are going 
>to lose me as a foster parent if this doesn't change...... There are 
>other organizations that need assistance and I need more cooperation...
>Hoping that the  pred keeps helping for a while...
>
>
>On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 08:17 PM, felvtalk-requ...@felineleukemia.org 
>wrote:
>
>> Send Felvtalk mailing list submissions to
>>      felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>       
>> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>>
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>      felvtalk-requ...@felineleukemia.org
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>      felvtalk-ow...@felineleukemia.org
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Felvtalk digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>    1. Pain Meds for Gilbert.... (ROBERT CHAPEL)
>>    2. Re: Pain Meds for Gilbert.... (dlg...@windstream.net)
>>    3. Re: Gilbert (dlg...@windstream.net)
>>    4. Re: Pain Meds for Gilbert.... (Lorrie)
>>    5. Life Gold and Nu-Pet Feline Antioxidant (Marilyn Knapp Litt)
>>    6. Re: Life Gold and Nu-Pet Feline Antioxidant (Pam Doore)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:43:56 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: ROBERT CHAPEL To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Subject: [Felvtalk] Pain Meds for Gilbert....
>> Message-ID: <6f88c64d.a4f7c.15c9ee83388.webtop...@optonline.net>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed; delsp=no
>>
>>
>>
>> Thank you for all the responses re: pain meds....? I was hoping there 
>> was something out there that I hadn't heard about ( actually there are 
>> many but I was hoping for first hand experience)... The shelter is 
>> mulling over providing Buprenorphine... but.. in the meantime I got 
>> them to reinstate his prednisolone ( which is seemingly already 
>> helping....HOPE it continues to do so)...? Wondering if anyone had 
>> used larger doses than 5mg BID..
>> This is a cat? that probably doesn't have a long time to go but one 
>> never knows....? I don't want to play " fast and loose"? with his 
>> other organ systems by giving to much of a a steroid... Yes... I want 
>> him comfortable but it would be awful if the tumor receded and I ended 
>> up screwing up his remaining days with Cushings or Severe Diabetes...? 
>> I did a rather extensive overview of pain meds for Cats today and 
>> found it very hard to obtain definitive information....? Probably need 
>> to go to original Vet Sources....? Sure hope kitties have natural 
>> endorphins that keep their pain levels lower because it is DAMN hard 
>> to find stuff that will help their pain....
>> BTW...? I gave him a little alprazolam the other night when he was in 
>> REAL pain ( prior to redosing with Pred)
>> He had a paradoxical reaction at first ( acting kitten like and 
>> climbing things he had NO business being on ...considering that the 
>> drug had completely screwed up his balance...? He acted like a drunk 
>> essentially until enough time passed that he could sleep it off ( 
>> which he did most of the next day)... On the plus side.. he was not in 
>> obvious pain for at least 10 hours!!...??
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 5:57:38 -0500
>> From: To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Cc: ROBERT CHAPEL Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Pain Meds for Gilbert....
>> Message-ID: <20170613065738.9WI82.469.root@pamxwww07-z01>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> Just like in human medicine, things help one problem and cause 
>> another.  It seems to come down to which problem is the worst or least 
>> bad.  Just read in Mercola about gene editing to change a person's 
>> genetic code.  There are unwanted edits which can be harmful.  To make 
>> a decision for our babies, is hard.  If I had been able to stop 
>> Annie's pain, I think I would have done anything, but at what cost to 
>> her.  It is like giving steroids to stop knee pain.  They dissolve 
>> bone and cause so many other problems, it is not worth it.  I found 
>> that out when the dr gave me the shots in my knees.  My blood sugar 
>> shot up to 700 for about 3 days.  I now take hyaleuronic injections 
>> that do not affect my blood sugar.  In fact they don't seem to have 
>> any side effects.  They cost almost twice as much but last for 6 
>> months so the cost comes out the same.  I just wish they could talk so 
>> they could tell us when and where  they hurt, but their instinct is to 
>> hide pain so predators will not know they are  disabled in any way.
>> ---- ROBERT CHAPEL  wrote:
>>>
>>
>> Thank you for all the responses re: pain meds....? I was hoping there 
>> was something out there that I hadn't heard about ( actually there are 
>> many but I was hoping for first hand experience)... The shelter is 
>> mulling over providing Buprenorphine... but.. in the meantime I got 
>> them to reinstate his prednisolone ( which is seemingly already 
>> helping....HOPE it continues to do so)...? Wondering if anyone had 
>> used larger doses than 5mg BID..
>> This is a cat? that probably doesn't have a long time to go but one 
>> never knows....? I don't want to play " fast and loose"? with his 
>> other organ systems by giving to much of a a steroid... Yes... I want 
>> him comfortable but it would be awful if the tumor receded and I ended 
>> up screwing up his remaining days with Cushings or Severe Diabetes...? 
>> I did a rather extensive overview of pain meds for Cats today and 
>> found it very hard to obtain definitive information....? Probably need 
>> to go to original Vet Sources....? Sure hope kitties have natural 
>> endorphins that keep their pain levels lower because it is DAMN hard 
>> to find stuff that will help their pain....
>> BTW...? I gave him a little alprazolam the other night when he was in 
>> REAL pain ( prior to redosing with Pred)
>> He had a paradoxical reaction at first ( acting kitten like and 
>> climbing things he had NO business being on ...considering that the 
>> drug had completely screwed up his balance...? He acted like a drunk 
>> essentially until enough time passed that he could sleep it off ( 
>> which he did most of the next day)... On the plus side.. he was not in 
>> obvious pain for at least 10 hours!!...??
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Felvtalk mailing list
>> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 6:01:33 -0500
>> From: To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Gilbert
>> Message-ID: <20170613070133.1A6HD.476.root@pamxwww07-z01>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> I am keeping my vet up to date on things that have worked in the past 
>> for other FELV kitties so she can add them to her arsenal and study 
>> them on her own.  I am so glad to have found someone who is willing to 
>> work with me and at least check it out for herself.
>> ---- Ardy Robertson  wrote:
>>> I am probably a little late responding ? I didn?t check my emails for 
>>> a few days, but I used buprenorphine on my Tigger also for his pain. 
>>> One night during the night he came running and jumped up in bed with 
>>> us and was showing signs of pain. I cut the dose in fourths, so I was 
>>> giving him the smallest amount that would work, and I gave it to him 
>>> in a syringe without the needle part. He seemed to ask for it. It did 
>>> not make him drowsy, and worked very fast.
>>>
>>> Ardy
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf 
>>> Of Sheri Burbridge
>>> Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:15 PM
>>> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Gilbert
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you for loving him so hard during his last days. It will 
>>> undoubtedly be difficult to see him go but it's the price we pay to 
>>> give them the quality of life they deserve.
>>> My Mo was on buprenorphine in his last week. It was in little 
>>> syringes that went right on the gums/tongue, maybe it would help? It 
>>> can make them sleepy but I don't think it put him in a stupor.
>>>
>>> I hope you find something to help him, it's so hard to see them 
>>> struggle.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017, 1:04 PM  > wrote:
>>>
>>> While you are away from home, you could place pillows or soft mats 
>>> around his favorite up high places in case he falls and block off 
>>> stairs.  This way he could still be free to roam.  I hope you will 
>>> find some meds for him and he can be close to you when the time 
>>> comes.  As for not getting attached, that is impossible.  Five 
>>> minutes after they are with you, you have lost.  God b e with you 
>>> both and give him a peaceful passing.
>>>
>>> ---- ROBERT CHAPEL  > wrote:
>>>> My latest boy.... Gilbert... who is not FeLV but does have a 
>>>> Cancerous
>>> Tumor behind his Right eye that is extending into his jaw and mouth, 
>>> is
>>> beginning to show signs of pain ( periodically bats at his jaw with 
>>> his
>>> paw and rubs his eye and jaw repeatedly against objects...eating is 
>>> off
>>> and he shifts food to the left side of his mouth and uses rocking
>>> motions of his head to chew rather than opening and closing his 
>>> jaw....
>>> I have a couple of suboxone syringes left and I'm sure I can get the
>>> shelter to prescribe pain meds ( I'm fostering him for them) but 
>>> wanted
>>> to ask you folks what you all have used in the past for pain control 
>>> or
>>> amelioration....  I don't want the guy to hurt but don't want him to
>>> have to spend all his days in a stupor either as he is not , 
>>> apparently,
>>> in such constant pain that he is not interested in appreciating the 
>>> day
>>> or exploring a little bit.....  As predicted I am going to be
>>> heartbroken when he passes.... I thought that knowing in advance that 
>>> I
>>> was taking a dying cat I might be less prone to intense attachment 
>>> but
>>> apparently I am not built that way.... this boy is one of the 
>>> sweetest,
>>> gentlest cats I have ever met.... all he wants is to be near 
>>> people...to
>>> sit on laps and to be petted ( perhaps being Brain damaged affected 
>>> the
>>> " ignore" center in his brain : )...  The fact that his balance is a
>>> little off and he ofen holds his head at an odd angle just adds to 
>>> the
>>> affection I feel for this brave guy ( Yeah, I know... it's built into
>>> his  genetics to survive but there is still something courageous 
>>> about
>>> watching this boy non complainingly doing his best to make do... 
>>> Have
>>> any of you used meds that helped with pain that did not completely 
>>> put
>>> your cats into a stupor....   I'm worried about my boy because he is
>>> already less than able with his balance and I am not always home...
>>> would like for him not to hurt himself attempting to jump on 
>>> something
>>> and missisng......   Ultimately I could keep him confined to a "safe"
>>> room... but that is a last resort thing..... I took him from the 
>>> shelter
>>> so that he would not be confined and would like him to have free rein
>>> for as long as I can.....
>>> Thanks for any experiences you might be able to contribute....
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Felvtalk mailing list
>>> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org 
>>> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Felvtalk mailing list
>>> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>>> 
>>> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:43:07 -0400
>> From: Lorrie To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Pain Meds for Gilbert....
>> Message-ID: <20170614144306.ga...@lnx12.netgear.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>>
>> On 06-12, ROBERT CHAPEL wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you for all the responses re: pain meds....? I was hoping there 
>>> was something out there that I hadn't heard about ( actually there 
>>> are many but I was hoping for first hand experience)... The shelter 
>>> is mulling over providing Buprenorphine... but.. in the meantime I 
>>> got them to reinstate his prednisolone ( which is seemingly already 
>>> helping....HOPE it continues to do so)...? Wondering if anyone had 
>>> used larger doses than 5mg BID..
>>
>> Do you mean .5ml which is half of a 1ml syringe?
>>
>> My IBD cat gets .5 of prednisolone once a day and is doing very well
>> on it.  It does affect a cats immune system which is why it works
>> well with inflamatory problems like IBD (Inflamatory Bowel Disease),
>> but I never heard of using steroids for FelV positive cats, since
>> their immune systems are already compromised.  I will be very
>> interested in hearing about this.  Perhaps I missed some of your
>> posts.
>>
>> Lorrie
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:18:24 -0500
>> From: "Marilyn Knapp Litt" To: Subject: [Felvtalk] Life Gold and 
>> Nu-Pet Feline Antioxidant
>> Message-ID: <08a201d2e880$cde54ba0$69afe2e0$@marilynlitt.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>
>> Has anyone used these for FeLV?
>>
>>
>> My kitty, Destiny,  is battling a bad infection.  We were shocked to 
>> find
>> she had FeLV.  She had had the shot and a booster.  The vet was 
>> treating her
>> and the infection was getting worse and then we found out the terrible
>> truth.  I am feeding her food with a syringe and keeping her 
>> comfortable.
>> She is on an antibiotic.  I am giving her Essiac tea.  No idea if it 
>> is
>> effective.
>>
>>
>> I am going to get DMG because friends have suggested that for FeLV.
>>
>>
>> I also am looking at Life Gold and Nu-Pet Feline Antioxidant, but find 
>> info
>> on using them with cancer, not FeLV.  Anyone have a suggestion about
>> boosting her immune system and fighting this infection?  We thought we 
>> were
>> going to lose her this week, but she is slightly better the last 24 
>> hours.
>>
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>>
>>
>> ~Marilyn Knapp Litt
>>
>>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 20:17:21 -0400
>> From: Pam Doore To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Life Gold and Nu-Pet Feline Antioxidant
>> Message-ID:
>>      
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>
>> Hi Marilyn,  I have been using lysine gel to help my Mozart who has 
>> herpes
>> virus on top of the FeLu.
>> There was a powdered supplement that a FeLu rescue outside of Boston 
>> gives
>> to all of their cats to help build up immune system. I don't remember 
>> what
>> the name of that was.  It was originally given to humans with HIV.
>>
>> What kind of infection is Destiny fighting?
>>
>> ~~@~~~~~@~~~~~@~~~~~@~~~~~@~~~~
>>
>> *Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within 
>> me,
>> Christ beneath me, Christ above me. ? **St. Patrick*
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Marilyn Knapp Litt
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Subject: Digest Footer
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Felvtalk mailing list
>> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> End of Felvtalk Digest, Vol 38, Issue 7
>> ***************************************
>>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Felvtalk mailing list
>Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to