> On Nov 22, 2016, at 08:31, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 21, 2016, at 22:37, Marc Boxerman <mboxer...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Alexander,
>>
>> The build still failed using fink -l build openmpi.  I’m not sure what you
>> mean by the output getting “swallowed” but the build output went to stdout
>> as well as to the log file.  I’m attaching the log file for your review.
>>
>> Thanks for your continued assistance.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> By “swallowed”  I mean: “overwritten and lost”, e.g. due to something trying
> to be cute with control characters.
>
> I’ll generate a log file here and do a diff.
>
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison

I had a log file from yesterday’s test.  I found the issue, I think.  There was
indeed an earlier error:

./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_fstype.lo] Error 128
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_iread_fake.lo] Error 128
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_opencoll_scalable.lo] Error 128
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_subarray.lo] Error 129
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_write_nolock.lo] Error 128
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_write_coll.lo] Error 128
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_write_str_naive.lo] Error 129
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_iwrite_fake.lo] Error 129
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
./libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

:   error: Failed to create 'adio/common/.libs'
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3396: adio/common/ad_iwrite.lo] Error 1

OS X has a fairly ungenerous default number of processes and number of files
that it allows a user to open, so the build might well be triggering that,
particularly if you’re using your system for other stuff.

Fortunately, there are a few options:

1)  This version of openmpi is currently available in the 10.11 binary
distribution.

2)  If you really want a local build, try it at a point in time where you don’t
have a lot of other files/processes open.  Logging out or rebooting

3)  CAUTION:   Modify the limits.  This involves mucking around in the system
area, however.  Anyway, if you’re feeling bold, here’s a link:
http://blog.dekstroza.io/ulimit-shenanigans-on-osx-el-capitan/  .  Note that I
haven’t tried the method myself, because my usual solution when I want a local
build and forking won’t work is to do option #2 and do a build when I don’t
need the machine.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison