> On Nov 22, 2016, at 16:28, Schneider <schne...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
> Alexander:
>
>> It???s a very possible question, actually.  Here???s the situation.
>>
>> 1)  texlive-nox-base and texlive-base _aren???t_ identical.  The
>> -nox version is built without -x11 support.
>>
>> 2)  However, the short description field that fink uses is always
>> the same if different variants of a package are built using the same
>> package description, which is the case here.  That???s why the same
>> text shows up for the different packages.
>>
>> In addition, the dependency checker isn???t set up to remember what
>> you selected previously, so you will be prompted multiple times.
>
> Oh, thanks for the quick response.  If possible I would suggest
> modifying the question to be more clear:
>
> (1)     texlive-nox-base: Base programs for a TeX Live installation without
> X11
> (2)     texlive-base:     Base programs for a TeX Live installation with X11

That’s not currently possible.  The two packages share the same package
description file and therefore the same short description field.

> and/or say 'noX' or better 'no-X11’.

‘noX’ is illegal, because our packagnames are lowercase.

no-x11 would be a possibility, I guess, but changing  package namespaces is a
bit involved.

the -nox nomenclature comes from Linux packaging in the early 2000s  so it’s
got precedent.

> As for responding - I have X11 so should have selected (2)?

It’s up to you, since it’s not going to change the build.  I assume that
texlive is getting dragged in as part of a documentation build somewhere.  I’m
personally against forcing that, but it makes for a little more hassle in
having the docs be in separate packages.