Thanks Daniel & Alexander,

I tried the new version of fink-package-precedence but that didn't fix the
problem. In the end I, used the tip from Jack Howarth to get past the otool
errors:

cd /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin; sudo ln -sf otool-classic otool

Since I added this workaround, I've successfully built a large number of
packages under 10.12. Occasionally I'll get an error of an unresolved
dependence of package X by package Y.
When that occurs, I modify the .info file for package X to add 10.12 to the
explicit list of Distributions. For example, this came up with 'help2man-perl'
and the change was:

8c8,9
< (%type_pkg[systemperl] = 5182) 10.11
---
> (%type_pkg[systemperl] = 5182) 10.11,
> (%type_pkg[systemperl] = 5182) 10.12

So to recap where I stand now, with residual problems only in a few specific
packages:

1) say 'NO' to binary packages for now
2) patch the bootstrap modules to get Fink to build under 10.12
3) apply the otool workaround above
4) modify .info files as needed to add 10.12 as a valid distribution

I'll keep pushing forward to determine which packages aren't building properly,
but many have succeeded now (including gcc5) and it's going quite smoothly.

Thanks for the good advice,
John

On 08/06/16, Daniel Macks<dma...@netspace.org> wrote:

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 11:56:46 -0700, Alexander Hansen
<alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 2016, at 11:50, John Lillibridge <isb...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > I managed to get Fink to build via bootstrap under 10.12 beta
> (now 3). But certain packages fail to compile with the following
> types of errors when checking dependencies:
> > > fink-package-precedence --no-headers .
> > > Scanning binaries for incorrect dyld linking...
> > >
> /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/objdump:
>  'aclocal.m4': The file was not recognized as a valid object
> file.
> > > fatal error:
> /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/otool:
>  internal objdump command
> failed
> > > Error reading /usr/bin/otool -L: 256
> > > I get the same type of error using the Xcode-8-beta app as well
> as the Command Line Tools.
> > > Any ideas how to work around this?
>
> Apple decided to change the behavior of otool for Xcode 8 (how nice
> of them) and it now throws an error instead of silently ignoring
> non-object files.
>
> As a workaround, change line 263 of /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh to my $otool
> = '/usr/bin/otool-classic
>
> (I don’t have the Xcode 8 command-line tools deployed, so I’m not
> 100% sure that otool-classic is accessible there, however.)

I uploaded a new version of fink-package-precedence (0.19-1) that uses
"otool-classic" if present (falling back to "otool" if not), which
should resolve the problem. Please let me know--I don't have xcode8, so
I'm just implementing what Alexander, and several others on IRC and
other places, have reported.

dan

--
Daniel Macks