> On Aug 6, 2016, at 20:42, Daniel Macks <dma...@netspace.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 11:56:46 -0700, Alexander Hansen
> <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (now 3). But certain packages fail to compile with the following
>> types of errors when checking dependencies:
>>>>
>> /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/objdump:
>>  'aclocal.m4': The file was not recognized as a valid object
>> file.
>> /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/otool:
>>  internal objdump command
>> failed
>> as the Command Line Tools.
>>
>> Apple decided to change the behavior of otool for Xcode 8 (how nice
>> of them) and it now throws an error instead of silently ignoring
>> non-object files.
>>
>> As a workaround, change line 263 of /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh to my $otool
>> = '/usr/bin/otool-classic’
>>
>> (I don’t have the Xcode 8 command-line tools deployed, so I’m not
>> 100% sure that otool-classic is accessible there, however.)
>
> I uploaded a new version of fink-package-precedence (0.19-1) that uses
> "otool-classic" if present (falling back to "otool" if not), which
> should resolve the problem. Please let me know--I don't have xcode8, so
> I'm just implementing what Alexander, and several others on IRC and
> other places, have reported.
>
> dan
>

> --
> Daniel Macks
> dma...@netspace.org

otool-classic appears to be buried:

11:35am] howarth: note that otool-clasic is buried in
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
 and  /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin
[11:38am]

I guess we’d want to check the command-line tools location first.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison