> On Aug 14, 2016, at 07:16, Kevin Gardner <kevin.gard...@asrc.cuny.edu> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the feedback, TheSin; two things in reply:
>
> 1). Confirmed that this is a bootstrap installation of the new
> sierra-alpha-bravo branch. While the machine previously had an earlier fink
> installation on it, /sw was moved and a new shell was started before starting
> the bootstrap.
>
> 2). Agreed 100% that the root of the error is indeed in this odd call for
> fink install; my reason for flagging tar was simply that it had clearly been
> untar’ed and had its tar.c file modified on the lines before this.  You raise
> a great point, though — why’s a fink install being called before the
> bootstrap has finished installing a number of utilities (incl. tar, dpkg)?
>
> Glad to provide more info, etc. as helpful —
> Kevin

That’s by design, and has been the case for more than a decade.

What’s going on is that dpkg is one of the last packages that actually gets
built during the bootstrap.  We set up a “dpkg-bootstrap” package at the
beginning to fill in until all of the dependencies are built (including tar).

The problem here is with libgettext8 and libiconv.  They’re intertwined to the
point that we can’t use our ordinary dependency handling during bootstrap, and
so we resort to using an additional fink invocation to install the header
packages if they’re missing.   The system’s libiconv uses different names for
some of its symbols, so it’s not really an acceptable substitute.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison