I noticed that Fedora is building both --with-abi-version=5 and
--with-abi-version=6 in their ncurses 6.0 package...

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses.spec

but that the installed headers will only be for the --with-abi-version=6
build. Thus the legacy --with-abi-version=5 shlibs are only there for
back-ward compatibility and not new builds.