On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Daniel Johnson <daniel.johnso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Oct 6, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Jack Howarth <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that Fedora is building both --with-abi-version=5 and
> --with-abi-version=6 in their ncurses 6.0 package...
> >
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses.spec
> >
> > but that the installed headers will only be for the --with-abi-version=6
> build. Thus the legacy --with-abi-version=5 shlibs are only there for
> back-ward compatibility and not new builds.
> >

> Note I forgot to update the version in libncursesw5.info and ncurses.info
> to match and have now done so.
>
> The ncurses5 packages build with --with-abi-version=5 to be backward
> compatible while using the 6.0 source. The ncurses6 packages only use
> --with-abi-version=6. We’re going to need both for some time until
> everything can get updated. This way they can coexist.

I think you are still missing one step to fully mimic the Fedora packaging
approach. You need to convert your current ncurses.info into a
libncurses5.info which no longer contains the ncurses split-off and move
that one into libncurses6 instead (which could be refactored back into a
ncurses.info)

Daniel