> On Mar 5, 2017, at 03:31, Geert Jan van Oldenborgh <g...@me.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Alexander Hansen,
>
> First many thanks for maintaining gnuplot under Fink. It works great & I am
> very happy with it.
>
> I ran into a small problem recently: if I only upgrade gnuplot it forgets to
> upgrade a library it needs. Not sure whether it is peculiar to my two
> computers or more general, but it seems one dependency is not automatically
> upgraded as well, libong16.
>
> Thought you might want to know...
> Greetings from spring-like Gouda, Holland,
>       Geert Jam van Oldenborgh
>

> bash-3.2$ fink update gnuplot
> Information about 10157 packages read in 1 seconds.
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/main Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_main_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/injected Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_injected_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/main Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_main_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/injected Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_injected_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> The following package will be installed or updated:
> gnuplot
> The following 9 additional packages will be installed:
> app-defaults cairo-shlibs gd3-shlibs libdatrie1-shlibs libimagequant0-shlibs
> libthai libthai-shlibs
> pango1-xft2-ft219-shlibs pixman-shlibs
> Default answer will be chosen in 60 seconds...
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> bash-3.2$ gnuplot
> dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libpng16.16.dylib
>  Referenced from: /sw/lib/libgd.3.dylib
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: libgd.3.dylib requires version 42.0.0
> or later, but libpng16.16.dylib provides version 41.0.0
>
> bash-3.2$ fink update libpng16
> Information about 10157 packages read in 3 seconds.
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/main Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_main_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/injected Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_injected_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/main Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_main_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/injected Packages
> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_injected_binary-darwin-x86%5f64_Packages)
>  - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> [...]

This is not *my* problem for several reasons:

1)  The issue was with the combination of gd3-shlibs and libpng16, not specific
to gnuplot.  gnuplot doesn’t even have a direct dependency on libpng16.

2)  The cause of the issue is that you had an older version of libpng16 on your
machine than what gd3-shlibs was built with in the binary distribution.  Our
dependency procedure is based on the base setup of building everything from
source, where such an error won’t normally occur.  We don’t update the minimum
required version of every package that depend on libping16*, for example, just
because its version has been updated, because that’s a hassle for maintainers
and would force unnecessary rebuilds of packages for people.

3).The resolution is trivial, since it just requires updating the outdated
libpng16*.

Basically, just always make sure that all of your packages are up to date.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison