> On Jan 19, 2017, at 1:46 AM, Dmitry Yemanov <firebi...@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> 19.01.2017 00:51, Ann Harrison wrote:
>>
>> In what universe does that make sense?  The field is NOT NULL.  You're
>> storing NULL in it.  That's an error.
>
> I'd say it depends. What about a BEFORE trigger converting input NULL to
> something valid before storing?

Sure, a before trigger can fix up bad values and avoid an error.  I haven't
followed the development of the SQL standard for the past decade.   If it now
says that assigning NULL to a column that disallows NULLs means that you should
apply some other value in some cases, then I guess I know in what universe that
makes sense.

So what does 0-FEB-2017 mean in this brave new world?