On 2017-07-19 18:57, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
19.07.2017 17:44, Leyne, Sean wrote:

Why do we need to extend the current function?

Why not create separate, built-in, functions for each hash type with names* that align with the common algorithm name?

MD2()
MD5()
SHA0()
SHA1()
SHA_224()
SHA512_256()
SHA3_224()
SHA3_512()

Too many new keywords to be reserved.

Couldn't we get away with making these types of functions not reserved words? For example making them behave as normal functions?

(would save needing to look at documentation to determine the supported algorithms)?

HASH(X USING MD5) is self-documentary as well.

Yes, it does improve readability.

BTW: can I assume the hash functions will be binary (use OCTETS), and not hex encoded values?