>Hi Stefan,
>
>> I'm just reading through the Firebird 3 release notes.
>>
>> The chapter about "Increased Password Length" speaks of a maximum of
>> 20 bytes. The second blue box in this chapter then asks:
>>
>> **Why is the password effectively limited to 20 characters?
>>
>> It is unclear from this documentation if this is about bytes or
>> characters. What character set is used for storing passwords? Are
>> these restricted to 7-Bit US-ASCII? (in this case, the number of bytes
>> and characters would be the same).
>
>OTTOMH, password hashes are stored using character set OCTETS. No other
>charset would make sense, methinks. That would still leave open the
>possibility to enter passwords in multibyte charsets, but I don't know
>if this is supported. If it is, the 'effective length' as explained
>in the RelNotes would be 20 bytes, not characters.
>
>> (I hope this is the right forum for this question, if not, please
>> give me a hint.)

No, it's not the right forum.  The way it's documented now is what finally
satisfied Alex Peshkov.  Btw, we are talking about CHARACTERS, not bytes.
There was argument in firebird-admin, since the potential length of passwords
is now longer than anyone would remember and if you have to keep a file and
copy/paste in order to log in, it all seems a bit much...

"Effective" length has to do with the decoding algorithm (for potential brute
force hacking, natch), although I haven't figured out exactly how.  Alex
insists that it's pointless having a pw longer than about 20 characters.  So
ask him  on fb-devel and I'll watch and we might drag out something a bit more
useful for the RC1 notes.

Helen