Looking over the various mail lists, I don't see any successes building on
MacOS. The last thread on the topic was from 2006, and contacting the author
via email I learned he never got it working. So I'm trying it. I was able to
get considerably further than Brian through a few basic edits...

1) there is no FIREBIRD envar on the Mac, so all of the make machinery that
relies on it fails.

 -- I manually edited makefile.enviorn to set the FBINCDIR and FBLIBDIR
"manually". The examples of manual setting at the top don't work if you put
them up there, because the code below will override this change, so you have to
set these farther into the body of the make.

2) Firebird's header dir is (obviously) not in PATH or anything similar, so
ibase and iberror aren't found

-- this is true even if you, as suggested in 2006, move them into the local
header directory. However, a few minor edits from <ibase.h> to "ibase.h" solved
this problem.
-- It would seem that placing these files in Headers as part of the SF code
base would be a good idea?

3) OdbcConnection.cpp includes "InfoItems.h", which doesn't work

-- I changed this to "IscDbc/InfoItems.h" and it works. Why this doesn't cause
problems on other platforms suggests that there's yet another envar that's
"covering" for what appears to be a bug.

With those changes I was able to compile through to the end. Unfortunately, the
linker then had problems:

ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L-lcrypt'
ld: library not found for -lodbcinst

I assume these are what I believe them to be... libcrypt.a and some part of
unixodbc that I'm guessing handles the .ini files. So, can anyone provide me
with:

1) a *complete* list of the prerequisite libs?

2) advice on how to include these into a Mac build?

I really don't want to end up playing a game of whack-a-mole as each new
missing dependancy pops up.