flexbackup-at-worreby.ch |Lists| wrote:
  > 1. Have you the slightest idea how it's done in the reality?
>     That's standard procedure to restore full backup plus all
>     incrementals you have, if you invented some other schema,
>     please let me know
>     (at work we're currently backing up between 15-20 TB / night)
and
 > 2. What's worse? Dataloss or too much data!!!

Let us first agree that data loss is totally unacceptable.
I'm not arguing that data loss is a good thing. (Am i? Where?)

But for me, "too much data" is *ALSO* unacceptable, because it does not
represent reality. Let me illustrate with a scenario:

* I start with a directory e.g. under Apache's configuration that
   has a single file a.conf
* I make a full backup.
* rm a.conf
* Add a file b.conf
* (Notice that at no point in time was there ever more
   than one file in the directory)
* I make an incremental backup.
* Hard disk crash
* Restore full backup
* Restore incremental backup

Result with current flexbackup:

A directory containing both a.conf AND b.conf.

Wouldn't you rather end up with a directory containing *exactly* b.conf
- the exact contents of the directory when the incremental backup was made?

Ok, so in a directory where there is supposed to be 1 single file you
may be able to remember yourself to delete a.conf (because it is *not*
supposed to be there). Lets just hope I slept well and didn't remove
b.conf instead by accident because I was tired... ;)

But with "between 15-20 TB" of data as you put it? Who can remember
which of the gazillion files to delete?

No, I don't want that to be a guessing game.

In some (most?) cases, "too much data" is just annoying - not really
catastrophic. But in some cases (e.g. conf.d, cron.d, *.d directories,
or a file containing sensitive data that was deleted) this *is*
catastrophic. I could end up with a system that won't boot or misbehaves
or is dangerous after a full+incremental restore.

I will not trust my system+data to such a backup-system. Are *you*
comfortable with that? What is the down side of being able to restore
reliably?

You are right, I don't know "EMC Networker, Veritas Netbackup, HP Data
Protector", but I'm willing to bet they can restore a directory
containing *exactly* b.conf. (Am I right?)

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com