Quoting "Tim K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I'm thinking like BSD *nix here, but Linux (et al ) might be applicable.
>
> When a user ssh's as root using a shared key, both the
> PermitRootLogins parameter in sshd_config must be set to yes and the
> shared key must be accesible to the ssh daemon.  When using root
> from a command line, root knows where to look for its shared keys,
> but when run from a script as root, doesn't the path or home
> directory for root have to be set someplace?

You've successfully reminded me of what it was I needed to do.

It needs a key suitable for unattended interactive use in root's ssh
with the public key authorized on the other machines - and it's the
one thing I hadn't redone.

Many thanks all - I knew it would come to me if someone said the right thing.

The clue was also that, if I directly logged in as root, it prompted
for the password!

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]