Hi Robert,
I can confirm that I'm using a stock flexbackup 1.2.1-6 on ubuntu 8.10
without this issue.
I usually use a different product (backuppc actually) for nightly home
directories, so I thought I might just not have been hit by it. I use
flexbackup for mail spools and config directories as well as for snapshot
backups before doing any reconfiguration tasks...

I added a /home stanza to my flexbackup.conf and ran the job both with users
logged in
to GNOME (so ,gvfs was active), and late at night so that it wasn't.
I do get the same "find: `./.gvfs': Permission denied" entry in my log,
but it is not a showstopper. What backup format and medium are you choosing?
Would you mind posting your settings using something like:
*
egrep -v -e '(^#|^$)'  /etc/flexbackup.conf

*
Do you actually have a set defined as /home, or is it /home/robert ?
Your prune expressions are not being honoured according to your log.
You might find defining a set as /home/robert and adding

 $prune{'/home/robert'} = ".gvfs";

might be more effective.

You should probably put it into an exclude_expr as well as in:
*$exclude_expr[2] = '.*/.gvfs/.*';

*Good luck with it,
I'll be watching with interest.
I've been using flexbackup for years, and there's always a way out of these
hiccups!
NiallB
*

*2009/3/18 Robert Canner <robert.can...@tiscali.co.uk>