Thank you Steve for the example.
(I also had a look at the links you provided :)

Though all seem very straightforward, somehow it keeps on disregarding showing
the icons, without any errors.
Looks like the itemRenderer 'forgets' to place the icons, even if the iconField
is set at the mx:Menu control and points correctly to "@icon" property of the
dataProvider :)
The icons are properly embedded of course!

As other matters are more pressing now, I will drop this icon "looks"
improvement and remain with the labels already there, while keeping on with the
main project development. When I have time I will look again to this "problem"
for the shake of it.

Thanks again for your help
George